lierre

Reason for re-scheduling Oath Ceremony

24 posts in this topic

What are the accepted reasons for re-scheduling the Oath? I can't find any online so far.

I'm needing to re-schedule mine because I'm heading to Australia & already have an approved visa on my current passport.

If I attend the scheduled oath ceremony, this means I will have to deal with electronic travel authorization to travel to Australia on top of waiting for the new US passport... which I'm afraid I won't have enough time for. I definitely can't change my Aus travel dates. Is that a good enough reason?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ivyanddan said:

What are the accepted reasons for re-scheduling the Oath? I can't find any online so far.

I'm needing to re-schedule mine because I'm heading to Australia & already have an approved visa on my current passport.

If I attend the scheduled oath ceremony, this means I will have to deal with electronic travel authorization to travel to Australia on top of waiting for the new US passport... which I'm afraid I won't have enough time for. I definitely can't change my Aus travel dates. Is that a good enough reason?

Yes it is. International travel is very good reason and as you mentioned the logistics involved in shelving the trip is almost not worth it. 

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 N-400 submitted online

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 NOA mailed

{Day 02}   11/18/2017 Biometrics apt scheduled

{Day 20}   12/06/2017 Biometrics done

{Day 202} 06/06/2018 Interview Scheduled

{Day 207} 06/11/2018 Interview Letter received

{Day 238} 07/12/2018 Interview Day - Approved

{Day 242} 07/16/2018 Oath Scheduled

{Day 266} 08/09/2018 Oath Ceremony - I am a US Citizen!

6 minutes ago, shomer said:

I think you can reschedule for any reason or no reason at all.  But don't expect to be rescheduled soon. 

My USCIS office isn't as busy as others. Based off posts here, I thought I wouldn't be scheduled for the oath for another 2 months after my interview. So surprised to see I was scheduled for an oath less than a month from interview.

But yeah, I'm not worried about being a US citizen right away. I mainly just applied for convenience.

6 minutes ago, NikeS said:

Yes it is. International travel is very good reason and as you mentioned the logistics involved in shelving the trip is almost not worth it. 

Thanks! Just don't wanna have to worry about applying for a travel authorization again when I already have a visa.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If that was me, i'm still go for oath ceremony and then apply for expedite PP at Agency( people can get their PP in one day). After that, you can use US PP to get out/in USA, and use another PP with the Visa to travel to Australia.

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 minute ago, H&T said:

If that was me, i'm still go for oath ceremony and then apply for expedite PP at Agency( people can get their PP in one day). After that, you can use US PP to get out/in USA, and use another PP with the Visa to travel to Australia.

The second step isn't even necessary as Australian ETAs are approved instantly for the vast majority of American passports.

Timeline

My oath was scheduled 2 business days after my interview for 1 month later so USCIS does pleasantly do things quickly (sometimes)😀

When is your trip and when is the oath? 

49 minutes ago, H&T said:

I don't live in a state that has a Department of State passport agency. The nearest is El Paso, TX and that's a 4-5 hour drive away plus I will need to file leave from work (which I'd rather not, lol).

And I can't use my current passport once I've done the oath ceremony.

47 minutes ago, shomer said:

The second step isn't even necessary as Australian ETAs are approved instantly for the vast majority of American passports.

My husband had his ETA approved within 24 hours. I'm more concerned with the passport process taking too long (max 3 weeks? I shudder, lol) and for some reason, I'd be part of that 10% that don't get approved for the Australian ETA instantaneously. It's too expensive of a trip to be worth the risk of being part of the 10%.

15 minutes ago, NikeS said:

My oath was scheduled 2 business days after my interview for 1 month later so USCIS does pleasantly do things quickly (sometimes)😀

When is your trip and when is the oath? 

Oath is on August 8th. My trip is on September 9th.

Looking at worst case scenario:

I apply for US passport on August 8th, requesting expedite with USPS passport office.

If it takes 3 weeks, I will get it August 29th. I have <10 days to get approval to travel to Australia.

Don't think it's worth the risk. I'm not in a hurry to be a citizen anyway. 

