Makafui

Hello I need help please

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello everyone my story is long but I hope u will take ur time to read it and give me appropriate suggestions. I came here on K-1 visa. Married before my 90 days. Got my conditional Green card in March 2014 and I have some few concerns and anyone with good advice will be highly appreciated.. My wife kicked me out on 2nd July 2018 and that was our 5 years of marriage. The last one year in the marriage was really a hectic for me. She called police like 5 or 6 time on me but anytime the police come in and hear the 2 side,they kept on asking her that,she is wrong and they can't do anything for me just because I was asking her to pay bills especially car insurance, Duke energy,Water and cable anytime the money was given to her for those things. I remembered she got mad one time with one of the police officers that they always on my side whenever she called them. And that she gonna sue them but I really don't know how it ended up and since then she don't called police again till this time.  We are living in her mother's house and all the bills are in her late sisters name. Anytime I asked her to change the bills in our name,she will refused and finally she took her mother to a nursing home. That broke my heart so badly. 2nd July will be our 5 years of marriage.Though we  have been having marital problem as each couple do at times,the whole thing is that, most of the arguments happen when it's time for bill payments. Anytime my direct deposit goes into our joint account,she will withdraw the cash and then overdraft the account again.She work but her money dont go into our joint account.So sad. Now we jointly filed the remover of condition and that petition has been pending with the USCIS for over two years now. So many info pass appointments but nothing came up. The only answer to me is wait and that ur case is still pending. My case was file since February 16 ,2016, we went to the interview October 12 2017 and after the interview, the officer said we were approved and that the green card will be in the mail within weeks, still no card. I called many times but the same issue (pending) and I went there again in  April 2018 and that was 6 months after the interview to really know what's really going on and they again stamped my passport for the second time with I-551 and said my case is pending..I contacted a lawyer and he said the only thing I can do is to file citizenship now. And that will make them to make a decision on my case but he said he will suggest for me not to change my address now. Now my question is,if I don't change my address and a letter from the USCIS came and she refused to give it to me, what can I do? I called the police  to come to witness what she did by putting my things out and changing the locks. One of the police officers advice me that,I should just leave if not she can falsely accuse me of something that I didn't do like domestic voilence and that will be worse scenario for me . What really can I do now?? I need help please. Thank u all

I'm so sorry you're in this situation.

Where are you staying now?

About the address situation, here is my suggestion. Go to the nearest post office and open a PO box just for you. Then go online and change your MAILING address with uscis to that PO box. USCIS will send your mail there. Maybe you also need to do a forwarding to the box in your name only. That can be done on the usps website. Depending on where and how long you're staying you might or might not consider changing the physical address with USCIS too but you were already advised not to change it for now. 

Generally it would be a federal offense for her to refuse to give you your mail. Since you got a stamp extending your GC now, do the PO box so you won't miss any mail.

At this point I wouldn't worry about citizenship since you need to work out your marital problems first. If it so happens that you guys divorce you'd need to wait 5 years to apply for citizenship. 

Please stay safe wherever you are. Your situation sounds similar to mine. I had to open the PO box, get my own bank account and stay at friend's house. Police was called several times too. Your wellbeing is first. Hang in there. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

All marital problems aside....

If you wait a bit longer, you are eligible for naturalization, based on the 5-year residency rule, so yes you can apply even though your ROC has not been approved yet.   Your marital status will be pretty much irrelevant since it's not a marriage-based application given the amount of time you've been a resident of the US.

If you can, apply for the N400 online.  The reason I suggest this in your case, is that you will then be able to download/view and print any letters sent by USCIS instead of worrying that she will intercept letters in the mail, and you never see them.  Or set up a post office box.

Your lawyer suggesting you stay in the marital home where your spouse is emotionally/mentally/physically abusing you is poor advice, at the very least.  No one should have to put up with that.  She's at least done you a favor by kicking you out, in that aspect.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You have been given some really good advices above. I will also suggest you get a new bank account and fill out a new direct deposit form at your workplace to the new account. If she keeps her money, so can you. The naturalization as said is not marriage based so you are good on that. Since she put you out, move out or you risk getting into more trouble, jeopardizing your naturalization if she accuses you of a crime you didn’t do. If she called the police multiple times knowing you didn’t do anything, she can do anything. Wishing you all the best. 

