Nat&Amy

NVC to interview in Rio, Brazil

588 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, p-ana said:

Are you counting the beneficiary’s income in Brazil as well? What about savings and checking accounts? Do they have property there? 

Edit: Last year I worked in two different states and we could not get things to work with TurboTax online so we had to hire a cpa to do it for us. And it was very complicated. And costly. I can only imagine how harder it is to report foreign income and all the hurdles with filing with someone who’s not even a green card holder. 

Yes, I am counting on his income as well. I do not think he has much money in savings and checking accounts... are you asking because of interest? He doesn't own any property. I am concerned about filing taxes being complicated, but I am hoping that saving many thousands of dollars will make it worth it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, derikmelo said:

From my experience getting a B1/B2, they just need your passport and DS-160 confirmation page at the ASC. I don't know if it's different for K1.

Update: He went to his ASC appointment today for the K1 and that's all he needed--- the current passport and the DS-160 confirmation page. Thanks for the info!

11 hours ago, Migaloo said:

Yes, I am counting on his income as well. I do not think he has much money in savings and checking accounts... are you asking because of interest? He doesn't own any property. I am concerned about filing taxes being complicated, but I am hoping that saving many thousands of dollars will make it worth it.

So if you’re counting his income and interest in savings etc and it’s still better to file together, go ahead and do it. I’d consult with a cpa first, though, to make sure you find someone who will be able to deal with dealing with a foreign person filing, foreign income, and all that Jazz. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, derikmelo said:

That's what I did 

Oh okay, thank you. Because I filled out ds-160s in the past and fiancé was not considered to be an immediate relative back then so I was unsure what to put.

Anyone else care to chime in?

14 hours ago, SilverMonk said:

Hello all, quick question:

Filling out the ds-160 and I came across a question that asks about immediate relatives in the US. I thought it meant only spouse, parents or siblings but they say that fiancé is also an immediate relative so I put in fiancée and then oitt in my fiancée's name. Is that what you guys also did and is that what shout be done?

I put no, had no problems 

Timeline
9 hours ago, SilverMonk said:

Oh okay, thank you. Because I filled out ds-160s in the past and fiancé was not considered to be an immediate relative back then so I was unsure what to put.

Anyone else care to chime in?

I put yes because it had the hint on the side that said the fiancee is considered an immediate relative. I'll let you know if it was correct because my fiance is going to the interview Monday 😁

Timeline
On 9/28/2018 at 10:31 PM, Britt & Stenio said:

I put yes because it had the hint on the side that said the fiancee is considered an immediate relative. I'll let you know if it was correct because my fiance is going to the interview Monday 😁

Oh okay, thank you.

And about the interview. I thought that fiancé visa interviews where only held on Tuesdays. I didn't know they opened up Mondays too?

But good luck tomorrow!

Timeline

Forgot to post an update, but my fiancee received her visa on the 26th! She's got a flight and she's coming in three weeks!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Amanda and Camila said:

Forgot to post an update, but my fiancee received her visa on the 26th! She's got a flight and she's coming in three weeks!!

Did she have it mailed or did she pick it up?

Timeline
10 hours ago, Amanda and Camila said:

Almost the same here! My fiancee got her visa on Friday the 28th, and we have a flight booked for the 17th of October! We had the visa mailed, only took 8 days from issuance to be available for pickup in Sao Paulo.

Timeline

I have a question. The sticker that was put on the back of the passport at the fingerprint appointment was marked with a blue line( with a marker) and now my fiance is freaking out because he read some stuff. has anyone experienced the same "blue mark with a sharpie" on the sticker? or anyone know anything about it?

Edited by Suny & LeLe

Timeline
14 hours ago, SilverMonk said:

Oh okay, thank you.

And about the interview. I thought that fiancé visa interviews where only held on Tuesdays. I didn't know they opened up Mondays too?

But good luck tomorrow!

I thought it was only offered on Tuesdays as well. However, when I was setting up the interview, they offered Today`s date (a Monday).

Thank you for the Luck, it worked, because we were approved today :)

The appointment was straightforward: I arrived at the consulate, showed my passport, went upstairs to the second floor (where those visas are done). I was greeted by an employee that gave me two papers: one showing the list of documents I needed, and another one to fill out with contact information. The contact information form was asking for my address and phone number, my fiancee’s address and phone number and where I was staying in Rio. The list of documents were the ones described on their website, you just need to put them in order. The employee that gave you the two pages will check everything, and ask you to sign the sworn statement.

Once I was done with the documents, I was directed to wait for the documentation check. This part is the longest. You will be asked about your living situation, employment history, get your fingerprints, etc. Your original documents will be returned in this step. This is not the interview yet.

After that, I waited a little more. The Consul called me by my name, I went there, I was sworn in with my right hand up that I understand the proccess and such, then I signed with my fingerprints again. The Consul only asked me three questions, How and where we met, the last time I visited her, the last time she visited me. After that, she said everything was fine, said my visa will be ready in two weeks, and stated I can't marry before getting to USA and that I needed to do that within 90 days once I am there.

Although my appointment was for 9:20 am, I arrived there at 8:10, I was allowed to go in and start filling out the form and organizing the documents. My interview was at 10:30 ish.

The interview itself took 5 minutes at the most. The questioning was 2 minutes at the most.

Good luck for everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.