Keith & Arileidi

Trump Boasts About Steel Industry’s ‘New Life' As More Steelworkers Vote To Strike

62 posts in this topic

"This week, 15,000 members of a major steelworkers union unanimously voted to authorize a nationwide strike at plants operated by steel giant ArcelorMittal if negotiations over new contracts flounder. The vote follows a unanimous strike authorization made by 16,000 U.S. Steel workers this month. "

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steelworkers-strike-arcelormittal_us_5ba1f222e4b046313fc09016

God speed, my brothers and sisters. 

52 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

"This week, 15,000 members of a major steelworkers union unanimously voted to authorize a nationwide strike at plants operated by steel giant ArcelorMittal if negotiations over new contracts flounder. The vote follows a unanimous strike authorization made by 16,000 U.S. Steel workers this month. "

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steelworkers-strike-arcelormittal_us_5ba1f222e4b046313fc09016

God speed, my brothers and sisters. 

It never ceases to amaze the overreach people will use to discredit all the unbridled winning. What Trump said is 100% accurate.  He has breathed new life into the steel industry. They are striking because they want a bigger share of the winning. It's great we are at a point workers are contemplating strikes for increased benefits and wages.  Not too long ago they were making concessions to keep their jobs. MAGA heck YA. Roll Trump Roll

snip--Workers at both companies say they want a bigger portion of the windfall that their firms have reaped in recent years. Even before Trump’s tariffs, the U.S. steel industry had been enjoying strong growth. And since the president’s protectionist measures, the Luxembourg-based ArcelorMittal, which has mills in several states including Illinois and Indiana, and Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel have reported surging profits"

31 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

It never ceases to amaze the overreach people will use to discredit all the unbridled winning. What Trump said is 100% accurate.  He has breathed new life into the steel industry. They are striking because they want a bigger share of the winning. It's great we are at a point workers are contemplating strikes for increased benefits and wages.  Not too long ago they were making concessions to keep their jobs. MAGA heck YA. Roll Trump Roll

snip--Workers at both companies say they want a bigger portion of the windfall that their firms have reaped in recent years. Even before Trump’s tariffs, the U.S. steel industry had been enjoying strong growth. And since the president’s protectionist measures, the Luxembourg-based ArcelorMittal, which has mills in several states including Illinois and Indiana, and Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel have reported surging profits"

Trump's tarrifs are unfairly hurting my industry but at the same befiting steel companies.. if these companies plan to benefiting off the tariffs, why shouldn't the workers also take advantage? 

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

50 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

I also need to add... Why are you so concern about trump winning whilst bashing middle class working for wanting to gain something from Trump's victories? 

All political, no practicality.. tisk tisk..

3 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

I also need to add... Why are you so concern about trump winning whilst bashing middle class working for wanting to gain something from Trump's victories? 

All political, no practicality.. tisk tisk..

Highlight the part where I ever said they should not benefit?  

17 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

Highlight the part where I ever said they should not benefit?  

I may have read your first post wrong. 

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Trump's tarrifs are unfairly hurting my industry but at the same befiting steel companies.. if these companies plan to benefiting off the tariffs, why shouldn't the workers also take advantage? 

Is the "unfairly hurting my industry... benefiting steel companies" part your words, or from the article?  If yours, how has your job been unfairly affected?

No one said the workers don't deserve more.  Union workers striking for higher wages is nothing new.  Has been going on since the first union.  That's WHY unions exist.

Also, they can't just up and strike.  They have to do it in accordance with US laws and union rules.  It's a negotiating tactic, the same as you telling your boss you'll quit if he doesn't give you a raise.

The title is just clickbait.

43 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Is the "unfairly hurting my industry... benefiting steel companies" part your words, or from the article?  If yours, how has your job been unfairly affected?

No one said the workers don't deserve more.  Union workers striking for higher wages is nothing new.  Has been going on since the first union.  That's WHY unions exist.

Also, they can't just up and strike.  They have to do it in accordance with US laws and union rules.  It's a negotiating tactic, the same as you telling your boss you'll quit if he doesn't give you a raise.

The title is just clickbait.

