aiyappan

June 2018 AOS Filers

310 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Quick recap of my experience being paroled back into the US at LAX a few days ago.

After being away for 2 weeks, my wife (US citizen) and I were unsure of what to expect when re-entering at LAX so we decided to try and go through together.

When we finally reached the front of the line, I advised the officer that I had an Advance Parole and presented my combo EAD/AP card. He scribbled "Advance Parole" on a scrap of paper and tucked it inside my passport with my combo card. He then advised my wife that she was good to go, but that they needed to carry out a "quick check" on me. She was told to wait downstairs at baggage claim. After she left, I was taken to an Admissions Review area behind secure doors and told to take a seat in a fairly busy waiting area. My passport was handed to a lady at the front desk, and was then placed in a plastic slot on the wall behind the reviewing officers.

The officers handling the reviews admittedly have a tough job, but they were very unfriendly and it was never made clear exactly what was going on. At one point, there were a few people standing around the waiting room and one of the officers started shouting that everyone needed to sit down. Another man tried to leave after having his papers handed back by a reviewing officer, but had clearly not been told that he needed to see the lady at the front desk first so that he could be signed out. The lady at the front desk responded by shouting at the man that he would be arrested if he walked out the doors.

Phones were not permitted in the area so I could not message my wife to let her know what was going on. After waiting for 45 minutes, I was finally called. The officer simply asked my date of birth and then put a Parole stamp in my passport with some handwritten notation. I was handed back my passport without another word. Based on what I'd seen, I made sure to speak to the lady at the front desk who wrote something down and confirmed that I was allowed to leave, but only after I specifically asked.

The process was horrible and I felt liked a caged animal throughout. I realize that the CBP officers were busy, but I don't think that justified their generally unpleasant and unhelpful demeanor. The first officer we spoke to before Admissions Review told my wife that a quick check needed to be carried out, which was not accurate at all. It should have been evident from the number of people in the waiting room that we were in for a lengthy wait and I was a bit annoyed that this wasn't communicated better.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. I was lucky in that I didn't really have any trouble getting back in, but did have to suffer a long, uncertain wait.

Coincidentally, we got an update this morning that our I-485 interview has been scheduled :)

Edited by TomServo

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/15/2019 at 5:09 PM, Rilo0918 said:

hey guys, haven't been on here for awhile but just wanted to update for those of you that has helped me!

So from my previous posts, you guys know that my work permit was taking more than 6 months and I have requested for expedited service through both USCIS and my congressman. However, even reaching out, I never received any assistance.

On Dec 11 2018, I got a notification regarding my green card interview and it was scheduled for today (Jan 15, 2018). Then on Jan 11, 2018 I got another notification telling me that my EAD card was being produced (literally only 4 days before my green card interview). Anyways, the interview was this morning and it went really well. The immigration officer we had was awesome and I honestly had a great time talking to her. Just prepare all supporting documents and RELAX. So now I'm waiting on to see which one (work permit or green card) comes in first.

Let me know if you guys have any questions for me and good luck!

Hi. I would like to ask if the IO asked for your proof of residency like utility bills, or bank account? Coz i don't have anything since they always ask for SSN which I don't have also.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi @eckoin. I would like to ask if the IO asked for your proof of residency like utility bills, or bank account? Coz i don't have anything since they always ask for SSN which I don't have also. What else can i provide?

2 hours ago, Lakwatsera said:

Hi. I would like to ask if the IO asked for your proof of residency like utility bills, or bank account? Coz i don't have anything since they always ask for SSN which I don't have also.

In my case, yes. Before I went in for my interview, I prepared all of the supporting documents: electricity bill, insurance, apartment leasing agreement, car purchase (receipt), pictures of my husband and I...etc

Find anything you can that contains you and your spouse's name, so that'll prove that you guys are legit.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Got my interview scheduled for 4/22!!! 

Here's my timeline:

June 25 — Package delivered at Chicago Lock Box

July 3 — Got text and email notifications (late, around 9PM)

July 5 — Both cheques cashed

July 9 —  Received notice of acceptance receipt in the mail

July 16 — Received Biometrics request for July 24th, 8AM apt

July 25 — status for I-765 and I-485 changed to "Fingerprint Review Was Completed"

Sept 24 — EAD expedite requested

Sept 24 — Supporting documents for EAD expedite requested by USCIS

Oct 1 — Faxed in supporting documents for EAD expedite

Oct 11 — I-485 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

Oct 15 — EAD card in production

Mar 4 — Interview was scheduled

Mar 11 — Letter Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/5/2019 at 12:16 AM, TomServo said:

Hi everyone,

Quick recap of my experience being paroled back into the US at LAX a few days ago.

After being away for 2 weeks, my wife (US citizen) and I were unsure of what to expect when re-entering at LAX so we decided to try and go through together.

When we finally reached the front of the line, I advised the officer that I had an Advance Parole and presented my combo EAD/AP card. He scribbled "Advance Parole" on a scrap of paper and tucked it inside my passport with my combo card. He then advised my wife that she was good to go, but that they needed to carry out a "quick check" on me. She was told to wait downstairs at baggage claim. After she left, I was taken to an Admissions Review area behind secure doors and told to take a seat in a fairly busy waiting area. My passport was handed to a lady at the front desk, and was then placed in a plastic slot on the wall behind the reviewing officers.

