Nat&Amy

NVC to interview in Rio, Brazil

588 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Moon&Stars said:

I may be overthinking this, but can anyone give me some advice? Yesterday our status changed to "ready" at the embassy. We have yet to receive an email, which I'm assuming means we haven't received packet 3 or 4. When should we expect these? is that what we need to wait on to schedule our appointments?

We are still waiting for a foreign police certificate and his foreign passport renewal to be finished. Hopefully they will both be in within another month or so. How easy is it to reschedule an interview or medical appointment? Will there be an additional fee? My fear is that we will schedule these and then we won't have the passport returned (they told us it might take 60 days, it's been 25 days already). The police certificate can take up to 2 months to receive and we just had to resend the fingerprints as they never received the first request. I'm trying to decide if we should schedule now for early November or wait until we have the documents in hand because it's costly to reschedule. 

Thanks for your advice!

You can actually schedule your interview while it’s in transit, 24 hours after it goes in transit , you can schedule your interview after 10 am.  The following day.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks @Chair_force1 and @p-ana. So it sounds like I can schedule now, which is great! Do either of you know how easy is it to reschedule if the passport gets delayed? Will we have to re-pay a fee? I would hate to wait until the passport arrives before scheduling because it would mean at least another month of waiting as the appointments are scheduled that far in advance. Thanks!

Also if we don't have the police clearance at the interview and they give us the 221g (or whatever it's called) to turn it in when it arrives, can we send it to the embassy or do we need to travel to Rio again to deliver it in person.

27 minutes ago, Moon&Stars said:

Thanks @Chair_force1 and @p-ana. So it sounds like I can schedule now, which is great! Do either of you know how easy is it to reschedule if the passport gets delayed? Will we have to re-pay a fee? I would hate to wait until the passport arrives before scheduling because it would mean at least another month of waiting as the appointments are scheduled that far in advance. Thanks!

Also if we don't have the police clearance at the interview and they give us the 221g (or whatever it's called) to turn it in when it arrives, can we send it to the embassy or do we need to travel to Rio again to deliver it in person.

I believe you can reschedule once without having to pay another fee. Check with the website or the consulate to make sure.

if you don’t have all the docs needed, they will issue the 221g and will give you info on how to send the missing docs, it will be by mail. 

Timeline

By chance , is anyone shipping pets from Brazil to the USA? If so, can anyone recommend a reputable shipper in RDJ. United Airlines forces you to hire an independent shipper as of June 2018.

Thanks!

Timeline
18 hours ago, Moon&Stars said:

How is he gonna schedule it without knowing the number of the new passport though?

Timeline

So we got out RDJ number on Thursday ☺ Hopefully I'll see the in transit status by the end of this month, se Deus quiser!

Do you guys know if I can already fill out the ds-160 while I wait for the case to be ready? Or maybe started filling it out, saving it, and then submitting it? That way I wouldn't lose time in filling it out when I'm able to schedule the interview.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, SilverMonk said:

So we got out RDJ number on Thursday ☺ Hopefully I'll see the in transit status by the end of this month, se Deus quiser!

Do you guys know if I can already fill out the ds-160 while I wait for the case to be ready? Or maybe started filling it out, saving it, and then submitting it? That way I wouldn't lose time in filling it out when I'm able to schedule the interview.  

We filled ours out as soon as it was ready.

Edited by Amanda and Camila

Timeline
2 hours ago, p-ana said:

They can file with the old passport number now and update the info on the day of the interview 

That sounds a bit risky IMO. I have heard of getting a new passport after filing the k-1 petition (this is what happened to me). But not scheduling it with the old passport.

Won't they face problems already at the CASV? They'll see that everything was scheduled using the old passport and then they'll also have a new passport. And the passport gets a barcode from what I remember so would they put that on their new or old passport? Idk. It's just risky IMO. I think they should call the casv and email the embassy to make sure before doing anything.

Timeline
1 minute ago, SilverMonk said:

But could you have filled it out even before it said ready?

I'm certain you can fill it out as soon as you have your RDJ number!

Timeline
1 hour ago, SilverMonk said:

But could you have filled it out even before it said ready?

Yes, we filled ours out after we got the RDJ number (even though we honestly could have done it before then). We just didn't submit it and get the confirmation page until after we saw the status change to 'in transit'. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 hours ago, SilverMonk said:

How is he gonna schedule it without knowing the number of the new passport though?

Good point. I hadn't thought about that. I guess we should email the embassy to make sure it won't cause an issue. Thank you for pointing out that we should also check with the CASV. We'll do that. I don't want to risk things, but with the delay between scheduling and the actual interview, timing it right will be important. But I'm also just going to keep hoping that the passport comes back crazy fast and we won't have any problems!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Amanda and Camila said:

Does Rio send an email after they've issued the visa? If they do, how long does it usually take to get that email?

They don't. You can see if your visa has already been issued by checking the same page you used to track your case status while at NVC

Next email you should get is from the CASV, if you chose the pickup option.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.