Momo12

Police record

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello fellow VJers.

My fiance filed for our I-129F in March 2018, so we still have a while until our NOA2.

(Hopefully September/October)

Just so that things go smoothly after we get approved, I was thinking about getting my police certificates at the NOA1 stage.

I will need one from Japan, Canada and France.

The French one was easy to obtain online and I already have it in hand.

I'm planning on going to the tokyo police department next week to apply for my Japanese police certificate and get my fingerprints taken so that I can send them to Canada to get them digitilized.

My question is, does anyone know if police certificates expire?

This might be an embassy specific question so it'll be really helpful if I can get some thoughts from Tokyo embassy filers.

Thanks for the help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Check the period of the validity of the police certificate and the requirement of the embassy. In London they only accept a police certificate issued within six months. You may be premature in getting this now as current processing times mean it is unlikely you will get NOA2 by September. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Momo12 said:

Hello fellow VJers.

My fiance filed for our I-129F in March 2018, so we still have a while until our NOA2.

Just so that things go smoothly after we get approved, I was thinking about getting my police certificates at the NOA1 stage.

I'm planning on going to the tokyo police department next week to apply for my Japanese police certificate and get my fingerprints taken so that I can send them to Canada to get them digitilized.

This might be an embassy specific question so it'll be really helpful if I can get some thoughts from Tokyo embassy filers.

Thanks for the help!

The one for Tokyo has 1 year validity. I asked to the embassy if my 3 month old certificate would be considered too old at the time of interview and they said the validity is one year so it’s ok. However as Tokyo will give it to you within 2 weeks anyway, my personal thought on getting the one from Tokyo May be a little too early. 

However getting from from other countries may take longer so you should get them. Unless you re-enter these countries they will be valid.

each country may decide on a specific expiration date so you should check that with the countries you’re getting the certificate from. However above rule applies.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Momo12 said:

Hello fellow VJers.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe it’s too early to apply because after you get petition approved, you still need to wait for visa application. To get the certificate, you also need to show them “A document that confirms your necessity of the certificate; for example, a letter from the authority stating the requirement to submit it”

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/smph/multilingual/english/finding_services/applications/criminal_record.html

Edited by Gloriazlh

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Gloriazlh said:

Maybe it’s too early to apply because after you get petition approved, you still need to wait for visa application. To get the certificate, you also need to show them “A document that confirms your necessity of the certificate; for example, a letter from the authority stating the requirement to submit it”

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/smph/multilingual/english/finding_services/applications/criminal_record.html

NOA1 works for that. but yes it is early to do the one from Japan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks for the replies @fip & jim @Naes @Gloriazlh !!

I took a "yuukyuu" for that day already so I think I'll just go get my fingerprint taken for the Canadian police certificate and wait to apply for my Japanese one for a later date.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Momo12 said:

Thanks for the replies @fip & jim @Naes @Gloriazlh !!

I took a "yuukyuu" for that day already so I think I'll just go get my fingerprint taken for the Canadian police certificate and wait to apply for my Japanese one for a later date.

I'd say that is a good plan :)

For Japanese one my suggestion is to get it when you get approved as it won't take longer than 2 weeks. and thats perfect for the timeline for your petition to reach NVC

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.