72 posts in this topic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
It's not a second cousin, it's a first cousin once-removed.

Second cousins have the same great-grandparents, but not the same grandparents.

The children of my first cousins are still first cousins, but separated by a generation, hence once-removed.

I am not sure, but I would think that the first cousin rules would apply.

Yes, but they need only marry (not live) in a State where it is legal. They may proceed with the visa process as if their genealogy was not a factor.

That's been debated here on VJ many times, and I'm not so sure you're right. It usually comes up with the issue of divorce and certain states having mandatory waiting periods. I don't think there's ever been any solid conclusions.

I'm not conflicted in the least. My second wife's sister married their first cousin in a State where it was legal and lived their lives in a State where first cousin marriage is not allowed. No sweat, except with the family consternation. There must have been something quite special about this young woman, I couldn't grasp, because two brothers wanted very much to marry her. Such is life.

Immigration law does not concern itself with future legal complications of potential divorce or the inconvenience of potential marriage waiting periods. The marriage needs to be legal where it is intended to occur.

Consensus on VJ is not the be all and end all of each possible immigration question. :no:

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The children of my first cousins are still first cousins, but separated by a generation, hence once-removed.

Yes, but they need only marry (not live) in a State where it is legal. They may proceed with the visa process as if their genealogy was not a factor.

That's been debated here on VJ many times, and I'm not so sure you're right. It usually comes up with the issue of divorce and certain states having mandatory waiting periods. I don't think there's ever been any solid conclusions.

I'm not conflicted in the least. My second wife's sister married their first cousin in a State where it was legal and lived their lives in a State where first cousin marriage is not allowed. No sweat, except with the family consternation. There must have been something quite special about this young woman, I couldn't grasp, because two brothers wanted very much to marry her. Such is life.

Consensus on VJ is not the be all and end all of each possible immigration question. :no:

Of course not, but are you the be all and end all of each possible immigration question?

ETA: I do not think you are wrong, but I would hesitate to put it out there with such authority that this will not possibly cause any difficulty in thier immigration process.

Edited by jenn3539

Timeline

Of course not, but are you the be all and end all of each possible immigration question?

Of course not. The question is ludicrous on its face. Agreement is not the measure by which "correct" is determined.

As you will undoubtedly notice, people with serious immigration related questions are looking for the be all and end all answer to their questions whenever possible.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on, and I'm not looking to argue.

I was merely advising that maybe the OP should not take your assessment of the situation as some sort of guarantee that the cousin issue will not interfere with the immigration process.

Timeline

I was merely advising that maybe the OP should not take your assessment of the situation as some sort of guarantee that the cousin issue will not interfere with the immigration process.

That advice is likely to cause undue stress and worry for the OP's family members. There actually are clear answers to some questions. This is one of those times and one of those answers.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

That advice is likely to cause undue stress and worry for the OP's family members. There actually are clear answers to some questions. This is one of those times and one of those answers.

I disagree.

Let's leave it at that.

Filed: Timeline

I disagree.

Let's leave it at that.

I agree with you Jenn. Not sure this is a clear cut answer...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
To some cultures it's not so ewww.

good for them, fortunatly im not in any of those cultures and its ewwwwww!!

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

1. The I-129F requires you to identify the nature and degree of reltionship (Item 17)

2. They must be legally free to marry according to the laws of both countries. Does the law in the Philippines allow for cousin marriages? If not, a petition for fiance will not be valid.

3. Because of the close family ties, the consulate will most likely take an interest in the relationship between the two and need to verify that the union would be valid. Even if the degree of relationship is valid, they will be taking a hard look at the legitimacy of the engagement.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

To some cultures it's not so ewww.

The british royal family would be a good example. Keep it in the family, thats their policy :)

History:

K1
I-129F sent : 27-4-07...NAO1 received : 21-5-2007...NOA2 received : 29-8-2007...PKT 3 received : 20-10-2007...PKT 3 returned : 15-11-2007...PKT 4 received : 06-12-2007...Interview : 02-01-2008...Flight : 13-01-2008...Marriage : 15-01-2008

AOS
Entered USA.....01-13-08.....0...Married.....01-15-08.....2...Filed AOS.....01-17-08.....4...Received.....01-21-08.....8...NOAs (dated).....02-04-08.....22...Cheques cashed.....02-06-08.....24...Biometrics.....02-22-08.....40
Changed address online.....02-25-08.....43...Touched (AOS/EAD/AP).....02-26-08.....44...Address change receipt (mail).....03-07-08.....54...AP approval email.....03-12-08.....59...EAD card mailed.....03-18-08.....65...EAD card arrives.....03-20-08.....67...AOS Interview.....07-17-08.....186

ROC
Event.....Date.....Day......Mailed I-751.....07/07/10.....0...Re-sent I-751.....07/15/10.....8 (photocopy)...NAO1 Date.....07/16/10.....9...NOA1 Rec'd.....07/23/10.....16...BIO Notice.....07/26/10.....19...BIO...Rec'd.....07/30/10.....23...BIO Date.....08/12/10.....36...Card sent.....09/28/10.....83...Card Rec'd.....10/04/10.....89

Present:

N-400

Event.....Date....Day

Mailed N-400.....6 Mar 2014.....0

NOA.....11 Mar 2014.....5

BIO.....2 Apr 2014....27

INT.....10 June.....65

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

Lol, yeah, a lot of Arab cultures are that way, also. In fact, my best friend is Palestinian/Italian and her father had her marriage arranged to her first cousin. It was the same "keep the money & riches" in the family mentality. They even have a baby together.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
:o:o:o

EAD:

Please see timeline

AOS:

2/19/08: AOS Packet Mailed

2/20/08: AOS Packet Delivered

2/26/08: NOA Date

2/27/08: Check Cashed

3/03/08: NOA Recv'd

3/15/08: Biometrics Complete

3/17/08: Can See Status Online

9/20/08: Receive Intv. Appt Letter

10/17/08: Touched

10/28/08: AOS Interview - APPROVED

10/30/08: Card Production Ordered

11/06/08: Welcome Letter Arrives

11/10/08: GC Arrives

10/2011: Citizenship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The question won't arise because two people have the same middle name. That's probably not a wholly uncommon occurance.

The question WILL arise on the I-129F where, if memory served, applicants are asked "are you related to your fiance?"

Then they'll have to understand their level of consanguity to answer correctly and using what titles (first, second, second-once-removed, whatever - I hardly understand that chart since I don't even have first cousins or aunts or uncles of my own).

(side question: is there really a requirement to divorce in the state where you live? what about people going the quickie reno divorce route? or people who move and later divorce? oh well, learn something potentially-new every day . . . )

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.