Nat&Amy

NVC to interview in Rio, Brazil

588 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, SilverMonk said:

That sounds a bit risky IMO. I have heard of getting a new passport after filing the k-1 petition (this is what happened to me). But not scheduling it with the old passport.

Won't they face problems already at the CASV? They'll see that everything was scheduled using the old passport and then they'll also have a new passport. And the passport gets a barcode from what I remember so would they put that on their new or old passport? Idk. It's just risky IMO. I think they should call the casv and email the embassy to make sure before doing anything.

Sure it’s best to check first, and in my opinion, just having everything set up before scheduling things... but it’s still doable. Just take both passports to the appointments, it’s not a big deal really

On 9/21/2018 at 5:46 AM, p-ana said:

I’ve never had any problems with correios. People report the same problems here in the US with USPS and I’ve never had any problems with them either.

Problems and delays can happen, nothing is 100% perfect. 

Within 2 weeks after the interview seems a reasonable timeline, maybe a couple more days if there’s a holiday. 

On a side note, Its September and I highly suggest people hold their POE until late December so they get married next year - it will make filing taxes in Brazil and here much easier. Also don’t forget to send your saída definitiva form to the RF. 

Good luck to everyone. Things will happen and patience goes a long way in this whole process - remember this is just one step in a couple more to come.

edit: them choosing correios over another courier service had to do with them being legally obligated to. Please read https://www.google.com/amp/s/viagemeturismo.abril.com.br/destinos/dhl-informa-entrega-do-visto-dos-estados-unidos-sob-sua-custodia/amp/

Does anyone else have advice about to get married before the year is over versus waiting until January? How hard is it to file taxes? I have calculated that I will pay about $20,000 less in taxes if we get married this year.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 9/22/2018 at 5:07 PM, SilverMonk said:

That sounds a bit risky IMO. I have heard of getting a new passport after filing the k-1 petition (this is what happened to me). But not scheduling it with the old passport.

Won't they face problems already at the CASV? They'll see that everything was scheduled using the old passport and then they'll also have a new passport. And the passport gets a barcode from what I remember so would they put that on their new or old passport? Idk. It's just risky IMO. I think they should call the casv and email the embassy to make sure before doing anything.

Does anyone have the contact info for the CASV and the embassy? I looked around on the websites and feel like I'm missing something. The only email I found is being sent back as undeliverable. Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 hours ago, Moon&Stars said:

Does anyone have the contact info for the CASV and the embassy? I looked around on the websites and feel like I'm missing something. The only email I found is being sent back as undeliverable. Thanks!

ImmigrationRio@state.gov

19 hours ago, Migaloo said:

Does anyone else have advice about to get married before the year is over versus waiting until January? How hard is it to file taxes? I have calculated that I will pay about $20,000 less in taxes if we get married this year.

Are you counting the beneficiary’s income in Brazil as well? What about savings and checking accounts? Do they have property there? 

Edit: Last year I worked in two different states and we could not get things to work with TurboTax online so we had to hire a cpa to do it for us. And it was very complicated. And costly. I can only imagine how harder it is to report foreign income and all the hurdles with filing with someone who’s not even a green card holder. 

Edited by p-ana

Timeline
On 9/22/2018 at 7:04 PM, Amanda and Camila said:

Does Rio send an email after they've issued the visa? If they do, how long does it usually take to get that email?

We are currently in the waiting game too. My fiancé has not received any email notification since the visa was issued 9/17/18. This will be the 7th business day and still no visa in hand. I'm not sure what is taking so long. Did they just deliver the Packet with Passport using regular mail?  I hope they better not. When was your visa got issued ?

Edited by LoveTakesOver

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, derikmelo said:

Guys, you that got the K1 and also had a B1/B2, they canceled the tourist one after they issued the k1? 

Not in my case. I had my B1/B2 visa in another passport but the Consulate returned to me without a stamp or annotation. When I arrived at the US, the officer did not even look at it (again, no stamp), so before leaving I simply asked him if my visitor visa was no longer valid and he said, "oh yeah, that one is void now."

But on the day of the interview I remember the consul saying it very clearly that even with a K1 approval, B1/B2s remained valid until you activated the K1. That seems to be entirely to their discretion, though. 

Timeline

Hey guys, just an update for whoever wants to know how long takes to get the Visa. My interview was in Sep/18 and the visa was issued at Sep/20, today Sep/26 I got the email saying that the passport is available to pickup at the CASV of Belo Horizonte. So pretty much 5 work days between Issued date and pickup.

Timeline
7 hours ago, derikmelo said:

Hey guys, just an update for whoever wants to know how long takes to get the Visa. My interview was in Sep/18 and the visa was issued at Sep/20, today Sep/26 I got the email saying that the passport is available to pickup at the CASV of Belo Horizonte. So pretty much 5 work days between Issued date and pickup.

Thanks for keeping the rest of us informed! Our interview was also Sep 18, and visa issued Sep 20. We have not heard that it is available in Sao Paulo for pick up yet, but I'm sure it will be soon! I'll keep everyone posted.

Timeline

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has attended the ASC appointment outside of the Embassy yet and if they have any information about what specifically to bring to the appointment. If not, I will tell my fiance to bring everything and then once the appointment is over we will share the specifics of that information with everyone else here. Thanks :D 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Britt & Stenio said:

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has attended the ASC appointment outside of the Embassy yet and if they have any information about what specifically to bring to the appointment. If not, I will tell my fiance to bring everything and then once the appointment is over we will share the specifics of that information with everyone else here. Thanks :D 

From my experience getting a B1/B2, they just need your passport and DS-160 confirmation page at the ASC. I don't know if it's different for K1.

Timeline

Hello all, quick question:

Filling out the ds-160 and I came across a question that asks about immediate relatives in the US. I thought it meant only spouse, parents or siblings but they say that fiancé is also an immediate relative so I put in fiancée and then oitt in my fiancée's name. Is that what you guys also did and is that what shout be done?

Timeline
1 minute ago, SilverMonk said:

Hello all, quick question:

Filling out the ds-160 and I came across a question that asks about immediate relatives in the US. I thought it meant only spouse, parents or siblings but they say that fiancé is also an immediate relative so I put in fiancée and then oitt in my fiancée's name. Is that what you guys also did and is that what shout be done?

That's what I did 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.