The officers handling the reviews admittedly have a tough job, but they were very unfriendly and it was never made clear exactly what was going on. At one point, there were a few people standing around the waiting room and one of the officers started shouting that everyone needed to sit down. Another man tried to leave after having his papers handed back by a reviewing officer, but had clearly not been told that he needed to see the lady at the front desk first so that he could be signed out. The lady at the front desk responded by shouting at the man that he would be arrested if he walked out the doors.

Phones were not permitted in the area so I could not message my wife to let her know what was going on. After waiting for 45 minutes, I was finally called. The officer simply asked my date of birth and then put a Parole stamp in my passport with some handwritten notation. I was handed back my passport without another word. Based on what I'd seen, I made sure to speak to the lady at the front desk who wrote something down and confirmed that I was allowed to leave, but only after I specifically asked.

The process was horrible and I felt liked a caged animal throughout. I realize that the CBP officers were busy, but I don't think that justified their generally unpleasant and unhelpful demeanor. The first officer we spoke to before Admissions Review told my wife that a quick check needed to be carried out, which was not accurate at all. It should have been evident from the number of people in the waiting room that we were in for a lengthy wait and I was a bit annoyed that this wasn't communicated better.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. I was lucky in that I didn't really have any trouble getting back in, but did have to suffer a long, uncertain wait.

Coincidentally, we got an update this morning that our I-485 interview has been scheduled :)

I was placed in secondary at LAX when I was coming back in from stockholm on my TN and had a horrible experience as well, but instead it was 3 hours. There were people in there that were in there before me and were still waiting when I was called. My now husband and I had to enter different lines so he had no clue where I went and was frantically asking around for me. I had to sneakishly text him to tell him to go home instead of waiting. There were like 3 windows open for a room full of ppl and the officers were just joking around chatting. I was pretty pissed after a 12 hour flight but you're at the mercy of the CBP in that moment. It's pretty scary. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

June 2018 filer here from ATL....

About 2 weeks ago USCIS has updated our online status to for my husband's AOS. They scheduled the interview and the email mentioned that a mail with the interview has been sent. However, so far, our lawyer has received the notice but not us and we are not sure why. 

Our interview is set to April 16th in Atlanta field office.

Has anyone else been through this, where their lawyer has received the marriage interview notice but not you?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline
13 hours ago, Andy1991 said:

Good evening,

June 2018 filer here from ATL....

About 2 weeks ago USCIS has updated our online status to for my husband's AOS. They scheduled the interview and the email mentioned that a mail with the interview has been sent. However, so far, our lawyer has received the notice but not us and we are not sure why. 

Our interview is set to April 16th in Atlanta field office.

Has anyone else been through this, where their lawyer has received the marriage interview notice but not you?

Are you spouse of US citizen?

June 28, 2018         : AOS Package Sent

July 02, 2018          : AOS Package delivered at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

July 10, 2018          : Received USCIS e-notification for AOS package reception

July 14, 2018          : Received hardcopies of all 3 NOA1s by mail

July 20, 2018          : Received Biometric Appointment Notice by mail || Appointment date: August 3, 2018

July 25, 2018          : Biometrics done in Lubbock, TX - Early Walk-In successful!

July 31, 2018          : Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

August 2, 2018       : I-130 petition approved (received e-notification)

August 6, 2018       : Received I-130 approval notice (NOA2) by mail 

October 25, 2018   : I-765 approved (received e-notification _ New Card Is Being Produced)

October 28, 2018   : Received I-765 & I-131 approval notice by mail

November 1, 2018 : Received EAD Combo Card by mail

July 03, 2019          : An Interview was scheduled

July 11, 2019          : Received Interview Notice by mail

August 8, 2019       : Attended AOS interview and got approved

August 12, 2019     : Received AOS approval notice by mail

August 15, 2019     : Received Green Card by mail

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Unfortunately, as i suspected this might happen, it did - my application was denied! Reason for I-130 is that we failed to show up for the interview, and I-485 due to I-130 being denied as there is no valid grounds to adjust the status. This was clearly their mistake, as we requested the interview to be rescheduled, which they received, and on the phone they confirmed i need to wait for new interview date. Instead, they sent a denial. I called and got a service and an Infopass requests put in. Will have to wait now to see what the outcome of those will be.

I can submit a motion to reconsider or reopen, but I just feel it is stupid that i need pay 675$ for their mistake! Does anyone know here if involving a congressman would help here? Or my only chance is to pay? 

Thank you!

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Just in case anyone has use of my updates: after a rejection due to above explained mistake on USCIS end, we wrote to our senator (####### Durban in IL) and they were very helpful! His office send out a note/inquiry and we received a notification that the case was reopened for review - on May 9, which was 2 days before last deadline for us to submit a motion to reconsider. That was very good news, and we also didn't have to pay the fee! 

As we didn't get any news on new interview date for few months, we asked senators office if they can inquire. Reply they got was not too helpful - we are in the queue. But then about 2 weeks later we got a notice of new interview date, to happen in 2 weeks from the notice date! It was also written on a "regular" paper and not like notices they usually send out. I believe it did make a difference that senators office made the inquiry!  

Interview done, went well, more felt like a conversation, got notification next day that GC is approved and now waiting for the actual card to arrive. One chapter can be closed! in two years we go again..  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.