Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 3LabMom said:

Hi All - I spoke to my lawyer and she is reaching out to the only lawyer she feels would file a lawsuit against Montreal.  She will get back to me sometime Monday/Tuesday as to whether or not he feels we have a case.  I have also asked if those who had a company file on their behalf can join as well.  I will let you know what I find out.

That's great. Thank you so much for doing this.

My lawyer keeps insisting that I wait...!

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, can_do said:

That's great. Thank you so much for doing this.

My lawyer keeps insisting that I wait...!

No problem.  I think she enjoys pushing their buttons.  She has been meeting with different Senators trying to bring light to the situation in Montreal for the past 6 months (all pro bono!).  She has managed to get a few expedite requests through doing this recently, unfortunately no luck with mine so far but she is continuing to press them for one.  She e-mailed Montreal regarding mine on Friday again, so I suspect it will be a few weeks before she hears anything back, if at all.

46 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

Meeting with different Senators trying to bring light to the situation in Montreal for the past 6 months (all pro bono!). 

That’s really great, grateful for her effort. Wow, 6 months working with Senators and MTL manages to actually make things worse for us each month….they are something else altogether :(

22 hours ago, 3LabMom said:

No problem.  I think she enjoys pushing their buttons.  She has been meeting with different Senators trying to bring light to the situation in Montreal for the past 6 months (all pro bono!).  She has managed to get a few expedite requests through doing this recently, unfortunately no luck with mine so far but she is continuing to press them for one.  She e-mailed Montreal regarding mine on Friday again, so I suspect it will be a few weeks before she hears anything back, if at all.

That's amazing! 

Unfortunately, I was told this past Friday, my law firm, as great as they are at filing I-140's, does not do any litigation....

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, ALC said:

That's amazing! 

Unfortunately, I was told this past Friday, my law firm, as great as they are at filing I-140's, does not do any litigation....

I'm pretty excited about this!  I work with two lawyers (different firms) as the one just does the 1-140's as well, but they recommended the second after 8 months of getting nowhere fast as she deals more with the posts directly.  The second lawyer was pretty pumped Friday when I asked about a potential group lawsuit, she didn't even wait for my go ahead to contact the only lawyer she thinks that would file the lawsuit, she jumped right on it!  I'm really hoping that we can get some traction as this waiting game is not very enjoyable.  I can't even imagine how those waiting 2 years feel, one year has been challenging enough.

3 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

I'm pretty excited about this!  I work with two lawyers (different firms) as the one just does the 1-140's as well, but they recommended the second after 8 months of getting nowhere fast as she deals more with the posts directly.  The second lawyer was pretty pumped Friday when I asked about a potential group lawsuit, she didn't even wait for my go ahead to contact the only lawyer she thinks that would file the lawsuit, she jumped right on it!  I'm really hoping that we can get some traction as this waiting game is not very enjoyable.  I can't even imagine how those waiting 2 years feel, one year has been challenging enough.

Me too, I have been a long time lurker here for the past 6 months or so, and finally said to myself that maybe we should do something. 

I am hoping we don't actually go to court with DOS/MTL, and fingers crossed a Intent to Sue letter from a lawyer and a couple dozen signatures might force them to change their tactics. 

We shall see I guess lol

Edited by ALC

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/2/2022 at 10:03 AM, Canusa1 said:

Anyone know how long it would take for an AOS to take place? I just got my document request for Montreal NVC and I have not sent it in. Thinking about getting a L1A and doing AOS instead of waiting for Montreal.

how long you guys think that would take to do AOS
thank you 

AOS is significantly faster. I'm seeing EAD & AP approvals of 3 months, and I-485 approval of 6 months. I am personally pursuing this route instead.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, ALC said:

Wanted to test the temperature of folks here re: filing a class action suit against the Montreal consulate/Department of State, in terms of willingness and resources.  We all should have standing, though depending on the personal situation, might be a varying degrees of difficulties to prove injury.  I think for folks here that have retained a law firm for their I-140 and Consular Processing stages, wouldn't hurt to ask our lawyers if we have a case and report back. 

May be interested depending on how much that would cost. Thanks

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, VA21202 said:

Appreciate if you can share any links to this. My spouse just filed for us via AOS so will be great to re-calibrate the 15 month expectation to 3-6 months. Thanks!

Have a look on the Lawfully app. Plenty of them. I'm just linking one https://www.lawfully.com/community/posts/i485-approved-dsZj8VkOTtDenDcdTUTjcA==

Note: These are referring to non-concurrent I-485 filings.

Concurrent I-140 + I-485 filings are taking 18 months.

Edited by CanadianMD

30 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

Have a look on the Lawfully app. Plenty of them. I'm just linking one https://www.lawfully.com/community/posts/i485-approved-dsZj8VkOTtDenDcdTUTjcA==

Note: These are referring to non-concurrent I-485 filings.

Concurrent I-140 + I-485 filings are taking 18 months.

Thanks, that’s great news! I-140 in Premium Processing shouldn’t take more than 15 days anyway. Good to know I-485 timelines are looking better, thanks for the link!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, VA21202 said:

FB got letters today (saw one up to Oct 21 2020). Congrats @204! I remember you were active here, back when EB and FB moved together very slowly at MTL. Good luck to you :)

Thank you very much!

I’ll keep everyone posted how everything goes. 

7 minutes ago, VA21202 said:

FB got letters today (saw one up to Oct 21 2020). Congrats @204! I remember you were active here, back when EB and FB moved together very slowly at MTL. Good luck to you :)

Actually really good to see that MTL is actively clearing the backlog of cases, for me personally, the frustration is less about the wait, but the unpredictable timeline of MTL and the feeling of being stuck. 

Exactly @ALC! Maybe their plan is to flush out all the FBs now and that might take another 6 rounds of letters to get to a backlog free state (assuming they do 3 months in each round). But you’re right, if they could just communicate what the plan is, that would be super helpful and be a lot less frustrating. At this point unfortunately we just don’t know their plan.

Edited by VA21202

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.