Florecita_Bella

Florida Drivers License (split)

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!
I tell you that I received my Prima Facie.
Before my ex-husband withdrew I-130, I was able to obtain a social security number, work permit, and New Jersey state driver's license.
Now I'm thinking about getting my driver's license from the state of Florida and then registering my car, but I have the following questions which I appreciate. Please help me clarify:
1. After obtaining a driver's license, can I register a vehicle in DMV using my old social security number? Please remember that this social security number was obtained before my ex-husband withdrew I-130 and USCIS denied my I-485.
2. As we all know, the Facie Premium does not grant a legal migratory benefit; Having said that, I would like to know if it would affect my immigration status in case I unfortunately received some transit ticket.
3. I have heard that DMV initially grants a cardboard license and then sends the original plastic card, please confirm.
4. Do I have to tell DMV that I had a driver's license from another state?
5. Do I have to take all the exams again?
I thank you in advance if someone can please help me with these concerns!

4 hours ago, Florecita_Bella said:

Hello everyone!
Before my ex-husband withdrew I-130, I was able to obtain a social security number, work permit, and New Jersey state driver's license.
Now I'm thinking about getting my driver's license from the state of Florida and then registering my car, but I have the following questions which I appreciate. Please help me clarify:
1. After obtaining a driver's license, can I register a vehicle in DMV using my old social security number? Please remember that this social security number was obtained before my ex-husband withdrew I-130 and USCIS denied my I-485.
2. As we all know, the Facie Premium does not grant a legal migratory benefit; Having said that, I would like to know if it would affect my immigration status in case I unfortunately received some transit ticket.
3. I have heard that DMV initially grants a cardboard license and then sends the original plastic card, please confirm.

1. There is no such thing as an old social security number. You are given one SSN for life. You will use the one you got for everything your entire life, so yes you can use it for vehicle registration. 

2. I don’t understand what you mean with transit ticket. 

3. You get a temporary piece of paper until they are able to verify your immigration status and print your actual card. You can use this to drive but not for identification purposes. 

4. Depends on your state’s application form. DMV’s have different forms/rules in every state. Just look at the driver license application form online. 

5. Again, every state has different rules. Most likely they will make you take the test if your old driver’s license expired a long time ago and you are applying for a new license. If you are applying for a renewal license they might not make you pay the fees but you have to be able to show them the info of your old license. 

As this is not VAWA related, I suggest you ask this in a thread in this forum about your state. They might help you better. 

2 hours ago, genius2003 said:

Sandra can you see my previous posts and tell me if my I-360 has been approved please?

got a text saying my application has been updated and email saying that 'they ordered my new card" what card? And also in the website says “New card is being produced. But not update saying that my application has been approved can you please help with that 

Most likely yes. You will receive an approval notice in the mail and that’s when you know you are approved. 

6 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

1. There is no such thing as an old social security number. You are given one SSN for life. You will use the one you got for everything your entire life, so yes you can use it for vehicle registration. 

2. I don’t understand what you mean with transit ticket. 

3. You get a temporary piece of paper until they are able to verify your immigration status and print your actual card. You can use this to drive but not for identification purposes. 

4. Depends on your state’s application form. DMV’s have different forms/rules in every state. Just look at the driver license application form online. 

5. Again, every state has different rules. Most likely they will make you take the test if your old driver’s license expired a long time ago and you are applying for a new license. If you are applying for a renewal license they might not make you pay the fees but you have to be able to show them the info of your old license. 

As this is not VAWA related, I suggest you ask this in a thread in this forum about your state. They might help you better.  

Hello iwillsurvive,
1. I am referring to the consequences that could have in the migratory aspect the fact of receiving a tiket for a possible traffic infraction, for example, taking a red light.
2. After the original plastic card is received, can that (original) card be used as a personal identification?
Thank you very much for your help!!

Filed: Timeline

@Florecita_Bella Basic traffic tickets wont have any impact on completing VAWA- doing something like getting a DUI (drunk driving) can impact you being able to prove good moral character- esp if someone is injured.

And yes, when you get a DL or state ID from DMV it is considered a valid form of US ID. Check your states DMV website to find out if you need to take the exam again (Ive moved several times and never had to take the driving part- but they do make you take the written part to make sure you know the states laws- get a book from DMV to study- if you are already a seasoned driver it should only take a few minutes to review how many feet to stop/railroad-bus laws etc). 

