microcebus

Consulate keeping passport?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiancée and I have our NOA2 (dated August 3) for her K-1 visa.  VisaJourney's guide to the Sydney consulate says, "You will be required to leave your passport with the embassy and it will be posted back to you with your other documents once the visa has been printed."  She lives in Queensland and will need to fly to Sydney for the interview.  However, she is a citizen of Singapore and still uses a Singapore passport whenever she flies.  Is there a different ID that she can use, like her Australia driver's license, to get home from Sydney?

I hope this is not a stupid question, but since I still have so many questions for her I wanted to ask anyone who has been through this process before.  (I'm preparing what we will enter on the adjustment of status forms now so that we will not be too pressed for time later.)

June 2016: We started writing to each other

June-July 2017: Met in person in the US for our first anniversary

December 2017 - January 2018: Met again in the US and got engaged

01/09/2018: I-129F sent to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox via FedEx

01/16/2018: Received NOA1 (NOA1 notice date: 01/11/2018)

June-July 2018: Met in person in Singapore and Australia for our second anniversary

08/03/2018: Notice date on our NOA2 (updated in USCIS's new website on August 6)

08/15/2018: Our case reached NVC

08/22/2018: Received NVC case number

09/04/2018: Our package left NVC (arrived 9/11, and she sent packet 3 that day)

09/20/2018: Received packet 4; scheduled interview

10/30/2018: Interview - told that we're approved!  Now waiting to receive the visa...
11/27/2018: Port of Entry at BWI

12/1/2018: Our wedding!

12/8/2018: Filed AoS on the way to our honeymoon (12/8-15/2018)
6/~7/2019: EAD and AP approved
09/25/2019: AOS interview in Orlando -- approval and green card!

Next step, June 2019: Filing I-751

Note: My wife is a Singaporean.  She moved to Australia before we met and got permanent residency there.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, microcebus said:

My fiancée and I have our NOA2 (dated August 3) for her K-1 visa.  VisaJourney's guide to the Sydney consulate says, "You will be required to leave your passport with the embassy and it will be posted back to you with your other documents once the visa has been printed."  She lives in Queensland and will need to fly to Sydney for the interview.  However, she is a citizen of Singapore and still uses a Singapore passport whenever she flies.  Is there a different ID that she can use, like her Australia driver's license, to get home from Sydney?

I hope this is not a stupid question, but since I still have so many questions for her I wanted to ask anyone who has been through this process before.  (I'm preparing what we will enter on the adjustment of status forms now so that we will not be too pressed for time later.)

She has to leave her passport because that is were the K1 visa will be stamped. They will mail it back to her within a few days.

Sorry just read the second part of the paragraph.

When I would fly with my husband Domestically in Australia they rarely even asked for my american license/passport (which blew my mind) because we would do self check in.  Her Australian license will be fine to carry for a domestic flight.

** It was actually the flight from Brisbane to Sydney for the interview that my (now) husband and I were having a good laugh about the differences in security for domestic flights in the US versus Australia. **

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

The consulate requires the passport in order to 1) verify travel history/stamps, 2)  verify identity, and 3) affix the visa once it is issued.

As for how to fly domestically from Sydney to Queensland, I'll defer to the Australian/NZ members. I don't have specifics here, sorry.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Sorry I couldn't add this to my prior post: https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/travel-documents/global/en

From the Qantas website: 

Forms of Identification

Domestic Flights within Australia

If you have an e-ticket or paper ticket, and are travelling on a domestic flight within Australia (flights QF400 and above), you'll need to carry the following items with you:

• Photo identification such as a driver's licence, passport or social security card; or
  • Your Qantas booking reference (printed on your e-ticket itinerary receipt); or
  • Your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card, Qantas Club membership card; or
  • Credit card used for the ticket purchase.

Timeline
23 hours ago, AshMarty said:

She has to leave her passport because that is were the K1 visa will be stamped. They will mail it back to her within a few days.

Sorry just read the second part of the paragraph.

When I would fly with my husband Domestically in Australia they rarely even asked for my american license/passport (which blew my mind) because we would do self check in.  Her Australian license will be fine to carry for a domestic flight.

