Jblack

I-130/I-130a question clarification before I file

15 posts in this topic

I was looking for clarification on a few question before I file. 

Question 1.

General question the instructions say to answer all questions fully and to use N/A if the question does not apply. I am just typing NA and not N/A because form does not allow N/A. Also tells you to use type None for any question that requires a numeric response. That is impossible because it gives you an error if you try to use anything other than a number. So I have been typing 0 (zero). Is that sufficient?

I-130

Question 2. Part 2 #11/12.a-13.b

If I click box 11 then I am unable to fill out 12a-13b. However the form states that I must

" Provide your physical address for at least 5 years whether inside or outside the United States"

However there is not space for me to put in the dates I lived at at my current address (mailing address). Only if I click NO for question 11 can I add the dates in 13.a-13b.

Should I click NO so I can fill this part out? Even though my mailing address is the same as my physical address?

Question 3. Part 2 #21

Do I just leave the date blank if still married? I tried to put 00/00/0000 but it would not allow that.  

Question 4. Part 2 #30.a

For my mother name. This is asking for her current name not her maiden name correct?

Question 5.Part 2 #42

My employer just had a merger/buyout. Do I need to fill out 2 different employers or should I just use the new company name?

Question 6Part 4 #48

If I put a passport in #47 then do I put NA in #48? A passport is also a travel document so want to make sure.

Question 7. Part 4 61.a-62.c

61.a-61.b Only answer if my wife is in the US now correct?

62.a-62.c My wife lives in Panama City so put that information in this section correct?

I-130a

Question 8. Part 4, 5, & 6

My wife is still learning English and I am still learning Spanish. However she is currently lives in Panama so I am filling the form out. We use a translator app and WhatsApp. I just asked her for the information and she sent it to me. So in Part 4 #1.a/1.d/2 can I check 1.a as I am filling the form out and she is not required to sing because she is overseas? Or do I need to check box 2. As I am both the preparer and the translator?

If I check box 2. Then do I need to fill out part 5 and 6? I do not know much Spanish so I can not certify that I am fluent in English and Spanish. Also Part 6 states to fill out only if the preparer of different than the preparer used for I-130. I was the preparer for the I-130 so I should just NA that secton?

Question 9

The address seem to assume that the Beneficiary lives in the US. The addresses in Panama are not the same as addresses in the US. They use building names instead of numbers and it is hard to properly fill this information in the blanks provided. Is it acceptable to attach a separate paper with the proper format labeled addendum 1. Then put that in the notes in Part 7 as " Addresses are different than the US. Please see addendum 1 for proper format"?

Sorry I know I am probably way over thinking this but I just do not want to make any mistakes. I am sure those of you that have done this understand. Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

Filed: Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-130.pdf

Heres the example form. What browser/program are you using to fill in the form. I opened it in chrome and I dont seem to be having the same issues as you are. 

Worst case scenario print out the form and fill it in by hand.

If you have specific questions still repost them.

7 minutes ago, Damara said:

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-130.pdf

Heres the example form. What browser/program are you using to fill in the form. I opened it in chrome and I dont seem to be having the same issues as you are. 

Worst case scenario print out the form and fill it in by hand.

If you have specific questions still repost them.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. 

USCIS

Form I-130

OBM No. 1615-0012

Expires 07/31/2018

USCIS

Form I-130a

OBM No. 1615-0012

Expires 07/31/2018

I really would rather type it in as my handwriting is not the best. 

Yes I still have many question notes by the question numbers. I will see about using another program to fix some of the issues.

53 minutes ago, Jblack said:

Question 2. Part 2 #11/12.a-13.b

If I click box 11 then I am unable to fill out 12a-13b. However the form states that I must

" Provide your physical address for at least 5 years whether inside or outside the United States"

However there is not space for me to put in the dates I lived at at my current address (mailing address). Only if I click NO for question 11 can I add the dates in 13.a-13b.

Should I click NO so I can fill this part out? Even though my mailing address is the same as my physical address?

Dont click no if the answer is yes. Try to fill in the form like the example has it.

Question 3. Part 2 #21

Do I just leave the date blank if still married? I tried to put 00/00/0000 but it would not allow that.  

leave blank

Question 4. Part 2 #30.a

For my mother name. This is asking for her current name not her maiden name correct?

her legal name. If she is currently widowed or divorced and went back to her maiden name then use that. If not use her married name

Question 5.Part 2 #42

My employer just had a merger/buyout. Do I need to fill out 2 different employers or should I just use the new company name?

Use current name

Question 6Part 4 #48

If I put a passport in #47 then do I put NA in #48? A passport is also a travel document so want to make sure.

yes

Question 7. Part 4 61.a-62.c

61.a-61.b Only answer if my wife is in the US now correct?

62.a-62.c My wife lives in Panama City so put that information in this section correct?

I-130a

Question 8. Part 4, 5, & 6

My wife is still learning English and I am still learning Spanish. However she is currently lives in Panama so I am filling the form out. We use a translator app and WhatsApp. I just asked her for the information and she sent it to me. So in Part 4 #1.a/1.d/2 can I check 1.a as I am filling the form out and she is not required to sing because she is overseas? Or do I need to check box 2. As I am both the preparer and the translator?

