Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

So how does family reunification come in?

Is it siblings/ parents etc who are US citizens, and since Family Preference category takes longer, they apply through EB?

There could be spouses living and working in the US on a work visa (H1B, L1 etc.) while the applicant is waiting to get this interview to go to the US on a green card via EB. Spouses are separated in this case and due to various EAD requirements for spouses of H1Bs, it’s not a straightforward move to the US. Hence family reunification comes in to the mix.

If you are married or have kids prior to getting a US green card and spouse is not in US for adjustment of status, you can apply for a spouse GC under same petition ( i 140- employment based petition in our case) without having to file separate i 130. This process used to quicker in earlier days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, VA21202 said:

There could be spouses living and working in the US on a work visa (H1B, L1 etc.) while the applicant is waiting to get this interview to go to the US on a green card via EB. Spouses are separated in this case and due to various EAD requirements for spouses of H1Bs, it’s not a straightforward move to the US. Hence family reunification comes in to the mix.

I see what you mean.

From the perspective of US immigration policy though, family reunification means reuniting USC and LPRs with their non USC and LPR relatives. When everyone involved are foreign citizens, I don’t see how it could be a case of family reunification from the perspective of USCIS, and thus it is not defying the logic of the immigration policy. 

From the human perspective though, I can see the hardship being experienced by the applicants….I didn’t think of this scenario in the past…

Timeline
1 hour ago, F2J_March said:

If you are married or have kids prior to getting a US green card and spouse is not in US for adjustment of status, you can apply for a spouse GC under same petition ( i 140- employment based petition in our case) without having to file separate i 130. This process used to quicker in earlier days.

Right sorry, wasn't perfectly clear.

But F2J_March stated what I meant in the follow-to-join situation. Whereby a spouse of a permanent resident qualifies under EB because that is what the initial petitioner was, this used to be quick prior to COVID and now its the only option after the primary applicant has converted to GC.

Edited by raisins

I see they wrote in their website: "Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued". Do they still ask for a police certificate from country of previous residence or birth at the interview, even though I haven't returned there after the police certificate was issued more than two years ago?

Edited by Nimar

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Nimar said:

I see they wrote in their website: "Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued". Do they still ask for a police certificate from country of previous residence or birth at the interview, even though I haven't returned there after the police certificate was issued more than two years ago?

Yes, you will need to provide the certificate of the country of previous residence at the interview. A police certificate from that country if obtained more than 2 years ago will be accepted, so long as you haven’t been there since it was issued.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, VA21202 said:

Thanks! Per the chart shared by @Blueeyes1989, it’s seems like IR/CR was about 150 and E was 85, however this graph seems to show IR and E both at about <100, just wanted to call that out. Thanks for putting these together!

Np. I only included IR1/CR1. I believe in @Blueeyes1989's post, it includes CR2, IR2, IR5 as well. If I include those, then it would be 152.

If you believe that my chart should include IR2, IR5, and CR2, let me know and I am happy to add those.

12 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

Np. I only included IR1/CR1. I believe in @Blueeyes1989's post, it includes CR2, IR2, IR5 as well. If I include those, then it would be 152.

If you believe that my chart should include IR2, IR5, and CR2, let me know and I am happy to add those.

Oh got it, thanks a lot, that makes sense. That’s cool, don’t want to bother you with the change, this chart is already super helpful to see the trend. It’s definitely converging but hopefully they keep going. May will be interesting coz we didn’t even have regular round of letters except for the one Sorrel had to request and that too will reflect only in the end of June stats!

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, VA21202 said:

Oh got it, thanks a lot, that makes sense. That’s cool, don’t want to bother you with the change, this chart is already super helpful to see the trend. It’s definitely converging but hopefully they keep going. May will be interesting coz we didn’t even have regular round of letters except for the one Sorrel had to request and that too will reflect only in the end of June stats!

Regardless, from the trends it seems like Montreal is slowing down again. Not sure why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.