7 posts in this topic

I need some guidance please. We just received notice that the NVC has accepted all of our application except one document, it has rejected our police/criminal record report (completely clean), though our lawyer and anything I can find online told us to go to go to the Federal Ministry of Justice and Human Rights under the auspices of the Registro Nacional de Reincidencia. We did that and received a clean record report from them. Now for some reason NVC is saying its invalid. (though, my spouse did pay for it to be expedited and they gave him a digitally signed document), but they don't say why it is invalid or whether its the wrong agency . Could someone please tell us if this is NOT the agency we need to go to or if they have had a similar situation that was resolved?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

The State Department reciprocity page says this about certificates from Argentina: "The document must have the annotation mentioned above, “Penales con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal”. Without this annotation, a full list of arrests and charges won’t be provided."

Does that apply to your document?

(Info from https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Argentina.html)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi! I think the beneficiary is getting a police certificate from Argentina. Reviewing the requirements for the document on travel.state.giv, it looks like you got the document from the right authority. I wonder if you got the one with the annotation: “con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal.” Otherwise you don’t get the full list of previous criminal records.

I’d recommend reviewing the instructions yourself to verify the document you submitted met all of the requirements.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Argentina.html

CR-1 Nebraska Service Center U.S. Embassy Madrid

Event

Date
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Madrid, Spain
Marriage (if applicable):  
I-130 Sent : 2018-04-11
I-130 NOA1 : 2018-04-23
I-130 RFE :  
I-130 RFE Sent :  
I-130 Approved : 2018-06-20
NVC Received : 2018-06-27

4 minutes ago, ChrisJay11 said:

Hi! I think the beneficiary is getting a police certificate from Argentina. Reviewing the requirements for the document on travel.state.giv, it looks like you got the document from the right authority. I wonder if you got the one with the annotation: “con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal.” Otherwise you don’t get the full list of previous criminal records.

I’d recommend reviewing the instructions yourself to verify the document you submitted met all of the requirements.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Argentina.html

Thanks Chris and Shumway88. My spouse is in Buenos Aires, and it does not have "con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal" but I am wondering whether they are looking for that anyway as if he is in the US already. I haven't been able to find any other place to get a certificate from and he got what he was asked. My attorney hasn't responded yet. I am quite perplexed by this. I appreciate your quick responses.

Best,
Jack

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

As the State page says the document name must be “

Document Name: Certificado de Antecedentes Penales con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal.

I interpret to the instructions to mean whether or not you’re in Argentina that you need to have that annotation in the document. I’d have your spouse request the document again requesting that it be the version with the excepción. 

My my mother had an issue with her spouse’s police certificate that our lawyer wasn’t very helpful in resolving. So just be prepared for the potential your lawyer wouldn’t be very helpful on this specific issue. You can always call NVC at their number to verify what was wrong with the document although it’s pretty clear to me what the issue is. 

CR-1 Nebraska Service Center U.S. Embassy Madrid

Event

Date
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Madrid, Spain
Marriage (if applicable):  
I-130 Sent : 2018-04-11
I-130 NOA1 : 2018-04-23
I-130 RFE :  
I-130 RFE Sent :  
I-130 Approved : 2018-06-20
NVC Received : 2018-06-27

24 minutes ago, ChrisJay11 said:

As the State page says the document name must be “

Document Name: Certificado de Antecedentes Penales con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal.

I interpret to the instructions to mean whether or not you’re in Argentina that you need to have that annotation in the document. I’d have your spouse request the document again requesting that it be the version with the excepción. 

My my mother had an issue with her spouse’s police certificate that our lawyer wasn’t very helpful in resolving. So just be prepared for the potential your lawyer wouldn’t be very helpful on this specific issue. You can always call NVC at their number to verify what was wrong with the document although it’s pretty clear to me what the issue is. 

I agree. I just saw that as well. This seems to be the problem. My souse is going to call the agency. The problem and confusion on his part is you actually must request the document online before making the appointment (and paying the fee at the bank), but on line there is only one request and it doesn't specify anything about Article 51 of the Penal Code. So I think he just needs to be more specific when he goes back in to talk to them. I went through the web pages myself and it doesn't have anything but the one request. But he still needs to go down and meet them personally to pick it up, so I'm guessing that will be how he requests it.

Thanks for the follow-up. This has all been very helpful because I doubt my attorney will figure it out.

Best,
Jack

• 3 months later...

Hi Jack i just found your post saying you had a problem with the police certificate. I submitted my documents to nvc this week and i am afraid that my pc did not had that saying "con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal" so you are positive i will have problems because of that? And how did you get a new one with that saying? Thank you very much for your help! Regards!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.