kangjie

Don't pump Gas on 5/15

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Riddle me this: unless people get rid of their cars, what good would a day-long boycot do?

I agree that a boycott's not a long term solution, however, since oil is a trading commodity, the market tends to over-react when things like this happen.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
well, we have to go to work...so we need gasoline ...sorry :unsure:

I don't know why that would mean people can't car pool, use public transportation, or buy more fuel efficient vehicles. :blink:

I have an answer for #2 and 3. Public transportation is not available everywhere. The area where I live is a good example. More fuel efficient vehicles are expensive - I would love to get a hybrid car, but I have to wait till they become more affordable.

Car pool - sure, why not :)

Gas prices in the SF Bay Area are among the highest in the nation, but I doubt it'll make me stop buying gas.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Besides, what are we protesting? At $3.00 / gallon, gas is not exactly unaffordable. :whistle:

Well, at least milk and gas are neck to neck as far as price goes...for a while milk was more expensive than gas. Around here gas is running about $2.89 a gallon...milk is going for $2.99.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Riddle me this: unless people get rid of their cars, what good would a day-long boycot do?

it wont do any good. thats the gay part. its like smoke-out day, do ppl really think if i dont smoke for one day i will quit? pffffft!!! :lol:

Perhaps the petition should be "Don't pump ### on 5/15" :lol:

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Cool. The lines might be a bit quicker that day. Doubt it though. So Cal residents don't usually play these silly games.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I don't know why that would mean people can't car pool, use public transportation, or buy more fuel efficient vehicles. :blink:

No one I work with lives anywhere near me, public transportation in my area is extremely inefficient and impractical, and I can't afford a more fuel efficient car at this point.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I have an answer for #2 and 3. Public transportation is not available everywhere. The area where I live is a good example. More fuel efficient vehicles are expensive - I would love to get a hybrid car, but I have to wait till they become more affordable.

Car pool - sure, why not :)

Gas prices in the SF Bay Area are among the highest in the nation, but I doubt it'll make me stop buying gas.

:thumbs:

I don't have the money to go run out and buy a new car just to save gas. My car is good on gas as it is. :D

When I grew up in upstate NY, by the time you got to the closest bus stop you'd already been driving 10-15 minutes ... and only had 15 or 20 more to go, so the point in stopping to get on a bus was...stupid.

And again with car pooling...I lived in the country, not everyone was going even close to the same place...sometimes they were going in opposite directions. When my husband didn't have his license, we car pooled. Florida traffic made me nuts, and I didn't save any money in gas. :o

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

No one I work with lives anywhere near me, public transportation in my area is extremely inefficient and impractical, and I can't afford a more fuel efficient car at this point.

Contrare mon frere of the OC. ;) I used the OC Metrolink buses exclusively for a good 6 months before getting another car. We have a pretty good system - although it requires a little planning.

I recently just started commuting to me new job in LA (about 60 miles one-way) from LB. I found a co-worker who lives in N. Anaheim and we're going to try carpooling at least 2 times a week. With this new commute I'm spending about $60 a week extra on gas...and it's adding up fast.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
What really gets me is that there are always people that actually 1) open these chain e-mails and 2) never seem to learn that every last one of them is nothing but nonsense.

Or that the world can't be saved by email...

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

What about biofuels? NO WAR REQUIRED!! OI'm currently running biodiesel. No conversion, no NOTHING. just put it in the tank and go. Mix it with petroleum diesel at any ratio. Smells like cooking french fries.

BTW - all this talk about biofuels competing with the food supply is total BS. They are already making biodiesel out of ALGAE, and already making ethanol out of cellulose (the corn husks). Its just a short matter of time and a few bucks to make it practical. If you compare it shipping 3 billion / day overseas, its already practical. If you compare it with going to war, its rediculous.

The talking points you hear are OIL INDUSTRY talking points, and many of them use OLD statistics, and don't take into account any brand new technologies (such as the one that recaims the CO2 lost in fermenting ethanol and turns it into ethanol. That one alone, if made practical, would mean that only 10% of the US corn crop (not even cellulose!) would accomodate the ENTIRE US FUEL ANNUAL CONSUMPTION.

and, another thing they don't tell you much... the total greenhouse emmisions from biofuels ....... drumroll..... ZERO. ZIP. NADA. NOTHING. The plant locks away all the carbon as its growing. When you burn it, the net difference is 0. zero emmisions. They don't talk about that one much.

Meanwhile, the net PROFIT of Exxon Mobil was 10 times bigger than the gross of Intel. Would that money be best spent in the US?

If you want to do something, do that. Biodiesel or ethanol. The oil companies will never get your money that way! Instead, your neighbors do!

Your absence runs through me like a needle

Everything I do

Is stitched with your color

Married in 2005

I-130

2/6 NOA1

5/11 touch

5-10 Approval for both 129F and I-130

129F

2/14 applied

3/01 NOA1

5/1-11 a few touches

5-10 Approval for both 129F and I-130

5-21 sent to NVC

5-22 129F recieved @ NVC

5-29 forwarded to Embassy

6-12 interview date set (discovered, rather) ... (still no NOA2)

6-22 email notification of NAO2 for I-130

6-27 email notification of NOA2 for 129F

7-15 Medical appointment - Docs say she has pneumonia and want to run 2 months + $2K USD of tests.

7-19 interview

7-20 informed that she has cleared medical. Documents not yet forwarded to Embassy, they will not release them to her, saying they must deliver the documents themselves. (Not true. many people had their medical papers @ the interview)

7-21 Missed flight

7-25 Docs recieved by embassy, visa all ready to go

7-27 Visa revieved

7-28 ARRIVED IN USA!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

waiting for AOS NOA

9-28 5 page RFE sent :(

10-7 RFE recieved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
and, another thing they don't tell you much... the total greenhouse emmisions from biofuels ....... drumroll..... ZERO. ZIP. NADA. NOTHING. The plant locks away all the carbon as its growing. When you burn it, the net difference is 0. zero emmisions. They don't talk about that one much.

Ethanol is CH3CH2OH which then the carbon has to turn in to carbon dioxide. There will also be some NOx gases because nitrogen in the air and it will get converted in the engine chamber.

Also ethanol because of its water content makes it a lot less powerful thus getting much less miles per gallon

Ethanol has to go thru alot of refinement. It takes alot of energy just to remove the last 1% of water from

Because of the water content it will shorten many components of the car. Also its heavier than gasoline in the tank.

Biodiesel is good for the landfields, but wont make much a dent in greenhouse gases.

I like the fact that garbage, plastics etc. can be put into a crack furnace and turned into oils that can be used a fuels.

The Chinese are working on liquid coal, that will be similar to diesel fuel.

"It took 4 years to bridge the gap"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
What really gets me is that there are always people that actually 1) open these chain e-mails and 2) never seem to learn that every last one of them is nothing but nonsense.

And could possibly contain a virus........duh to the ppl who open those things :)

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!