67 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Can you just go to the pharmacy where you get your birth control filled -- explain that you are leaving the country and you'd like an early refill. You may have to pay out of pocket but it might be cheaper than shelling money up front to see Planned Parenthood or your county health department, which will be your cheapest options without insurance. Once you're on your husband's insurance, it'll be cheaper to establish care with a PCP/gyn.

3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

This is a wonderful system that many of us utilize.

Also, many medications are over the counter in Mexico and much cheaper. I see you'll be in Texas, if you're close to the border you could just drive to Mexico and buy medications from there. Crossing the border with them is not an issue as long as they're not narcotics 

Edited by Orangesapples

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, madiartzer said:

This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you! I’ll screenshot this and send it to my fiancé. I’m sure he’ll add me to his coverage plan. 

Bingo..I think she got her answer. (I agree, you have to have insurance while in the US, in fact...it's mandatory). 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Mandatory, but there is no penalty for not having insurance.  

Just a possible astronomically high medical bill if you don't, I'm not one to gamble on not having insurance...but go ahead and play that game. You do realize that health care in the US is probable the highest of most nations. 

Lets just make a scenario....she doesn't have the money to buy the birth control...and oh on..your pregnent! Lets see what that costs....my wife just had our first baby via C-section...the bill was around $87,000! My out of pocket= around $250. Insurance is a must. 

Edited by javadown2

6 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

Just a possible astronomically high medical bill if you don't, I'm not one to gamble on not having insurance...but go ahead and play that game. You do realize that health care in the US is probable the highest of most nations. 

So true...I've never had a medical claim in my life more than like $100, until last month. Last month I've had over $60,000 in medical bills, and will likely top 6 digits by the end of this month. I've paid ~$250 out of pocket (plus premiums).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

Yes, I realize that.  That's why I have US health insurance for the big stuff to keep my payments low, and I seek medical services in Mexico where care is better than in the US.

Pointing out that there is no penalty for having mandatory insurance is just that.  It's doesn't mean that I subscribe to not having insurance.  Just pointing out a fact.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

So true...I've never had a medical claim in my life more than like $100. Last month I've had over $60,000 in medical bills, and will likely top 6 digits by the end of this month. I've paid ~$250 out of pocket (plus premiums).

It pays to have good health care insurance, your's sounds good! Unfortunately my wife is scheduled for another expensive procedure (probable $50k+) but this time we may have a little more out of pocket. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

Yes, I realize that.  That's why I have US health insurance for the big stuff to keep my payments low, and I seek medical services in Mexico where care is better than in the US.

Pointing out that there is no penalty for having mandatory insurance is just that.  It's doesn't mean that I subscribe to not having insurance.  Just pointing out a fact.

And I'm just pointing out that the non-existent penalty could be a huge hospital bill. 

Two points: there is no federal law making having health insurance mandatory. The SCOTUS went over that fine point already. For those that do not want insurance, a fine is paid in taxes. However with the new administration, that is going away, meaning pretty much it's a choice like it always was anyway.

However, I find it generally the responsible thing for a USC bringing their fiancé or spouse into this country to do everything they can to add them or obtain for them some sort of insurance. It's imo one of the most important types of support, of which the USC agrees to do as sponsor. It's very expensive, but for now, there's not a lot to be done about that. For new couples not wanting a pregnancy, for couples wanting a pregnancy, and for those that have any sort of health condition or daily/monthly medication it is essential. Of course there many healthy persons out there that feel they don't need insurance, wait until the emergency happens... and watch the bills bankrupt you. But I do sympathize, the high cost of insurance does not make it affordable for many.

Secondly: There is no way a K1 who needs to file AOS should be anywhere near the border of Mexico. There's enough big warning threads about that.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Just now, javadown2 said:

It pays to have good health care insurance, your's sounds good! Unfortunately my wife is scheduled for another expensive procedure (probable $50k+) but this time we may have a little more out of pocket. 

So true. I'm a pretty decent saver but I'd be bankrupt by the end of the year even with the no-insurance, cash payments if it wasn't for my plan's coverage.

best wishes with your wife's procedure! Hopefully the financial dent isn't too bad...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Two points: there is no federal law making having health insurance mandatory. The SCOTUS went over that fine point already. For those that do not want insurance, a fine is paid in taxes. However with the new administration, that is going away, meaning pretty much it's a choice like it always was anyway.

However, I find it generally the responsible thing for a USC bringing their fiancé or spouse into this country to do everything they can to add them or obtain for them some sort of insurance. It's imo one of the most important types of support, of which the USC agrees to do as sponsor. It's very expensive, but for now, there's not a lot to be done about that. For new couples not wanting a pregnancy, for couples wanting a pregnancy, and for those that have any sort of health condition or daily/monthly medication it is essential. Of course there many healthy persons out there that feel they don't need insurance, wait until the emergency happens... and watch the bills bankrupt you. But I do sympathize, the high cost of insurance does not make it affordable for many.

Secondly: There is no way a K1 who needs to file AOS should be anywhere near the border of Mexico. There's enough big warning threads about that.

You are correct. I know many family members who have got medical services South of our boarder without any problems...but I think they overlooked the fact that she doesn't even have her green card yet, they may not let her back over the border, but kinda doubtful (where would she go?). 

6 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

You got this wrong.

There is a federal law that makes having health insurance mandatory - the ACA (aka Obamacare).

The US Supreme Court ruled in favor of Obamacare.  Chief Justice Roberts wrote the opinion.

Trump has already done away with the penalty for not having healthcare insurance.

Obamacare is still good law.  Now, there is just no penalty for not having insurance.

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don’t know if this is an option for you as you may prefer the pill but I made an appointment with my doctor and got the IUD. When we want another baby I will have it taken out and by then I will have had loads of time to have found a doctor in the US (I’m currently in Canada about to interview for my K1). Much easier than remembering the pill and solves the problem of refills/staying with the same brand, etc. But of course you would have to be okay with making the switch. Just a suggestion. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.