Jump to content

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know anything about immigrating Canadian citizens with native status to the US? I just discovered that jays treaty allows natives to Canada that have native legal status can immigrate freely to the United States. Any information would be useful ! Thank you !

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Moved to General Immigration, from Bringing Family of USC~~


Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an article that directly addresses this question--it is a confusing issue so do your homework and try to get answers from USCIS on current policy regarding documentation and process.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to look into it at work a few years back and the source that was explaining it best was here:


I ended up contacting them to validate some details.


Note that I am not covered under the treaty, my research was only for work.  Legal dept later confirmed the information was accurate [for our needs].

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

I just discovered that jays treaty allows natives to Canada that have native legal status can immigrate freely to the United States.

Yup; from US embassy https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/first-nations-and-native-americans/:


Under the treaty and corresponding legislation, Native Indians born in Canada are entitled to freely enter the United States for the purpose of employment, study, retirement, investing, and/or immigration.

A Canadian passport is not required (except if you travel by air): https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/998/

As per the links provided by @Lemonslice, it is necessary to apply for a SSN if you want to work. You will also need an acceptable photo ID included in List B of I-9 Central. Applying for a green card is not required, but it is recommended if your end goal is to become a naturalized US citizen, https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/american-indian-born-in-canada:


If you live outside the United States and are seeking to enter the United States, you must tell the Customs and Border Protection officer that you are an American Indian born in Canada and provide documentation to support your claim. You must also state that you are seeking to enter to reside permanently in the United States.


If you live in the United States and are an American Indian who is born in Canada and who possesses at least 50% American Indian blood, you may obtain a Permanent Resident Card (green card) by requesting a creation of record.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.