Eric-Pris

Tourist Visa first, then Fiancee Visa when ready???

15 posts in this topic

Hi.

My girlfriend and I would like her to come here to meet my family and friends and live with me (trial run) for a month or so and to see if she'd like living here. We are probably going to marry eventually, but we are not at that step yet. She's in Costa Rica and I hear that getting a tourist visa there is pretty tough. We were going to file the K-1 just for her to come here to visit and then file it again when we are ready to get married. I have the K-1 package ready to go, I was about to send it before we thought it over and changed our minds. I never sent the K-1 forms. Doing k-1 twice seems like too much waiting. The tourist visa (if approved) takes only 2 weeks to get an interview.

Lately, I've been hearing that getting a tourist visa isn't that diffficult as long as she can establish strong ties to her home country. A kid she'll leave behind (coming solo) should help, has a job, rents a house, pays utilities---are these good ties? Anything else?

Any thoughts about doing the tourist visa first then fiancee visa?

Any suggestions to improve our chances of getting the tourist visa? :help:

Thanks in advance.

Do not start the fiance process if you are not sure you are going to marry. The fiance visa requires you two to get marry in US in 90 days since she enters US.

I suggest for your fiance to get a tourist visa and visit you first, after that, if the relationship goes well you can apply for the fiance visa.

It sounds like pretty good ties :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Do not start the fiance process if you are not sure you are going to marry. The fiance visa requires you two to get marry in US in 90 days since she enters US.

I suggest for your fiance to get a tourist visa and visit you first, after that, if the relationship goes well you can apply for the fiance visa.

It sounds like pretty good ties :thumbs:

I think that doing the toursit visa is a great idea, and this will give you the opportunity to find out if you want to marry. Make sure that you take plenty of pictures and keep all travel documents, so if you decide to marry you will have documents of your meeting. Happy Journey! :thumbs::thumbs:

Consulate : Nigeria

Marriage : 2006-07-27

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-16

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-08-26

I-129F Sent : 2006-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-10-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-12-01

NVC Received : 2006-12-12

NVC Left : 2006-12-13

Consulate Received : 2007-02-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-02-08

Interview Date : 2007-04-23

I-130 Approval : 2006-10-26

Make sure that you take plenty of pictures and keep all travel documents, so if you decide to marry you will have documents of your meeting. Happy Journey! :thumbs::thumbs:

No worry there. I have visited her 7 times in the past year, I have pics and all boarding passes, itineraries, etc.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Let me start by saying that I have no idea what the Consuls are like in Costa Rica, but I can tell you its difficult anywhere for a young single female to get a tourist visa. My Fiance comes from the Philippines and getting a tourist visa there without having a lot of money in the bank, property owneership, and business ties more than just having a job, it makes it next to impossible. You must demonstrate to the US Embassy Consulate Officer that there is strong evidence that she will not just decide to stay and get married. That is tough to do when you are marrying age (even with a child left behind) because the embassies don't like to get a bad track record. It would be risky at best to try for a visitor visa in my opinion. What you describe as her ties would likely not fly for a tourist visa in the Philippines. However, if you have the time and money to file for the tourist visa and dont care if its a possibility of being denied, maybe you guys will get approved and get your trial run.

On the other hand, if you meet the requirements of a Fiance visa it is more likely that will be issued versus a tourist visa. However, with IMBRA now in effect, you should understand that its more difficult to do it twice as it is my understanding you will need a waiver for the second one....even if its a second petition for the same girl. Not sure how easy the waiver is to get. For this reason, I would not suggest filing the K-1 with the intentions of going back and filing again.

What is keeping you from making the jump? If you don't think you're ready for marriage to this woman, then maybe you should wait and just continue the distance relationship. If you both agree that you want to get married, then file the K-1 and move her here. If she really loves you and you love her, where you live really should not be an issue as long as you are together. If she has to think about whether she really wants to marry you based on where you live or you both have questions about whether the relationship will work, then I think you're not ready for this.

This is just my opinion based on limited facts, so please don't take it personally if I said anything that offends you.

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

What is keeping you from making the jump?