Timeline

i thank everyone of u with these great advises.I really do appreciate it.Will Do the PO box as suggested. Now living with one of my work mate for now till i get situated. Once again thank u all very much..

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Makafui said:

i thank everyone of u with these great advises.I really do appreciate it.Will Do the PO box as suggested. Now living with one of my work mate for now till i get situated. Once again thank u all very much..

Did you called the police when she kicked you out? If you did the police will make you wrote your statements on their dairy statements paper,  and they gonna give you a copy for your future reference.The police called can help you a lot since she kicked you out so you can be free from that problems. USCIS always considered the marriage that there's abused by physical or mentally if you have evidence that your wife or husband abused you on your marriage. I support my friends telling you to buy p.o box so you can used that one for your important things but not immigration alone. 

6 hours ago, Makafui said:

Hello everyone my story is long but I hope u will take ur time to read it and give me appropriate suggestions. I came here on K-1 visa. Married before my 90 days. Got my conditional Green card in March 2014 and I have some few concerns and anyone with good advice will be highly appreciated.. My wife kicked me out on 2nd July 2018 and that was our 5 years of marriage. The last one year in the marriage was really a hectic for me. She called police like 5 or 6 time on me but anytime the police come in and hear the 2 side,they kept on asking her that,she is wrong and they can't do anything for me just because I was asking her to pay bills especially car insurance, Duke energy,Water and cable anytime the money was given to her for those things. I remembered she got mad one time with one of the police officers that they always on my side whenever she called them. And that she gonna sue them but I really don't know how it ended up and since then she don't called police again till this time.  We are living in her mother's house and all the bills are in her late sisters name. Anytime I asked her to change the bills in our name,she will refused and finally she took her mother to a nursing home. That broke my heart so badly. 2nd July will be our 5 years of marriage.Though we  have been having marital problem as each couple do at times,the whole thing is that, most of the arguments happen when it's time for bill payments. Anytime my direct deposit goes into our joint account,she will withdraw the cash and then overdraft the account again.She work but her money dont go into our joint account.So sad. Now we jointly filed the remover of condition and that petition has been pending with the USCIS for over two years now. So many info pass appointments but nothing came up. The only answer to me is wait and that ur case is still pending. My case was file since February 16 ,2016, we went to the interview October 12 2017 and after the interview, the officer said we were approved and that the green card will be in the mail within weeks, still no card. I called many times but the same issue (pending) and I went there again in  April 2018 and that was 6 months after the interview to really know what's really going on and they again stamped my passport for the second time with I-551 and said my case is pending..I contacted a lawyer and he said the only thing I can do is to file citizenship now. And that will make them to make a decision on my case but he said he will suggest for me not to change my address now. Now my question is,if I don't change my address and a letter from the USCIS came and she refused to give it to me, what can I do? I called the police  to come to witness what she did by putting my things out and changing the locks. One of the police officers advice me that,I should just leave if not she can falsely accuse me of something that I didn't do like domestic voilence and that will be worse scenario for me . What really can I do now?? I need help please. Thank u all

I am so sorry how your wife treated you. The policeman is right for suggesting to leave that your wife might falsely accused you and you will be more in trouble. About applying for Naturalization you only need 3 months to live in your new address you are eligible on a 5 years residency. Your pending 10 year green is already approved. It will be triggered when you apply your Naturalization as some VJyers are saying and doing. I suggest to apply online but you need to create an USCIS account first which you can file online. USCIS will give you update on what's going on with your application. You can view to your account if Biometrics appointment is scheduled. You will receive updates from USCIS through online and they will send you also paper notification. Some are suggesting you to get a POBox and that is a good idea.  I wish you success in your future life.                                                     

Timeline

Yes I called the police when she kicked me out and changed the locks. It was night time  when she did that and when the police came,he asked me if I have anywhere to sleep for the night and then  come back later during the day for my stuffs and he asked me call them again when I am back for my things. My friend whom I am living with right now were at work then as he work third shift so I went to 24 hours Walmart parking lot and slept in my car till the morning. When my friend got home,he called me and I again called the police and they led me to get my stuffs outside. Police did not take any note during that time but I believe they will have a record in the downtown police department. I really thank each and every one for the help.I got the P.O.Box address as suggested.. Thank alot

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.