csoul

NEW FEES!! Proposed by USCIS from June 2007!!

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Rob and Geneva,

Can't change the fee until after November? No, that's not what the expiration date means. Notd that the fee is not a part of the form - the form and the fee to process it are two separate items.

If a form fee is changed before USCIS is ready to update the form and it's attached instructions the new fee will be mentioned on the forms index page and on the form introdcution page of the USCIS web site. One should always check those pages for the latest info about a form.

Yodrak

I've just taken a look at the I-130 form. In the PDF http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130.pdf at the bottom of page 3 it says:
11. What Is the Fee?

You must pay $190.00 to file this form. The fee will not berefunded, whether the petition is approved or not. Do notmail cash. All checks or money orders, whether U.S. orforeign, must be payable in U.S. currency at a financialinstitution in the United States. When a check is drawn onthe account of a person other than yourself, write your nameon the face of the check. If the check is not honored, USCISwill charge you $30.00.

and as this form says it "Expires 11/30/07" does this mean that they can't change the fee after November?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yodrak, thanks for your comments. I guess that USCIS can do pretty much what they want with the fees. I was just pointing out that we may have a way to claim that we didn't know about the fee increase as we was just following the instructions that came with the form.

Can I also throw this at you guys for your opinions?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is proposing a fee structure for the fiscal year 2008/2009 biennial period that is based on a new cost model, and proposed both to improve service delivery and enhance the security and integrity of the immigration system.

I found that quote from http://www.uscis.gov/21stCenturyService the link to "Fact Sheet: USCIS Fee Adjustments (46KB PDF)"

To me that quote indicates the new fees wont take effect until 2008/2009.

But another document from that same page, "Fact Sheet: Building an Immigration Service for the 21st Century (41KB PDF)", says:

The revenue from a new fee structure, if implemented in full this summer, will also:

I wish they would just come out and tell us for sure when the new fees will come into effect. (But knowing how government agencies work I doubt we'll get to find out until they start charging the new fees.)

Rob

-------------------------

met online Dec 19 2004

met in person Dec 24 2004

met her family in states Jun 5 2005

moved in together Jun 2005

officially engaged April 17 2007

married at Lazaats June 15 2007

sent off I-130 June 30 2007

recieved I-130 back (signed in wrong place) 2 July 2007

sent off I-130 July 4 2007 (again) signed this time

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Yodrak, thanks for your comments. I guess that USCIS can do pretty much what they want with the fees. I was just pointing out that we may have a way to claim that we didn't know about the fee increase as we was just following the instructions that came with the form.

Can I also throw this at you guys for your opinions?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is proposing a fee structure for the fiscal year 2008/2009 biennial period that is based on a new cost model, and proposed both to improve service delivery and enhance the security and integrity of the immigration system.

I found that quote from http://www.uscis.gov/21stCenturyService the link to "Fact Sheet: USCIS Fee Adjustments (46KB PDF)"

To me that quote indicates the new fees wont take effect until 2008/2009.

But another document from that same page, "Fact Sheet: Building an Immigration Service for the 21st Century (41KB PDF)", says:

The revenue from a new fee structure, if implemented in full this summer, will also:

I wish they would just come out and tell us for sure when the new fees will come into effect. (But knowing how government agencies work I doubt we'll get to find out until they start charging the new fees.)

Rob

2008 fiscal year begins October 1, 2007.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This is incorrect...

These are the facts..

1) There is a proposed rule that proposed increases in the fees for filing pretty much all petitions..

2) The final rule can not be published until at least 60 days have passed from the publishing of the proposed rule..

3) The fee increases will not come into effect until 30 days after the final rule has been published in the Federal Register.

4) The fee increases in the Final Rule can be the same, more, or less than what was proposed in the Proposed Rule.

5) As of this date, May 7, 2007, the Final Rule has not been published. SInce there is less than 30 days until June 1, the new fees will not come into effect on June 1.. It will not come into effect until 30 days after the publishing of the Final Rule.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
This is incorrect...

These are the facts..

1) There is a proposed rule that proposed increases in the fees for filing pretty much all petitions..

2) The final rule can not be published until at least 60 days have passed from the publishing of the proposed rule..

3) The fee increases will not come into effect until 30 days after the final rule has been published in the Federal Register.

4) The fee increases in the Final Rule can be the same, more, or less than what was proposed in the Proposed Rule.

