VB78

Beneficiary Bankruptcy

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
9 hours ago, VB78 said:

Hi,

I came here to US last year using K-1 visa. Just got my green card recently. However, I am facing a problem now and hoping there is someone who can help me here. Back to my country, I am having an outstanding personal loan. Since I got here, I did not pay the monthly payment for that personal loan anymore because I am not able to work and when I got my Employment Authorization Card, luck is not with me because no company want to hire me without a green card. Recently, I got a warning letter from the bank at my country stated that they are in the middle filing for bankruptcy for me. I was trying to negotiate with them, however they does not want to change their decision. The question is, will my bankruptcy affect me here? Will it affect when I want to file for ROC or citizenship? 

Others already replied that you will have no effect what soever with your immigration or future naturalization.

You would only be concerned with your bankruptcy in your home country if you are from United Arab Emirates where it's still a common practice to imprison you for failing to pay debts. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

It’s in another country, it will have nothing to do with anything uscis is interested in unless this was criminal. Now, I’m curious, are they allowed to file bankruptcy in your name? Bankruptcy is something only the person themselves can file for. They can send your name to a collection agency but they can’t file for bankruptcy on your behalf. It will ruin your credit in your country but that won’t affect your life in the US. Even if it was bankruptcy, it’s in another country. 

7 hours ago, dandk said:

Others already replied that you will have no effect what soever with your immigration or future naturalization.

You would only be concerned with your bankruptcy in your home country if you are from United Arab Emirates where it's still a common practice to imprison you for failing to pay debts. 

I am glad that it will not affect my immigration or future naturalization. 

I am not coming from UAE. In our country, there is no practice of imprison for failing to pay debts.

Thank you for your help 

7 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

It’s in another country, it will have nothing to do with anything uscis is interested in unless this was criminal. Now, I’m curious, are they allowed to file bankruptcy in your name? Bankruptcy is something only the person themselves can file for. They can send your name to a collection agency but they can’t file for bankruptcy on your behalf. It will ruin your credit in your country but that won’t affect your life in the US. Even if it was bankruptcy, it’s in another country. 

In our country, bank can sue you because unable to pay and after that court will be declaring you bankrupt. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
21 hours ago, VB78 said:

Hi,

I came here to US last year using K-1 visa. Just got my green card recently. However, I am facing a problem now and hoping there is someone who can help me here. Back to my country, I am having an outstanding personal loan. Since I got here, I did not pay the monthly payment for that personal loan anymore because I am not able to work and when I got my Employment Authorization Card, luck is not with me because no company want to hire me without a green card. Recently, I got a warning letter from the bank at my country stated that they are in the middle filing for bankruptcy for me. I was trying to negotiate with them, however they does not want to change their decision. The question is, will my bankruptcy affect me here? Will it affect when I want to file for ROC or citizenship? 

Where are you from? I'm asking because some countries honestly will not disclosure information about your financial status to another country.

I'm from Venezuela and I don't thing there's a bankruptcy status legal form, I left Venezuela with a HUGE debt to my bank for credits and cards money I used to pay my expenses to move to Mexico. I was unable to pay them for like 1 year, it was initially something close to $600 USD (it was a lot of money back home in that moment considering monthly salary is like $1 USD) and I just paid it months ago, due the hyperinflation, I paid something close to $3 USD. Bank was after me for a while until I finally had the time to contact them and found out how absurd the debt was (I was expecting high interest rates or something).

Anyways. I don't think it will hurt you. It could if the US asked you to declare foreign assets or taxes declarations from your country or something. But I'm pretty sure is not the case. I suggest you that after you pay for it, ask for a letter saying you no longer have a debt, just for your records.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

22 hours ago, GreatDane said:

If your bankruptcy was on purpose - you racked up debt before you immigrated and didn't intend to pay it back as you were leaving the country, especially to fund trips/expensive goods/etc., it could affect naturalization. It could work against you for being of good moral character. If that isn't the case, then it's absolutely no problem. Typically, people who file bankruptcy are hard working people who've fallen on hard time and the American culture believes in second chances. 

Yeah and the fact that this person knew they could not work in the US for months also reflects poorly on his/her moral character.  It could be considered theft being that he/she abandoned the loan and made no payments.  I would like to know if there ever was any intention of re-paying this loan.  I would not hire this person for a position in my company because it shows me that I could not trust him/her.  I disagree though about bankruptcy and someone who's fallen on hard times.  This person left his/her country and never made any attempt to make payments.  Sounds pretty selfish and dishonest to me.

Edited by David & Zoila

23 hours ago, VB78 said:

Hi,

nope, It will not affect anything in the US

56 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

Yeah and the fact that this person knew they could not work in the US for months also reflects poorly on his/her moral character.  It could be considered theft being that he/she abandoned the loan and made no payments.  I would like to know if there ever was any intention of re-paying this loan.  I would not hire this person for a position in my company because it shows me that I could not trust him/her.  I disagree though about bankruptcy and someone who's fallen on hard times.  This person left his/her country and never made any attempt to make payments.  Sounds pretty selfish and dishonest to me.

Thank you so much for your judgemental opinion. To be honest, I will never applying for a job for any position at your company too. Because, get a boss who are judgemental as you is the worst thing ever. I am applying that loan before not because of me. It is for my close family member who are promise that he will paying the monthly installments. He suddenly refuse to make a monthly installment. And I need to bear the consequences. Before I leave the country, I do make an installments payment for 3 months (expecting I will get a job in 5-6 months after I arrived in States and continue pay using my salary after that together with the outstanding of another 2-3 months). I did informed the bank and asking them for their kind consideration by telling them I will pay them once I get a job. However, luck is not with me. I did not get any job offer after I got my EAD. Please stop being so judgemental about others. You might have an amazing life without any problem. However, do not quickly judge others if you did not stand on their feet. 

3 hours ago, Daniela M_______ said:

Where are you from? I'm asking because some countries honestly will not disclosure information about your financial status to another country.

I'm from Venezuela and I don't thing there's a bankruptcy status legal form, I left Venezuela with a HUGE debt to my bank for credits and cards money I used to pay my expenses to move to Mexico. I was unable to pay them for like 1 year, it was initially something close to $600 USD (it was a lot of money back home in that moment considering monthly salary is like $1 USD) and I just paid it months ago, due the hyperinflation, I paid something close to $3 USD. Bank was after me for a while until I finally had the time to contact them and found out how absurd the debt was (I was expecting high interest rates or something).

Anyways. I don't think it will hurt you. It could if the US asked you to declare foreign assets or taxes declarations from your country or something. But I'm pretty sure is not the case. I suggest you that after you pay for it, ask for a letter saying you no longer have a debt, just for your records.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am thinking to start paying after I get a job, hopefully soon. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.