** It was actually the flight from Brisbane to Sydney for the interview that my (now) husband and I were having a good laugh about the differences in security for domestic flights in the US versus Australia. **

That's good.  Regardless of the airline?

We had a really bad experience with Qantas last year and would prefer to have her take Virgin Australia or some other carrier.  On her way to the US, she had to change her departure date due to a sudden illness and was told at Brisbane that, because the departure date had not changed in their system (just American's), she didn't have a ticket.  That forced her to buy a new ticket for over $1000 on the day of departure.  On her way back from the US, American did not give her a boarding pass to use at LAX for getting back to Australia.  Qantas in LAX told her that her flight was full and she couldn't have a ticket even though we had gotten her a ticket 6 months before.  So they put her on a flight to Sydney, and she kept missing her flight to Brisbane because she was waiting for her bags, which we did not know (for several hours) were already in Brisbane.

June-July 2018: Met in person in Singapore and Australia for our second anniversary

08/03/2018: Notice date on our NOA2 (updated in USCIS's new website on August 6)

10/30/2018: Interview - told that we're approved!  Now waiting to receive the visa...

Note: My wife is a Singaporean.  She moved to Australia before we met and got permanent residency there.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, microcebus said:

That's good.  Regardless of the airline?

We had a really bad experience with Qantas last year and would prefer to have her take Virgin Australia or some other carrier.  On her way to the US, she had to change her departure date due to a sudden illness and was told at Brisbane that, because the departure date had not changed in their system (just American's), she didn't have a ticket.  That forced her to buy a new ticket for over $1000 on the day of departure.  On her way back from the US, American did not give her a boarding pass to use at LAX for getting back to Australia.  Qantas in LAX told her that her flight was full and she couldn't have a ticket even though we had gotten her a ticket 6 months before.  So they put her on a flight to Sydney, and she kept missing her flight to Brisbane because she was waiting for her bags, which we did not know (for several hours) were already in Brisbane.

From what I was reading on the website.

As long as your flight doesn’t take off from the international terminal in Sydney you are okay. 

Qantas gives you the airplane models that fly from the terminal in Sydney but I am sure you can just verify she isn’t taking off from the international terminal with whatever airline you book with.

My personal flight experiences domestically have only been with Qantas when flying within Australia.

Sorry to hear about her experience. I always have such amazing experiences flying within Australia and Qantas. Now my American flights experiences not always so pleasant. 

Good luck. My husband (he was Australian but flying with his Australian license only) flew from Sydney to Brisbane with no issues after the interview without his passport. I was with him. 

Edited by AshMarty

Timeline
11 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

From what I was reading on the website.

As long as your flight doesn’t take off from the international terminal in Sydney you are okay. 

Qantas gives you the airplane models that fly from the terminal in Sydney but I am sure you can just verify she isn’t taking off from the international terminal with whatever airline you book with.

My personal flight experiences domestically have only been with Qantas when flying within Australia.

Sorry to hear about her experience. I always have such amazing experiences flying within Australia and Qantas. Now my American flights experiences not always so pleasant. 

Good luck. My husband (he was Australian but flying with his Australian license only) flew from Sydney to Brisbane with no issues after the interview without his passport. I was with him. 

FlightStats has definitely been our friend on our trips to see each other.  It tells you the gates or at least the terminals and shows the planes' real-time position on the routes - basically everywhere except over a few remote areas of the ocean that don't have GPS coverage.

Edit: Yeah, security is definitely quite different between the US and the other countries I visited on the last trip.  UK, Singapore, and Australia were all quite easy.  I was only worried that my laptop/camera bag might be too heavy to let on board, but it was fine even at 9-10 kg.  When I got back to the US though, I had to take out every electronic device and put them in bins to get through TSA.  I hate doing that because I'm afraid people will just run off with them.  But LAX a few weeks ago was particularly bad because they made me put my shoes on the belt directly, in front of the bins with electronics.  Then the belt got stuck, caused the bins to buckle, and almost cost me over $5k (USD) in electronics.

Edited by microcebus

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.