nikha

San Jose, CA Field Office

417 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
5 hours ago, mav11235 said:

Congrats @Bella_28

Out of curiosity, what happens if you don't have a valid GC by this oath ceremony date?

By that I mean people like me who still haven't had their ROC application approved yet, and I am hoping that with my N-400 interview they will also approve my I-751, but even if they do that I am not sure if I will receive my GC within that ~1 month period. Can you not attend the oath ceremony without the ROC GC?

I'm in a similar situation.  When I went for my biometric appointment in February, I was told to keep the expired green card safe cause I would have to surrender it at the oath ceremony.  I guess their assumption was that I would not get the 10 year green card even if ROC was approved due to N-400.

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

11/18/2014: NOA 1

12/11/2014: Biometric Appointment

01/16/2015: NOA 2

02/27/2015: Employment Authorization Card Received

02/27/2015: Interview

03/09/2015: Green Card Received

Timeline
On 8/24/2018 at 3:57 PM, Bella_28 said:

Yes I am now a US citizen, tremendous credit to this website. The ceremony only took an hour but the line outside took forever as there were 400 people attended. We had to surrender the green card and also bring the appointment Letter. Before the ceremony started there were people from SS, Voters Officer and passport officers would instruct you what would be next step now that were citizen. People there would provide passport application and if you want to register to vote after the ceremony. Hopefully this would help people that will attend oath in Campbell theater. Also, if you visit Campbell theater website you will see the schedule of oath ceremony each month, so you kind have ideas when will be your oath ceremony after your interview. I didn’t apply passport right away as I need the original to take with me to renew my driver license. Good luck

Thanks for sharing and congratulations.  By the way, did you have to submit passport photos when you went for your interview?  If so, how many did they need?

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
2 minutes ago, teshah said:

I'm in a similar situation.  When I went for my biometric appointment in February, I was told to keep the expired green card safe cause I would have to surrender it at the oath ceremony.  I guess their assumption was that I would not get the 10 year green card even if ROC was approved due to N-400.

@teshah

On a somewhat related note, what documents are you taking to the N-400 interview? Are you following some check-list?

Thanks

Timeline
20 minutes ago, mav11235 said:

@teshah

On a somewhat related note, what documents are you taking to the N-400 interview? Are you following some check-list?

Thanks

Not a check list per se, but taking all the documents I uploaded when I applied for the N-400; bank statements, tax return transcripts, insurance cards, kid's and hubby's birth certificate, marriage certificate and our lease.  For good measure, I'm also going to bring my own birth certificate cause I read somewhere on this forum that somebody was asked for it.  I'm also bringing print outs of pages that the information has since changed since I applied and also a page where I made a mistake but corrected it.

For I-751, I sent the above, plus W2s, auto insurance, utility bills, affidavits, phone statements, medical statements, flight itineraries and hotel booking confirmations from our vacations and various photos.  So I'll be bringing all these plus updates of the same i.e, December 2016 to August 2018 documents.

Edited by teshah
AOS from F1

18 minutes ago, teshah said:

Thanks for sharing and congratulations.  By the way, did you have to submit passport photos when you went for your interview?  If so, how many did they need?

They did not asked for passport photos at all when I had my interview. In my naturalization certificate they used the photo they had taking when I did my biometrics.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Bella_28 said:

They did not asked for passport photos at all when I had my interview. In my naturalization certificate they used the photo they had taking when I did my biometrics.

Thank you!

AOS from F1

Found a pdf of legal groups with USCIS (I'm not sure if I can post it) explaining some points

- The cause of backlog is not because of N400 application increase.

"Does USCIS have an estimate of how many more adjustment of status cases it will be interviewing as a result of the new EB / Refugee/Asylee and I-751 mandatory interview policy?

In San Jose we estimate our FY 18 workload to be about 5800 EB, 5000 FB and 17,000 naturalization cases. The EB cases are new to us this year."

- Bring 2 photos (2x2) with you during interview

- Don't check name change in N400, SJ does not have judicial ceremony, it will delay the process.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:56 PM, molly28 said:

Found a pdf of legal groups with USCIS (I'm not sure if I can post it) explaining some points

- The cause of backlog is not because of N400 application increase.

"Does USCIS have an estimate of how many more adjustment of status cases it will be interviewing as a result of the new EB / Refugee/Asylee and I-751 mandatory interview policy?

In San Jose we estimate our FY 18 workload to be about 5800 EB, 5000 FB and 17,000 naturalization cases. The EB cases are new to us this year."

- Bring 2 photos (2x2) with you during interview

- Don't check name change in N400, SJ does not have judicial ceremony, it will delay the process.

Thanks for sharing! Anybody has recent updates? I noticed that SJ office changed to 11.5-17.5 months....

