nikha

San Jose, CA Field Office

417 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2019 at 10:48 PM, bpd_93 said:

Summary of N400 interview at San Jose office:
-location name is confusing as address is actually Santa Clara
-originally filed in Seattle, used online portal to change address and interview was quickly re-scheduled
-short security screening, then check-in at front desk to get a waiting ticket number, takes 5 minutes
-appt. time was 2pm, 1 hour delay, did not get called until 3pm (main factor in 3/5 rating) - I was the last appointment
-officer had a trainee with them
-take oath 
-take webcam picture and fingerprints
-reviews N400 applicant in detail, correct any missing fields, looks at passport to confirm international trips and asked me for approximate durations of each trip, added in trips that happened after applying 
-reads and asks you to answer all the security/allegiance questions 
-english test: Read "Who lives in the White House?" and write on an ipad "The president lives in the white house" 
-civics test: taken directly from the booklet guide given at the biometrics appt. just reviewed that booklet a couple days prior and questions are easy. Also used this website that has the questions in electronic quiz form: https://civicsquestions.com/
-got recommendation for approval, stated there would be a final review and then oath ceremony letter to be mailed later (could not give accurate timeline for receiving, only that one can make an appointment if not heard back in 120 days)
-received envelope with passport application that can be turned in at the oath ceremony (but only if you have a morning slot, afternoon has to apply at post office)
-with waiting and appointment, total time was about 2 hours

Hope this helps. Good luck.

How long it took to schedule the Oath Date? 

Edited by visajourneyy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, visajourneyy said:

How long it took to schedule the Oath Date? 

I got the oath scheduled the day after my interview. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

2017-02 filed

2017-02 receipt 

2017-03 scheduled for biometrics 

2017-03 had biometrics 

2017-11 interview scheduled. 

2017-12 interview 

2017-12 oath ceremony scheduled. 

2018-01 afternoon oath ceremony in Campbell so no sane day passport application 

2018-01 next day passport application made at local post office (made appointment as soon as I knew oath day)

2018-01 received passport two weeks later 

2018-01 visited SS office to get new SS card 

2018-02 received new SS card 

2018-02 submitted I-129F for spouse ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Mike E said:

2017-12 interview 

Appointment was at 2pm. Was seen at 5:30 pm.  

As I got green card through marriage, IO glanced at birth certificates of my USA born children with my ex-wife and was satisfied that marriage was bonafide.  Asked me a few questions from N-400 about criminal and political activities.  

Went over the affiliations  I had had.over the years (professional and political).  

Did the civics test.

I studied for it it during the additional 3 hour wait by downloading official USCIS civics test app and got all Possible questions right on app.    In those days there weren’t security guards haranguing peole to not play with their phones.   

Answered  6 out of 6 civics questions correctly during interview. 

He started the English test but I pointed out  I was exempt.  

Then he asked me for passport photos. I didn’t bring any.  He said normally he would take the photos but his digital camera was broken. (Note that as of 2020, San Jose office set up has interviewees take biometrics in the interview waiting area).  He told me to bring passport photos the next day.  Which I did.  

2018-01 afternoon oath ceremony in Campbell so no same day passport application 

Lined up outside.  Was asked if I had traveled between interview and oath. Yes I had.  Was asked if I still met the physical presence and continuous residency requirements. 

Naturalization certificate used my photos from my 2017-03 biometrics appointment.  

Edited by Mike E

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My case progressed (and completed) far quicker than I expected. I applied end of July and got an interview date mid-december. I had my interview end of January and oath end of February. I had 2+ years of stay outside the US after receiving my GC. So I waited 5 full years to apply after returning to the country. I was concerned that I would be drilled about my absences, but no questions were asked. The interview & oath experience was similar to what others have posted. Oath was held in Campbell and we queued up outside in the sun on a hot day, but I think if you reached the venue at the time allotted to you, its still OK. You'll be let in last and be seated at the back of the auditorium but its not a problem really!

I took my 4 month old child with me to the oath ceremony, I even nursed him during the ceremony since he was fidgety and about to cry - it was not a problem. During my interview I was told (by the USCIS supervisor) that I could speak to the officials outside the auditorium if I am unable to sit for a long time inside with my baby, they might be able to do the oath in a separate room for such folks. Lots of volunteers or staff to help people get seated and everything was flawlessly executed. I would bring snacks and drinks in a backpack for consumption before or after the ceremony.

• 6 months later...

What's going on with the San Jose office!? Filled N400 mid March this year, got a bio letter soon after but it was canceled due to covid... No updates since then..

Has anybody got any update on their case recently?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
30 minutes ago, john.smith said:

What's going on with the San Jose office!? Filled N400 mid March this year, got a bio letter soon after but it was canceled due to covid... No updates since then..

Has anybody got any update on their case recently?

No, I believe they don't even send out biometrics reuse notices. 

I filed on 2nd Aug and still waiting for my appointment to be scheduled. 

10 minutes ago, KM9868 said:

No, I believe they don't even send out biometrics reuse notices. 

I filed on 2nd Aug and still waiting for my appointment to be scheduled. 

I renewed my GC over 2 years ago... Not sure if they can reuse the biometrics in my case...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
22 hours ago, john.smith said:

I renewed my GC over 2 years ago... Not sure if they can reuse the biometrics in my case...

You should call them if they still haven't sent you anything in the next two weeks. 

I believe San Jose ASC reopened on 13th July. 

If you do not receive an appointment notice or notification of biometrics reuse by mail within 90 days of your ASC reopening, call 800-375-5283 .

2 hours ago, KM9868 said:

You should call them if they still haven't sent you anything in the next two weeks. 

I believe San Jose ASC reopened on 13th July. 

Can I do a walk in with my old bio letter?

16 hours ago, KM9868 said:

I don't think they take walk-ins currently...

so I called USCIS today. the wait time was a bit over 1h.. no walk in's. also, they said that they can only try to schedule a new bio after 90 days (from the day the office opened) but there is no guarantee it would be approved by the office. she also said that it's up to the officer working on my case to decide if they are going to reuse the old biometrics. so, they could not help me but told me just to wait.

Edited by john.smith

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.