Skeeter,

No offense taken, you make some good points. I know it won't be easy, but we'd rather take the chance at a tourist instead of applying for a K-1 and waiting 6 months. I don't think I will ever be able to marry her without a "trial run" for several reasons. I don't know if you know this but people from Latin countries are very family-oriented. She sees her parents and brothers daily. I want to see if she can live far away from her parents and siblings. If she's here and she's miserable, we'll know it's not going to work, right? The other reason, in all honesty, is that I want to make sure she loves me and is not just playing me for a green card. I know you're saying you should know this by now, etc. I thought that too, but yesterday I got a call from a buddy who brought a girl over to live with him in US. 5 days after getting here, she flipped 180 degrees and became a total psycho, accusing him of everything in the world. He was stunned, he never ever would have expected it from her. He then found out that she never went home on the ticket he bought her, but instead went to a different state to be with another guy. She had a sugar daddy in the waiting. As soon as she hit the US, she totally changed. Obviously, a trial run will not protect me from all these things, but I don't want to just rush into something.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Edited by kid brooklyn

I don't know if you know this but people from Latin countries are very family-oriented. She sees her parents and brothers daily. I want to see if she can live far away from her parents and siblings. If she's here and she's miserable, we'll know it's not going to work, right?

I do understand as women from the Philippines are also very family oriented and it was a concern for me also with my Fiance. On top of that, she is leaving her daughter there with her mother for 1-2 years till she can get settled here and find a good job, possibly go to school. We plan on combatting this by keeping their DSL internet going at the house and getting Vonage set up there too so she can see and talk to her family as often as she likes. I know its not the same as personal contact, but it will hopefully bridge the gap. Maybe things like that will also bridge the gap for your sweetheart if that is a possibility. Once she adjusts status, she can return home too for visits to her family.

The other reason, in all honesty, is that I want to make sure she loves me and is not just playing me for a green card. I know you're saying you should know this by now, etc. I thought that too, but yesterday I got a call from a buddy who brought a girl over to live with him in US. 5 days after getting here, she flipped 180 degrees and became a total psycho, accusing him of everything in the world. He was stunned, he never ever would have expected it from her. He then found out that she never went home on the ticket he bought her, but instead went to a different state to be with another guy. She had a sugar daddy in the waiting. As soon as she hit the US, she totally changed. Obviously, a trial run will not protect me from all these things, but I don't want to just rush into something.

A woman that is intent on being deceptive like you describe is hard to spot and even harder when you are in love with her and want it to work. It's sad that people like that don't care about the hearts they crush and the damage they do. But as you said, "Obviously, a trial run won't protect you from all these things." If her intent is to come here and stay without you....she will do that on a K-1 or a tourist visa.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong because I am not positive on this point, but I believe with a tourist visa, she could feasibly come here and marry anyone she chooses and then apply to adjust status with them. Immigration doesn't like it, but its not illegal if you didn't come here with immigrant intent. On the other hand, if you have a K-1, I believe she can only adjust status if she marries you. Otherwise, she must return and be re-petitioned. I am almost positive I read that somewhere.

Anyways....bottom line is I am not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just putting out a point of view and its up to you to decide. I can see your point also, but I just feel that if you are that unsure of this girl, regardless of how her future honesty (or dishonesty) plays out, you are not ready for marriage. Then again...maybe all the more reason for her to come on a tourist visa and not a K-1.

One last comment.....if she does go for the tourist visa....make sure she doesn't breathe a word about having a US boyfriend or that you have considered a K-1. I don't recommend or condone lying. Just pointing out another issue in applying for a tourist visa that will have to be overcome.

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know what you mean about a 'trial run' but being, that she may do alright living/visiting the U.S. because she knows she can/is going back.

The fiance visa is an immigrant visa.

She should apply for it only if she is ready to move here, marry you, and live here (IMHO).

Good luck :thumbs:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

A visa site may not be the best place to offer or receive relationship advice, but having been around the relationship block a time or two, I'd like to offer the following suggestions. Please take them, or not, as you see fit.

Obviously, I don't know you or the specifics of your relationship other than what you've offered here. With that in mind, I'm seeing several red flags and these have relatively little to do with any kind of visa your girlfriend might be interested in. Please note that I specifically said girlfriend rather than fiancee. It is apparent that you have doubts, not only about her sincerety but also about your feelings for her. If you've gone to see her seven times in the past year, and unless it was for only for one or two days each time, surely you've developed some sense of who she is and whether she's "real" or not. If you don't have a high degree of certainty of this (without her coming here and without you spending the money to bring her here), then it appears that your time together in Costa Rica was not terribly productive in any sense that matters over the long haul.