Timeline
On 9/4/2018 at 4:13 PM, cococandy said:

Thanks for sharing! Anybody has recent updates? I noticed that SJ office changed to 11.5-17.5 months....

I think @teshah had their N-400 interview today. Not sure what happened there. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, mav11235 said:

I think @teshah had their N-400 interview today. Not sure what happened there. 

Yes, I had my interview today with a pending ROC.  The interview letter never mentioned anything about ROC but I went with my hubby anyway. That was a good decision because when my number was called, the IO asked whether my spouse was around because he needed to be present for the interview. Interview lasted about 20 minutes for both N-400 and ROC.  For the ROC, he asked for documents that proved my spouse and I still live together.  I gave him bank statements, tax transcripts, and some utility bills which he made copies of.  Then he asked us how and when we met, when we started living together, our wedding date (which we had to tell him 3 different times cause he kept getting it "wrong") and then asked whether we owed any taxes.  He thought it was funny when I answered "not as far as I know" and that was it.  He then asked my spouse to leave the room so he could conduct the N-400 interview.  We went over the Yes/No questions, updated some information that has since changed then signed it.  Proceeded to the civics test which he said "correct" after every answer I gave.  I got all 6 questions right at which point he said since I got them all, that was all for that portion of the test so we'd proceed to the English test.  There was an oral test and a written test.  For the written section he just read out a sentence and asked me to write it down. He then told me he would be recommending me for approval and that my oath ceremony will be in 2 weeks if it wasn't already full which he didn't think it was and to be on the look-out for my oath letter in the mail within the next week.  Oath ceremony will be in Campbell. My test was as follows:

Civics and History test:

1.  When was the declaration of independence adopted?

2.  Name one of the longest rivers in the U.S.

3.  What is the name of the speaker of the house of representatives?

4.  What do we call the first 10 amendments to the constitution?

5.  We elect a president for how many years?

6.  Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?

English oral test:

1.  Who was Abraham Lincoln?

English written test:

1. Lincoln was President during the Civil War.

AOS from F1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, teshah said:

Yes, I had my interview today with a pending ROC.  The interview letter never mentioned anything about ROC but I went with my hubby anyway. That was a good decision because when my number was called, the IO asked whether my spouse was around because he needed to be present for the interview. Interview lasted about 20 minutes for both N-400 and ROC.  For the ROC, he asked for documents that proved my spouse and I still live together.  I gave him bank statements, tax transcripts, and some utility bills which he made copies of.  Then he asked us how and when we met, when we started living together, our wedding date (which we had to tell him 3 different times cause he kept getting it "wrong") and then asked whether we owed any taxes.  He thought it was funny when I answered "not as far as I know" and that was it.  He then asked my spouse to leave the room so he could conduct the N-400 interview.  We went over the Yes/No questions, updated some information that has since changed then signed it.  Proceeded to the civics test which he said "correct" after every answer I gave.  I got all 6 questions right at which point he said since I got them all, that was all for that portion of the test so we'd proceed to the English test.  There was an oral test and a written test.  For the written section he just read out a sentence and asked me to write it down. He then told me he would be recommending me for approval and that my oath ceremony will be in 2 weeks if it wasn't already full which he didn't think it was and to be on the look-out for my oath letter in the mail within the next week.  Oath ceremony will be in Campbell. My test was as follows:

Civics and History test:

English oral test:

English written test:

Congrats @teshah. That's excellent news. Would you be ok updating the Google spreadsheet linked in my signature for this thread with your timeline?

Edited by nikha
Update

Please update your case Google Sheet Based Tracker for San Jose Field Office

Please update your passport tracking cases Google Sheet Based Tracker for Passport

Timeline
7 hours ago, teshah said:

Civics and History test:

English oral test:

English written test:

Congratulations. :)

Timeline
19 hours ago, nikha said:

Congrats @teshah. That's excellent news. Would you be ok updating the Google spreadsheet linked in my signature for this thread with your timeline?

Thank you! Unfortunately, the spreadsheet would require my personal information hence for privacy reasons, I will have to politely decline.

18 hours ago, mav11235 said:

Congratulations. :)

Thank you and all the best to you too.  When is your interview?

AOS from F1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
4 hours ago, teshah said:

Thank you! Unfortunately, the spreadsheet would require my personal information hence for privacy reasons, I will have to politely decline.

Thank you and all the best to you too.  When is your interview?

@teshah just curious to understand what personal information is required to update the spreadsheet? In case if it's asking something I can go ahead and fix it so that others are ok updating it.

Data is still the same that gets posted on this forum thread. Is the spreadsheet asking you to sign in? Provide username password?

Your input will help.

Please update your case Google Sheet Based Tracker for San Jose Field Office

Please update your passport tracking cases Google Sheet Based Tracker for Passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.