katiebooker

Can we trust this lawyer?

5 posts in this topic

My husband (USC) and I (Canadian) are looking for a lawyer for a CR-1 application. We spoke to one that we really liked that told us about AOS as an alternative to the CR-1. Regarding AOS they said that as long as there was no intent to immigrate at the point of entry, it is legal even if we knew that it was an option ahead of time. 

We're sticking with the CR-1 (married last month in Canada) but now I'm wary about the lawyer. The lawyer specializes in immigration so I doubt they'd give us bad information but I researched AOS after the meeting since I hadn't heard of it and for our situation it seems like it's bad news. The whole point of us hiring a lawyer is to avoid delays by getting it right the first time so I want to make sure we're hiring someone good before giving them thousands of dollars for something we can do ourselves.

So my question is this: is what the lawyer told us correct? I'd really like to hire them since they were great in every other way, but I want to check on this first because if they gave us bad information I know I'm not going to be able to trust anything else they say. 

Apologies if this is in the wrong place! 

Stick with cr1. 

Planning on doing AOS from tourist visa is indeed immigration fraud. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

you are married to USC .. so you have intent to immigrate. AOS is not right for you. 

Follow CR1 path. If you have a simple case (which seems like) do it yourself. This website is all about DIY case. Read the site, ask questions and do it on your own. You will do it way better and you will handle much better than any lawyer. Having lawyer is like middleman to fill the forms coz you are the one who will collect all required paper work. This middleman will always delay and for this middleman its just a job however for you it's your life. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
47 minutes ago, katiebooker said:

My husband (USC) and I (Canadian) are looking for a lawyer for a CR-1 application. We spoke to one that we really liked that told us about AOS as an alternative to the CR-1. Regarding AOS they said that as long as there was no intent to immigrate at the point of entry, it is legal even if we knew that it was an option ahead of time. 

We're sticking with the CR-1 (married last month in Canada) but now I'm wary about the lawyer. The lawyer specializes in immigration so I doubt they'd give us bad information but I researched AOS after the meeting since I hadn't heard of it and for our situation it seems like it's bad news. The whole point of us hiring a lawyer is to avoid delays by getting it right the first time so I want to make sure we're hiring someone good before giving them thousands of dollars for something we can do ourselves.

So my question is this: is what the lawyer told us correct? I'd really like to hire them since they were great in every other way, but I want to check on this first because if they gave us bad information I know I'm not going to be able to trust anything else they say. 

Apologies if this is in the wrong place! 

It sounds like you found a lawyer that actually understands family based immigration AND your personal circumstances.  Chose from the options he gives you, according to what you think best meets your family's needs and priorities.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

If you were already in the USA then AOS would be an option for you.  If you are not then continue with the CR1.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.