AOK

NOA2 received - now what? Please help

11 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm feeling super lost with this whole process at the moment and what I'm supposed to be doing and when ... I just found this forum and was hoping that someone would be able to help! 

So my fiancee (petitioner) received our NOA2 in the post on 27/09, it was dated 19/09 - we never filled out the form allowing electronic communication (did not know we had to and now I am kicking myself about it because I know it speeds everything up not having to wait for things to arrive in the post.) We tried calling the NVC to give them our email addresses but they said that they have not received our case from USCIS yet and they cannot attach info to the file until they have it.

So my first question is - how long is it taking at the moment for NVC to receive cases and assign LDN case numbers? Ours was sent from the California service center. We just want to know when the best time to call and ask for our case number would be, as we have already phoned twice now and don't want to become a nuisance haha 

And next, once we have the LDN case number, in what order should I book my medical, submit the DS-160 form and book the interview? I have read so many different people's experiences and timelines that I've become completely lost about what I am supposed to do and in what order. 

At the moment while we wait for the case number to be assigned I am applying for my police certificate and getting my vaccine history from my GP, as well as preparing the affidavit of support and getting my photographs done. I would just like to know what needs to be done next and hopefully get an idea of when it would all start to happen as I am eager to get over there in time for Christmas and my fiancee's birthday. 

Sorry this post is so long, if anyone can help with any part of this that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think at the moment, it is taking up to a month before a case number. I would call again in 2 weeks.

have you gotten your police certificate? I would get your medical summary ready. Fill out the DS-160. Once you have the LDN, book the medical. Then schedule the interview at least a week to two weeks apart. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, AOK said:

And next, once we have the LDN case number, in what order should I book my medical, submit the DS-160 form and book the interview? I have read so many different people's experiences and timelines that I've become completely lost about what I am supposed to do and in what order. 

I suggest you read everything the instructions for the embassy in London tell you to do. There are four steps and many links to read for information. Read the FAQs too. Learn the real process well before you start taking shortcuts based on snippets of info in a forum. 

Official instructions:  https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

Scroll down and read the four steps first, then all the links at the top for the details. The steps look like this screen capture

IMG_1700.thumb.PNG.4adb4acabe471b16a08fd1c453fb7299.PNG

Edited by Wuozopo

44 minutes ago, britishandusa said:

I think at the moment, it is taking up to a month before a case number. I would call again in 2 weeks.

have you gotten your police certificate? I would get your medical summary ready. Fill out the DS-160. Once you have the LDN, book the medical. Then schedule the interview at least a week to two weeks apart. 

Thank you! 

I am applying for my police certificate today, and I've just got my vaccine history printed from my GP. All I need is my flu shot and seeing as I would have to pay to get it at my GP anyway I'm just going to get it at the medical. As I have just registered at a new practice they said that it's best to wait a couple weeks til all my records are transferred til they pull up my patient summary, but they said they could do that the same day I request it so I can wait til nearer the time of my medical to ask for that. 

I thought I need the LDN number to fill out the DS-160? Once I have it should I fill out the form before or after booking the medical?  

22 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I suggest you read everything the instructions for the embassy in London tell you to do. There are four steps and many links to read for information. Read the FAQs too. Learn the real process well before you start taking shortcuts based on snippets of info in a forum. 

Official instructions:  https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

Scroll down and read the four steps first, then all the links at the top for the details. The steps look like this screen capture

IMG_1700.thumb.PNG.4adb4acabe471b16a08fd1c453fb7299.PNG

Thank you for your concern but I have read and re-read everything there is to read on the embassy website. I was merely turning to people on here for some advise as it is nice to actually talk to someone about the process rather than just read pages and pages of information. I also just wanted some clarification on the order of things as I found the embassy website contradictory and I also know that this embassy page is from a few years ago. Current information and timelines are a lot more helpful, and so I came on here to ask. 

Timeline

👍Gotcha. As long as you have read the details of all the things you need for the various upcoming events, then you're good.

You'd be surprised how many have not read like you have,  and suddenly they are in a panic because they are headed to the medical and don't have their GP report. Or they mess up on the visa payment part. Or on interview day, they don't have the right birth certificate. Congrats on planning ahead. You will do well. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 10/5/2018 at 10:55 AM, AOK said:

Thank you! 

I am applying for my police certificate today, and I've just got my vaccine history printed from my GP. All I need is my flu shot and seeing as I would have to pay to get it at my GP anyway I'm just going to get it at the medical. As I have just registered at a new practice they said that it's best to wait a couple weeks til all my records are transferred til they pull up my patient summary, but they said they could do that the same day I request it so I can wait til nearer the time of my medical to ask for that. 

I thought I need the LDN number to fill out the DS-160? Once I have it should I fill out the form before or after booking the medical?  

I don’t really remember if you need the LDN number for the DS-160. I know you’ll definitely need it before you schedule your medical! 

You’ll need the case number before you can do ANYTHING. 

NVC sends out all cases in two weekly batches (someone correct me if I’m wrong) if you’ve received NOA2 in the mail, I would probably give NVC a call at the end of this coming week. If anything they’ll say no and to call back next week. 

But you can’t book your medical, do the DS-160 or anything until you have that case number.

You’re doing the right thing for now, get your vaccination history, your medical summary report, ACRO certificate, photos done, affidavit of support and all connecting documents to that done too. 

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Timeline
10 hours ago, britishandusa said:

I don’t really remember if you need the LDN number for the DS-160. I know you’ll definitely need it before you schedule your medical! 

The LND number is not needed for the DS-160. It asks for the USCIS case number, though people often misunderstand that and put in the Dept of State case number instead. 

DS-160: Frequently Asked Question

Help: Application Receipt/Petition Number

If you are applying for a petition-based visa, your application receipt/petition number was given to you by the Department of Homeland Security’s U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you filed your petition application at a USCIS Service Center. The application receipt/petition number is 13 characters long and the first three characters are letters.

27 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The LND number is not needed for the DS-160. It asks for the USCIS case number, though people often misunderstand that and put in the Dept of State case number instead. 

DS-160: Frequently Asked Question

Help: Application Receipt/Petition Number

If you are applying for a petition-based visa, your application receipt/petition number was given to you by the Department of Homeland Security’s U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you filed your petition application at a USCIS Service Center. The application receipt/petition number is 13 characters long and the first three characters are letters.

Now you have me worried because I can’t remember if I put the USCIS number or LND number.

Does it matter hugely if it’s put as the LND number?

Will I need to redo a whole new DS-160?

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Timeline
3 hours ago, chlosicles said:

Now you have me worried because I can’t remember if I put the USCIS number or LND number.

Does it matter hugely if it’s put as the LND number?

Will I need to redo a whole new DS-160?

People put both. It doesn't matter. Nothing needs to be corrected or mentioned. I've read plenty of threads where it was argued (after the fact) which to put. All were approved without the slightest hitch. 

It's an example of people don't read the government's instructions and believe what the first person on a forum tells them, which happens to be incorrect. In this instance, it doesn't affect anything. It is a cross reference to match the petition up with the visa application. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.