Shane & Len

Married outside Philippines

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My wife and I were married about a year ago in Hawaii.  The state told us we didn't have to do anything they would file it with the appropriate consulate.  Apparently, they did not do so.

My wife has friends who are judges and lawyers in and around Manila who told her it wasn't a requirement to register in the Philippines because they recognized US marriages as valid.

Now, we see that a certified copy of the registration is shown as a requirement at the CFO.  Of course, in typical fashion we find this 10 days before the interview.

Has anyone else run into something like this?

Will they accept an original certificate from the US?

Looking for any guidance.

thanks in advance. 

Edited by Shane & Len

W hat is the point of you going to CFO when you are already married? What is her status? GC holder or maybe a naturalized citizen. What passport did she travel on? Did you ever complete ROC. To many open questions to answer you.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

21 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

W hat is the point of you going to CFO when you are already married? What is her status? GC holder or maybe a naturalized citizen. What passport did she travel on? Did you ever complete ROC. To many open questions to answer you.

We were married in the US while vacationing, but she is still in the Philippines awaiting immigrant VISA.  She traveled on a B1.  She is neither a GC holder nor naturalized citizen (yet).

She is about to interview for CR-1 she still has to go through CFO (PDOS) for sticker on passport.  It states on their website "if married provide copy of local registration." 

Edited by Shane & Len

32 minutes ago, Shane & Len said:

We were married in the US while vacationing, but she is still in the Philippines awaiting immigrant VISA.  She traveled on a B1.  She is neither a GC holder nor naturalized citizen (yet).

She is about to interview for CR-1 she still has to go through CFO (PDOS) for sticker on passport.  It states on their website "if married provide copy of local registration." 

File your papers for the ROM. I'm not sure how long it will take but here in the states it was about 30 days. 

Hank will chime in shortly and me may know another way then the one I presented.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shane & Len said:

Hello everyone,

My wife and I were married about a year ago in Hawaii.  The state told us we didn't have to do anything they would file it with the appropriate consulate.  Apparently, they did not do so.

My wife has friends who are judges and lawyers in and around Manila who told her it wasn't a requirement to register in the Philippines because they recognized US marriages as valid.

Now, we see that a certified copy of the registration is shown as a requirement at the CFO.  Of course, in typical fashion we find this 10 days before the interview.

thanks in advance. 

Don't worry about not having your marriage registered, ROM, in the Philippines.     You are not the first to have been married outside the Philippines then having to complete CFO ... 

For CFO bring a copy of your marriage certificate and an original  PSA CENOMAR.    (do not let them have your original marriage certificate)

As for what CFO requires this site may be helpful (CFO tends to use the "other documents" clause to ask for other things, there is a list on that website.

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/cfo-orientation-seminar.html

Your wife  may want to do this one day to get her Philippine passport in her married name and for that she will complete ROM  - this will be done through the Philippine consulate for Hawaii).

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Don't worry about not having your marriage registered, ROM, in the Philippines.     You are not the first to have been married outside the Philippines then having to complete CFO ... 

For CFO bring a copy of your marriage certificate and an original  PSA CENOMAR.    (do not let them have your original marriage certificate)

As for what CFO requires this site may be helpful (CFO tends to use the "other documents" clause to ask for other things, there is a list on that website.

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/cfo-orientation-seminar.html

Your wife  may want to do this one day to get her Philippine passport in her married name and for that she will complete ROM  - this will be done through the Philippine consulate for Hawaii).

Thank you so much!  We have been discussing this and hoped this would be sufficient.  We are going to go ahead and start the processing for registering as a back up measure.  

This will help my darling wife sleep a little better tonight!!

I appreciate your help.

4 hours ago, Shane & Len said:

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance. 

First off the state does not register it with any embassies or consulates. You can do what @Hank to get through CFO but it would be better for you to register it in the Philippines so that she can get a passport in her married name.

8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

First off the state does not register it with any embassies or consulates. You can do what @Hank to get through CFO but it would be better for you to register it in the Philippines so that she can get a passport in her married name.

understood we plan on doing that now.  

We had asked about recording in PH while we were filling out forms at state offices in HI.  Either we both mis-understood the answers or the staff didn't understand our question.

But, true it wasn't done.

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

@Hank thanks again, if I may...a follow up question

Does she have to attend both the GCP and the PDOS?

It appears she does, but obviously if it's not required for both she would rather not.

thanks again for your help.

Thank you to everyone for your prompt and helpful answers. 

I can't imagine how stressful and long this process must have been before sites like this existed.

55 minutes ago, Shane & Len said:

understood we plan on doing that now.  

We had asked about recording in PH while we were filling out forms at state offices in HI.  Either we both mis-understood the answers or the staff didn't understand our question.

But, true it wasn't done.

They more than likely misunderstood it in akm honesty. But good that y'all are on top of this and being proactive about it. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Shane & Len said:

@Hank thanks again, if I may...a follow up question

Does she have to attend both the GCP and the PDOS?

It appears she does, but obviously if it's not required for both she would rather not.

thanks again for your help.

GCP for spouses and Fiancee of USC

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.