Jump to content

Any help would be appreciated

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



I am filling out the forms to bring my wife and 2 year old step daughter over to the US. I am having difficulty finding a answers to a few of my questions. If anyone can help with any of them, that will be great.


  1. Does my 2 year old step daughter require a I 130A as well?
  2. Do I submit the same proof that I do for her mother such as copies of conversations, boarding passes and others?
  3. Will i need to get audio transcripts of Whatsapp voice messages as that is the primary way of communication of will the screen shots of of the voice messages suffice?
  4. She has a passport with her maiden name but since we got married she has changed her last name to mine, will she need to get a new passport with the updated name, a legal document stating the name change, or will the original passport be fine since her new ID has the name change?


Thanks for any help

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have you thoroughly read the I-130 instructions?  The answers to your first two questions are in there.


3) no you don't need audio transcripts.


4) If she wants her green card to be in her married name, her passport would also need to have her married name.

Visa in passport name

green card in visa name. 

~~ moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. No. Only your spouse's I-130 petition needs an I-130A. However, you must file a separate I-130 for the child.
  2. See the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/childpet
  3. There is no way to provide digital files or anything other than printed documents. So no audio or video will work, and transcripts would not be verifiable. Screenshots and chat transcripts are what most people use.
  4. If she wants the visa and green card in her married name, she will need a new passport. They will issue the visa in the name on the passport, and the subsequent green card will be issued in that name as well.



AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

?/?/18: Approved (hopefully)





12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received



4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017



5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need relationship evidence in the child's petition package, except your marriage certificate and the child's birth certificate.  Those establish your legal marriage to the child's mother.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.