2 minutes ago, Damara said:

@Florecita_Bella Basic traffic tickets wont have any impact on completing VAWA- doing something like getting a DUI (drunk driving) can impact you being able to prove good moral character- esp if someone is injured.

And yes, when you get a DL or state ID from DMV it is considered a valid form of US ID. Check your states DMV website to find out if you need to take the exam again (Ive moved several times and never had to take the driving part- but they do make you take the written part to make sure you know the states laws- get a book from DMV to study- if you are already a seasoned driver it should only take a few minutes to review how many feet to stop/railroad-bus laws etc). 

Thank you Damara for your help!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
12 hours ago, Florecita_Bella said:

Hello everyone!

Hey,

I got my DL in Florida using my social security, my passport, Prima Facie and my old and expired DL from Texas and did't have to re-take any exams. It's an out of state DL transfer. Bring this form printed out: https://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/aila/acceptabledocuments.pdf  (PAGE 16 says I360) as the clerks might not be familiar with PF letter.

Once you get to the DMV I recommend you speak to the DL manager and let them know you are a battered exwife, this will make things easier as it will take way too long for them to verify your identity and ship your DL. Ask the manager to call the Tallahassee office as well. I waited for mine for more than 3 months. Good luck!

Edited by nap_o

1 hour ago, nap_o said:

Hey,

I got my DL in Florida using my social security, my passport, Prima Facie and my old and expired DL from Texas and did't have to re-take any exams. It's an out of state DL transfer. Bring this form printed out: https://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/aila/acceptabledocuments.pdf  (PAGE 16 says I360) as the clerks might not be familiar with PF letter.

Once you get to the DMV I recommend you speak to the DL manager and let them know you are a battered exwife, this will make things easier as it will take way too long for them to verify your identity and ship your DL. Ask the manager to call the Tallahassee office as well. I waited for mine for more than 3 months. Good luck! 

While you waited for 3 months for your DL to arrive, did DMV give you a temporary DL with which you could drive while waiting for the oginial ID (DL)?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

While you waited for 3 months for your DL to arrive, did DMV give you a temporary DL with which you could drive while waiting for the oginial ID (DL)?

It's just a piece of paper and you can d rive with that but cannot use it for identification purposes. When you drive, always carry another form of ID plus the paper they'll give you. I had to go several times to DMV to make sure they did mail my card. What part of Florida are you going to? If it's Miami, I recommend going to NORTH DADE JUSTICE CENTER, that's where the manager was actually helpful; not clueless like the other clerks at the other offices.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, Florecita_Bella said:

I agree with @nap_o

I live in Tallahassee, have them call the Tallahassee location. 

I applied with my PF and temp SS.

I got a piece of paper that allowed me to drive legally while they mailed out my DL. Only took about 3-4 weeks for myn to arrive. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~11 posts removed from the VAWA part 11 thread as the question and related replies are not appropriate for that thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I hope please understand that this question is directly related to obtaining the DL through VAWA, so I understand that I can do it in this forum.
I appreciate please help me with the following concern:

I tell you that yesterday I went to DMV to get my license and they gave me a “TEMPORARY DRIVING PERMIT”.
After checking the online status of the driver's license on the Link [https://services.flhsmv.gov/DLCheck/] I could notice the following message:

1702032465_StatusDLonline.thumb.png.b8cec78c7425f4777bd1fe469efa686b.png

This message indicates that I must present the application in person at an office and present proof of legal presence to receive a driver's license or renewal or replacement identification card.

Can you please tell me why this happened and if the same thing happened to you?

What should I do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by Florecita_Bella

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

Hello,

I hope please understand that this question is directly related to obtaining the DL through VAWA, so I understand that I can do it in this forum.
I appreciate please help me with the following concern:

I tell you that yesterday I went to DMV to get my license and they gave me a “TEMPORARY DRIVING PERMIT”.
After checking the online status of the driver's license on the Link [https://services.flhsmv.gov/DLCheck/] I could notice the following message:

1702032465_StatusDLonline.thumb.png.b8cec78c7425f4777bd1fe469efa686b.png

This message indicates that I must present the application in person at an office and present proof of legal presence to receive a driver's license or renewal or replacement identification card.

Can you please tell me why this happened and if the same thing happened to you?

What should I do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

There is no such thing “ to apply DL through Vawa”.

One of VJ moderator last week redirected all messages regarding DL to another forum,please follow the VJ policy/guidelines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.