1. My company uses a massive amount of steel and aluminum. ( Higher prices = less profits)

2. I live in the Midwest ,China's retaliatory tarrifs are directed towards Michigan's economy. 

3. China's retaliatory tarrifs targets the products my company exports to China. 

4. Michigan is a HUGE trade partner with Canada. ( This one is pretty complex mainly dealing with good that cross the detroit - Windsor border)

I already adressed your second paragraph.. 

I am well aware of how striking works.. i actually work in a union shop. Any union worth thier salt would strike as long as they did not ditch their strike clause during the last collective bargaining agreement. 

I worked in manufacturing as a bargaining unit employee.  I was anti union and did not join. No one bullies me. 

I later was promoted to management and eventually to higher management. 

Oddly enough i became more pro union after my time in management and become more exposed to how little of darn upper management gives about the rank and file. 

Still the union could be bone headed.  My biggest gripe was protecting sorry no goods etc

Filed: Timeline
23 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

1. My company uses a massive amount of steel and aluminum. ( Higher prices = less profits)

2. I live in the Midwest ,China's retaliatory tarrifs are directed towards Michigan's economy. 

3. China's retaliatory tarrifs targets the products my company exports to China. 

4. Michigan is a HUGE trade partner with Canada. ( This one is pretty complex mainly dealing with good that cross the detroit - Windsor border)

I already adressed your second paragraph.. 

I am well aware of how striking works.. i actually work in a union shop. Any union worth thier salt would strike as long as they did not ditch their strike clause during the last collective bargaining agreement. 

Well, sorry you are feeling the pinch in your industry.  I’m sure that aspect can be said of several industries around the country.  But in the end, isn’t it better for the US economy as a whole?  Your company gives up profits so that the steel industry can have more.  China is cut out of the loop (at least partially), and the money stays in the US.  

Any union worth their salt will negotiate and mediate until resolution is accomplished.  A strike hurts everyone, that’s why it’s a last-ditch effort.  A CBA can be had in lieu of a strike if both sides are willing to give.

ETA: Wasn’t disparaging your knowledge of unions, simply saying what little I know.  Just over two years ago I became a member for the first time in my life.  Still not a fan, but I understand the why.  Still learning the ropes.

Edited by Satisfied

I also worked at Bethlehem Steel in the 80's and 90's while it was in it's death throes, amazingly poorly run union, struck for profit sharing to be guaranteed even in the midst of crippling losses, voted to allow a 2-tier wage structure to benefit long term union members , elected a local officer

who had been jailed from embezzling from said union ...

Edited by Randyandyuni

13 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

I also worked at Bethlehem Steel in the 80's and 90's while it was in it's death throes, amazingly poorly run union, struck for profit sharing to be guaranteed even in the midst of crippling losses, voted to allow a 2-tier wage structure to benefit long term union members , elected a local officer

who had been jailed from embezzling from said union ...

This personally angers me, and is why unionization is on the decline. 

15 hours ago, Satisfied said:

Well, sorry you are feeling the pinch in your industry.  I’m sure that aspect can be said of several industries around the country.  But in the end, isn’t it better for the US economy as a whole?  Your company gives up profits so that the steel industry can have more.  China is cut out of the loop (at least partially), and the money stays in the US.  

Any union worth their salt will negotiate and mediate until resolution is accomplished.  A strike hurts everyone, that’s why it’s a last-ditch effort.  A CBA can be had in lieu of a strike if both sides are willing to give.

ETA: Wasn’t disparaging your knowledge of unions, simply saying what little I know.  Just over two years ago I became a member for the first time in my life.  Still not a fan, but I understand the why.  Still learning the ropes.

You don't have to be sorry. Its not your fault, your leader wants to decide who wins and who losses in our economy to feed his ego mania. 

Also remember that most of the steel  made on the west coast gets shipped in from South/central America(low quality).  

And is simply refined into a high quality product.

These large companies will have to make cuts to accommodate for the tarrifs.

Another honorable mention..

Microbrews in Michigan  are being hit with the higher cost of aluminum. Its obvious that microbrews run on a shallower budget because they try to aim for a more quality over quantity business model. Essientially, giving them less power to buy wholesale to offset high can prices. 

I have to admit ... There's always the chance that prices will come down when the market hits equilibrium. 

But most small businesses that use these products don't have the capital to wait for something that may never happen. 

Shout out to:

Bells

Founders 

DragonsMead