dee&vee

Speeding Ticket and N400 Interview - Would a pending ticket be issue during interview?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have an N400 application pending and currently waiting for interview. I just received a first speeding ticket few days ago and I am thinking to contest it in the court. I am expecting interview within next 4-5 months and resolving this ticket would likely take 3-4 months. 

Question - If I get an interview while I am waiting for court date, would a pending ticket be an issue during the N-400 interview? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
33 minutes ago, love_my_wife said:

Bad advise in my opinion... The question on the form is not "Have you been proven guilty" but "Have you been ever cited" so he should definitely confess.. In these times, this applicant shouldn't be caught on the wrong side for a trivial issue like traffic ticket.  

True, although they can't somehow use it as a basis to remove citizenship per a supreme court ruling from last year:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/supreme-court-questions-whether-lying-about-speeding-body-weight-can-cost-citizenship

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/22/us/politics/supreme-court-citizenship.html

As for OP the question clearly states "ever cited", which would be true in your case irregardless of the outcome, so you'll need to update them on that during the interview. Though I've personally never had a ticket, when I was helping someone fill out the form the question initially didn't seem as though it covered traffic tickets until we later learned the meaning of "cited". They really need to clear up some of these questions. Also, a simple traffic ticket is rarely ever an issue, irregardless of whether it's pending or not, especially if it's a traffic ticket below a certain amount.

Edited by gnakr

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

Timeline
12 hours ago, afrocraft said:

Huh? I wouldn't take that risk. I would 'fess up and let them know the status of the case. Don't get yourself involved in material non-disclosure with USCIS.

8 hours ago, gnakr said:

True, although they can't somehow use it as a basis to remove citizenship per a supreme court ruling from last year:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/supreme-court-questions-whether-lying-about-speeding-body-weight-can-cost-citizenship

As for OP the question clearly states "ever cited", which would be true in your case irregardless of the outcome, so you'll need to update them on that during the interview. Though I've personally never had a ticket, when I was helping someone fill out the form the question initially didn't seem as though it covered traffic tickets until we later learned the meaning of "cited". They really need to clear up some of these questions. Also, a simple traffic ticket is rarely ever an issue, irregardless of whether it's pending or not, especially if it's a traffic ticket below a certain amount.

Thank for responding. I definitely don't plan on not disclosing the ticket since it's a mere speeding ticket well below $500 fine amount. My only concern is getting interview while ticket is pending for court date. Would a pending speeding ticket hold immigration officer from approving my N400? I have read of cases where they asked for documents proving applicant had paid fine and resolved the ticket, but haven't came across any case with a pending ticket during the interview. 

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, you need to mention the ticket at the interview. If the case hasn't been adjudicated by that time, your N-400 may take a bit longer. It's also possible that the I.O. either requests you to mail in the court papers after disposition or (less likely) bring them to the Oath Ceremony to be signed off by him or her.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

In my interview last year November,  I asked my interviewer specifically about this and she said we need to mention the traffic ticket on the form. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Timeline
On 10/15/2018 at 12:22 PM, santiagosilva said:

Any updates on your case? i just got myself in the same situation. N400 filed back in Feb of this year, just got my first ever speeding ticket last night.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:10 PM, Brother Hesekiel said:

Yes, you need to mention the ticket at the interview. If the case hasn't been adjudicated by that time, your N-400 may take a bit longer. It's also possible that the I.O. either requests you to mail in the court papers after disposition or (less likely) bring them to the Oath Ceremony to be signed off by him or her.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:10 PM, gnakr said:

On 9/14/2018 at 10:33 AM, love_my_wife said:

Now, that could only be answered by someone who has been in this situation before.... or an experienced attorney who has come across such a case!

All, thanks for your responses. I was able to contest the ticket in court, and got demerit points removed from record as a result. I paid the fine court assigned to my ticket have proof of payment. So it all worked out before i received interview date. 

To anyone else in same situation, I think it's worth contesting the ticket as long as traffic court can schedule your case prior to interview. Reach out to the court or attorneys that are in same area as court and ask them on their schedules. During interview you will need to disclose the ticket if asked and provide proof of payment or any court documents to prove that it's not pending anymore. 

Based on my previeuse experience ..you should not have any pending ticket  at your interview

I payed my trafic ticket before my interview .

And as i expected  on the 23 question did you have been cited arested  ..i didnt answe yes ..but i answe i had 2 traficc tickets ..the oficer after that ask me if i pay them i said yes ..and we move to the next question after that ...

the oficcer didnt change or add anything on my n400 form

my thoughts to you i f you get any ticket under 500 pay it  mention it bexause it can cause a delay to your application

Edited by Diamondsstar

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.