Jessandc

DS-160 : Relative's status

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi VJers! I would like to ask about DS-160 filling in Family Information part. My mom fills out the DS-160 to visit and attend my wedding in the US. There is a question "Do you have any immediate relatives, not including parents, in the United States?" and my mom clicks "Yes" since I am in the States now. Then she has to provide the following information, such as Surnames, Given Names, Relationship to You, and Relative's Status. We are confused what to select on the Relative's Status. I am a K1 Visa holder but not married yet now.

Should we select U.S. Legal Permanent Resident (LPR), Nonimmigrant, or Other/I don't know? I am pretty confused since K1 Visa seems like a hybrid of nonimmigrant and immigrant visa. I would appreciate any advice from y'all. Thank you in advance! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

A K1 is a non-immigrant visa. Your mom can either put "Non-immigrant" or "Other/I don't know." 

She can then explain your situation if an officer asks. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi, did your mom get the visa?

I am on the process for a K1, and I want my mom, sister and nephews to be at my wedding. Should I wait to be at the US for them to apply? or get them to apply before I travel to the US? I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. 

®️

Timeline

Hi @Valmabe . I apply the visa for my mom and brother after I travel to the US. This is my personal experience and I think you could apply either way :) For me, I prefer to apply after I enter the US so I can send them my wedding invitation and details about it (although the interviewer may not ask for those documents but we’re over-prepared). Besides that, my mom and brother couldn’t travel together with me since they have a job and school to do in home country, and my wedding will be held one month after my arrival in the US. It’s a pretty long time and they can’t stay that long in the US.  That’s my main concern why I apply after I enter the US. In my opinion, you can do that either way. Good luck and wish you the best! :) 

Sorry I miss your first question @Valmabe . They haven’t had the interview yet. But I do hope the best for my mom and brother! :) 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Jessandc said:

Hi @Valmabe . I apply the visa for my mom and brother after I travel to the US. This is my personal experience and I think you could apply either way :) For me, I prefer to apply after I enter the US so I can send them my wedding invitation and details about it (although the interviewer may not ask for those documents but we’re over-prepared). Besides that, my mom and brother couldn’t travel together with me since they have a job and school to do in home country, and my wedding will be held one month after my arrival in the US. It’s a pretty long time and they can’t stay that long in the US.  That’s my main concern why I apply after I enter the US. In my opinion, you can do that either way. Good luck and wish you the best! :) 

Sorry I miss your first question @Valmabe . They haven’t had the interview yet. But I do hope the best for my mom and brother! :) 

Thanks for your reply, we will decide what to do this week. Wish you luck with your application.

®️

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 10/1/2018 at 10:38 AM, Jessandc said:

Hi @Jessandc I'm currently waiting for NOA 2 now (April 2018 filer here). I also plan to invite my parents to attend the wedding in the US. We plan to travel together but they will apply the tourist visa after my K1 Fiance visa is approved.

How are your mother and your brother visas? Where do they have the interview, in Jakarta or Surabaya? Please give us an update. Thank you 😀

K1 Visa

04/23/2018 - Mailed I-129F package to Dallas, TX

04/25/2018 - NOA 1 (old website)

04/30/2018 - Electronic NOA 1 (new website)

05/04/2018 - Received NOA 1 Hardcopy in mailbox (Notice Date : 04/30/2018)

11/06/2018 - NOA 2 via text message and old website

Timeline
13 hours ago, tirzajogja said:

Hi @Jessandc I'm currently waiting for NOA 2 now (April 2018 filer here). I also plan to invite my parents to attend the wedding in the US. We plan to travel together but they will apply the tourist visa after my K1 Fiance visa is approved.

How are your mother and your brother visas? Where do they have the interview, in Jakarta or Surabaya? Please give us an update. Thank you 😀

Hi @tirzajogja My mom and brother had the interview in Jakarta, but only my mom that was granted the tourist visa. Still feel bad but at least the officer allows one of them to attend my wedding :) In my case, I prepared some documents (wedding invitation and invitation letter from me and fiancé) for mom and brother and the officer did look at the documents thoroughly (based on what mom told me). My mom said not all officer want to see the documents we bring, but better safe than sorry :) 

Best luck for you and parents! 

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Update. Hi Mum, sister and minor niece applied. Only mum and sister got visa approved. Still on the k1 process. Our main concern was my application, but it didn't came up at all. Picking up pasaports tomorrow with a visa 😃. Sorry for the late update.

Edited by Valmabe

®️

Timeline
On 12/2/2018 at 6:39 PM, Valmabe said:

Update. Hi Mum, sister and minor niece applied. Only mum and sister got visa approved. Still on the k1 process. Our main concern was my application, but it didn't came up at all. Picking up pasaports tomorrow with a visa 😃. Sorry for the late update.

Hi @Valmabe So glad to hear that your mom and sister got the visa approved! :D and I am sorry for your niece, wish she can try at another time :) Be patient on the K1 process, I know how it feels, but it will be worth in the end :)  I really wish you a best luck on the process! 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Jessandc said:

Hi @Valmabe So glad to hear that your mom and sister got the visa approved! :D and I am sorry for your niece, wish she can try at another time :) Be patient on the K1 process, I know how it feels, but it will be worth in the end :)  I really wish you a best luck on the process! 

That's very nice of you, thanks for taking the time to reply. My niece is just a kid, we'll for sure try again later.

®️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.