If I check box 2. Then do I need to fill out part 5 and 6? I do not know much Spanish so I can not certify that I am fluent in English and Spanish. Also Part 6 states to fill out only if the preparer of different than the preparer used for I-130. I was the preparer for the I-130 so I should just NA that secton?

This form is filled out by the petitioner (you). She doesnt sign anywhere and you did not use a translator or preparer since you did it yourself.

Question 9

The address seem to assume that the Beneficiary lives in the US. The addresses in Panama are not the same as addresses in the US. They use building names instead of numbers and it is hard to properly fill this information in the blanks provided. Is it acceptable to attach a separate paper with the proper format labeled addendum 1. Then put that in the notes in Part 7 as " Addresses are different than the US. Please see addendum 1 for proper format"?

Sorry I know I am probably way over thinking this but I just do not want to make any mistakes. I am sure those of you that have done this understand. Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

17 minutes ago, Damara said:

Dont click no if the answer is yes. Try to fill in the form like the example has it.

leave blank

her legal name. If she is currently widowed or divorced and went back to her maiden name then use that. If not use her married name

Use current name

yes

This form is filled out by the petitioner (you). She doesnt sign anywhere and you did not use a translator or preparer since you did it yourself.

Perfect you are awesome. I had everything correct just wanted to have someone else verify that for me. 

One thing you said about question 8. That the form should be filled out by me  (Petitioner). How I read it was that the I-130a is to be filled out by my spouse (Beneficiary). So I need to sign I-130 & I-130a form also or leave the  signature blank on the I-130a as she lives overseas.

BTW- Chrome seems to have fixed the issue so far I was having with N/A and physical address. THANKS!

Edited by Jblack
Forgot a detail

glad to hear chrome fixed some of the issues.

Yes the 130a is a separate form. Its filled out by the spouse. What are you going to do about part 4 on that form? You said youre not fluent in her language and shes not fluent in English. I would think number 2 preparer part 6 applies.

But you may have bigger issues. They like to see a common language. How do you guys communicate if you dont share a language? You will have to overcome that.

45 minutes ago, Damara said:

Yes the 130a is a separate form. Its filled out by the spouse. What are you going to do about part 4 on that form? You said youre not fluent in her language and shes not fluent in English. I would think number 2 preparer part 6 applies.

But you may have bigger issues. They like to see a common language. How do you guys communicate if you dont share a language? You will have to overcome that.

That is why I was asking on part 4. I also think option 2 would be my best choice.

As for the language issue. We use a translator for messaging. I have chat logs for every day since the day we 1st meet with our conversations. Also she had a private tutor when she was in Florida (where we met). Shar has also been taking paid classes in Panama. She is also looking into taking courses at a university owned by FSU that will give her credits that will be recognized in the US. I am hoping that will be sufficient. Also by the time we go to the interview we hope she will be much more fluent.

She does understand most of what I say in English. She has more problems speaking English. When I visit we do not use the translator much only sometimes when I need to explain something more complicated.

I plan to write a letter explaining this along with my I-130 package.

Do you think it will still be an issue?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Damara said:

The I-130a can be "filled out" by anybody.  What is important is that it is filled out with the correct information about the immigrant spouse.

Concerns about a common language are mostly a thing of the past, at least ten years past.  Either way, "not fluent" does not mean "cannot communicate".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

32 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The I-130a can be "filled out" by anybody.  What is important is that it is filled out with the correct information about the immigrant spouse.

Concerns about a common language are mostly a thing of the past, at least ten years past.  Either way, "not fluent" does not mean "cannot communicate".

So it will be fine to leave the box checked in

Part 1.a. 

"I can read and understand English, and have read and understood every question and instructions on this form and my answer to every question"?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jblack said:

So it will be fine to leave the box checked in

Part 1.a. 

"I can read and understand English, and have read and understood every question and instructions on this form and my answer to every question"?

If it's true, yes.  If not, no.  That part is simple.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the petitioners parents

I have a step dad who I recognize as my father since I was a child. Do I put his name since I know all his info? 

Or do I put biological father that is on my birh certificate but I never knew or met and I don't have any info on him except name and state born...  I don't know if he is alive or not nor do I want to know. 

29 minutes ago, Kethnthai said:

I have a question about the petitioners parents

I have a step dad who I recognize as my father since I was a child. Do I put his name since I know all his info? 

Or do I put biological father that is on my birh certificate but I never knew or met and I don't have any info on him except name and state born...  I don't know if he is alive or not nor do I want to know. 

If I did put step father then I could explain in part 9 "aditional info 

58 minutes ago, Kethnthai said:

Or do I put biological father

Put what is on the birth certificate unless you were adopted.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

35 minutes ago, Kethnthai said:

All I know is full name and Florida for birth place. 

Everything else Leave blank or put N/A?

And explain in part 9

"Abandon me and mother"

YEs

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.