Edited by ivyanddan

Audre Lorde

Anyone had personal experiences of requesting to change date of oath ceremony? And what were your reasons?

Thank you!

Audre Lorde

Timeline

I'm assuming you will be dual citizen after the oath(Phil-USA), so i dont see any problems if you use you Phil PP+ visa on that to travel to Ausstralia, and when you go back to USA you will use your US PP at POE. In addition, it say 3 weeks but it actually took less time than that. 2 year ago, between the oak and travel time i'm only have 3 weeks. I'm apply for expedite and it only took a week to get PP. It just my opinion because we never know what's going on for tomorrow.

Timeline

Hopefully more people who did reschedule will respond. Someone here on VJ got a new oath date for exactly 2 months after the original some months back yours may take that long as well. The financial cost of expediting the US PP and the logistics... yeah do everything after your trip.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Take your oath and apply for US passport, then you still can use your other passport for travelling to Australia.

Getting the US citizenship doesn't mean you have to only use US passport to enter any other countries.

The best you can do is:

- Get you US citizenship on the scheduled time Aug 8th

- Apply for your US Passport.

- Use your US passport to travel out of US.

- Use your Phil passport with Aus visa to enter Australia.

- at the end of your trip to Aus, use the Phil passport to travel out of Aus.

- Finally, use the US passport to enter USA on your coming back trip.

I wouldn't recommend for you to reschedule your oath ceremony, you don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, semsem said:

Take your oath and apply for US passport, then you still can use your other passport for travelling to Australia.

Getting the US citizenship doesn't mean you have to only use US passport to enter any other countries.

The best you can do is:

- Get you US citizenship on the scheduled time Aug 8th

- Apply for your US Passport.

- Use your US passport to travel out of US.

- Use your Phil passport with Aus visa to enter Australia.

- at the end of your trip to Aus, use the Phil passport to travel out of Aus.

- Finally, use the US passport to enter USA on your coming back trip.

I wouldn't recommend for you to reschedule your oath ceremony, you don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow.

4 hours ago, H&T said:

I'm assuming you will be dual citizen after the oath(Phil-USA), so i dont see any problems if you use you Phil PP+ visa on that to travel to Ausstralia, and when you go back to USA you will use your US PP at POE. In addition, it say 3 weeks but it actually took less time than that. 2 year ago, between the oak and travel time i'm only have 3 weeks. I'm apply for expedite and it only took a week to get PP. It just my opinion because we never know what's going on for tomorrow.

I can't do that. Once I do the oath for the US, I'm officially renouncing my original citizenship.

The US requires all naturalized citizens to renounce all citizenship to other countries. I only become a dual citizen of the US and the Philippines if I re-acquire it through an application process with the Philippines, as the Philippines does not require citizens to renounce citizenship to other countries. Hence, I am only a US citizen when in the US, but I can be a Filipino and a US citizen when in the Philippines.

I know all this because I called the Philippine embassy before I even submitted my N-400 application.

2 hours ago, NikeS said:

Hopefully more people who did reschedule will respond. Someone here on VJ got a new oath date for exactly 2 months after the original some months back yours may take that long as well. The financial cost of expediting the US PP and the logistics... yeah do everything after your trip.

Yeah, I'm not in a hurry. I've been eligible to apply for citizenship since 2016. The troublesome thing would be if some kind of new immigration policy cancels out everything I've done so far. BUUUT, just hoping that won't be the case lol. 

Audre Lorde

Mailed out my letter to USCIS requesting to change date of ceremony. I also indicated when I hope it can be re-scheduled (after our Australia travel). Wish me luck! :)

Don't really have plans to travel anywhere outside the country this year after our Aus trip. But, I'm hoping to at least have the process completed by summer 2019, as we have plans to travel in Europe and it would be nice to not have to apply for a visa again (my primary motivation for getting naturalized, lol!)

Edited by ivyanddan

Audre Lorde

Timeline

Many people are dual citizens and The US government not required all naturalized citizens to renounce all citizenship to other countries. I'm dual citizen too and when im go out of USA i'm using US PP, when i'm enter my motherland i'm using another PP(VN). When i'm travel to Europe i'm using US PP( no visa).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.