You indicate that you prefer to have her come here on a tourist visa in case she doesn't like the States. And if things are going good, then you'll apply for the K-1. The reason for not applying for the K-1 now (or one of the reasons) is that it's a six month process and you don't want to wait that long. Well, if things work out for you, you may have to wait that six months anyway. Just later, rather than sooner. And the complications of potentially lying about her reasons for coming here are not worth the risk.

The real issue boils down to this - either she is the one for you (and you for her) or she's not. You would be money and, more importantly, emotionally ahead if you spend time with her in Costa Rica so that both of you can be sure what it is you want. You need to discuss, at length and in depth, all of the personal and intimate issues that you will face, both as spouses and as cultural strangers. It's easy to get drawn in when the heart is leading the way, but the major step of a lifetime committment is overwhelming enough without throwing in all the complications of bringing an alien here. You need for your brain to jump in here and give your heart some help on this one. At least, that's what it's sounding like from the outside.

I wish you and your girlfriend all the luck in the world. More importantly, I hope that both of you discover what is best for both of you - whether that is together or apart. :thumbs:

Thanks for all the relies, you muys make some excellent points.

So she shouldn't say that she's going to visit her boyfriend? I was thinking about writing a letter for her to bring to the interview saying how I want her to visit me, and that I will fully support her while she's here, and that she'll have a definte return date.

Would she say... "I'm going to visit a friend"? Any suggestions as far as that goes?

Thanks again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

i am sorry

i really dont understand what you are talking about here

so i will try to give you a reply

but if it is not the correct reply

then sorry

i do not think you can just write a letter saying you give your word and that you will be finacially responsible for her when she is here. I am pretty sure it is alot more complicated than that. If not everyone would be using that route. To see their love before waiting for the 6 months or so for the fiance visa. I really dont think this will work. Although I have no problem with it and I wish you the best of luck

Filed: Other Timeline

This is pretty easy...If she can get the tourist visa, then be it...Have her come here , visit and have fun together...Life tdoesn t have to be as complicated as it looks, and surely we are quite talented to complicate everything even more than is already..

I invited my girlfriend here , last September..She got aher visa with no problems, even she told to the person at the embassy , that she visits her boyfriend...So...she came here, and a few months later I proposed ....I have compared all the posibilities , for us, and the best one for us was to adjust the status while here..we sent the paperwork short time before her i-94 would have expire, and now everything goes as it should. If you are getting married in the first week she comes over ,it would be clear for immigration that you had mariage intent, but , as long she s here with you, and you both are happy why not marry and take care of everything here...There are risks , because the affidavit of support , that you are signing, and the question is : SO WHAT ? Is a risk you have to take, and hopefully, you are as lucky as I am...I have a wonderful woman next to me...

So good luck with the turist visa...and take it from there, step by step...You d be able to decide what s best for you...

i am sorry

i really dont understand what you are talking about here

so i will try to give you a reply

but if it is not the correct reply

then sorry

i do not think you can just write a letter saying you give your word and that you will be finacially responsible for her when she is here. I am pretty sure it is alot more complicated than that. If not everyone would be using that route. To see their love before waiting for the 6 months or so for the fiance visa. I really dont think this will work. Although I have no problem with it and I wish you the best of luck

I was asking if she should mention at the interview that she is going to visit her boyfriend in the US or not bring that up at all? Should she say that she's going to visit friends?

I know that simply writing a letter isn't enough. I wasn't implying that. The letter would be a supplemental piece of evidence that she'll return to her country.

Thanks

My girlfriend has an interview May 29th for the tourist visa. I will actually be in Costa Rica that week as it turns out, so I will accompany her to the interview. Even though I don't think they will allow me to enter with her, I will be there for moral support.

Wish us luck.

• 2 months later...
My girlfriend has an interview May 29th for the tourist visa. I will actually be in Costa Rica that week as it turns out, so I will accompany her to the interview. Even though I don't think they will allow me to enter with her, I will be there for moral support.

Wish us luck.

She was denied for the tourist visa. We have decided that it's probably a waste of time to try again since they don't give them out unless you have a ton of money in the bank, a business, or real estate. Plus, if she gets denied a second time, she can't apply for any type of visa for a year, as far as I understand.

I think we'll get engaged in CR in early September. We will start the K-1 process soon after. She should be here by March/April next year.

Edited by kid brooklyn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.