5) As of this date, May 7, 2007, the Final Rule has not been published. SInce there is less than 30 days until June 1, the new fees will not come into effect on June 1.. It will not come into effect until 30 days after the publishing of the Final Rule.

Thank you. I was trying to think of a clear way of expressing this and you nailed it.

Believe it or not the fees going up are a good thing.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You do realize these fees are all optional. People always have the choice of not paying them, and instead, going back to their country of origin, if they think that is the "better deal".

I wish all taxes worked this way. There are a LOT of things I would choose not to fund, and in exchange, not use.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

"and instead, going back to their country of origin, if they think that is the "better deal".

How can you say something like that? We are the ones trying to live in the country in a legal way, and the goverments actually punishes us with increasing the fees?

Not every one can afford those fees, and then they might have to go get to their countries, maybe without their loved ones, that's what you call a better deal?

Well, I feel very sorry for the ones, who have to pay the new fees, and hopefully they won't come in June, so that some of you can still make it... I just sent my papers a few days ago, and they already pulled my check (and I still did the old fees). So, I'm very glad...

Timeline:

04/19/06 - filed for K-1

01/10/07 - finally interview in Frankfurt

01/26/07 - entered the States, reunion with Miguel

03/30/07 - Wedding Day

04/20/07 - sent AOS

05/31/07 - 1st infopass

07/23/07 - 2nd infopass

08/03/07 - 3rd infopass,

10/22/07 - interview - greencard approved!

11/03/07 - had greencard in mail!!

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
"and instead, going back to their country of origin, if they think that is the "better deal". How can you say something like that?
Quite easily.
goverments actually punishes us with increasing the fees?
See, the basic problem here is attitude. It is NOT punishment. It is a fee for services rendered.
Not every one can afford those fees
Sponsors are required to show financial responsibility, and to meet or exceed the poverty line. If you can meet this requirement, then you should be able to afford the fees, if no other way than by working harder and doing without luxuries such as cell phones, cable TV, TV sets, multiple cars, and whatever. People need to live within their means. Barring that, get a credit card and take out a cash advance.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

thats totally ###### up!! :angry:

im so angry about the whole raising of fees!

and everyone that thinks, that raising the fees is good, probably doesnt have to pay these fees anymore!!!! if you would have to you would be pissed too!so dont blame everybody that thinks its wrong for being aggrevated!

they just do that because they want to get the most out of us! everybody filing for visas to go to the states and be with their loved ones is going the legal way! and then we get punished for doing something legal?!

right now, i really wish i would have did it the other way.........

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982 - 2008

K1 Timeline

01/13/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC

05/03/2007 Petition approved!!!

08/23/2007 INTERVIEW

09/12/2007 Frankfurt - JFK - Baltimore, MD

09//28/2007 applied for SSN

10/16/2007 CIVIL MARRIAGE

10/31/2007 SS Card finally arrived

AOS Timeline

11/13/2007 sent AOS package with AP and EAD

12/19/2007 biometrics in baltimore

01/09/2008 AOS transferred to CSC

01/12/2008 CEREMONY & RECEPTION

01/16/2008 EAD and AP in mail

02/14/2008 card production ordered, approved without interview

02/22/2008 GREEN CARD in mail

I751 Timeline

11/19/2009 sent I751 to VSC

11/21/2009 received at VSC

11/24/2009 check cashed

11/30/2009 received NOA dated 11/23/09

12/15/2009 early bio walk-in failed....

12/16/2009 request to reschedule sent

01/04/2010 biometrics in baltimore being rescheduled

01/20/2010 new biometrics

03/24/2010 card production ordered, approved without interview

03/29/2010 10 year GC in mail

Filed: Timeline
"and instead, going back to their country of origin, if they think that is the "better deal". How can you say something like that?
Quite easily.
goverments actually punishes us with increasing the fees?
See, the basic problem here is attitude. It is NOT punishment. It is a fee for services rendered.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

well looks at those advocating for the increase in fees, they have all gone thru the adjustment of status and got their greencard...anyways I believe no amount of money is too much as long as it's for the visa process and being with someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. The increase is too much but then I guess it will be a good thing if the increase will make the USCIS more efficient. That's my 2 cents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I would have paid 5x as much for a more efficient process....I'm not holding my breath that it will become more efficient.

Personally, I think if you can't afford the AOS fees, you can't afford to immigrate.

I totally concur, I would have paid the price if the process were more logical and less stressful.

As far as some of the other folks, lets take a worst case scenario.

There have been people waiting two years plus for AOS:

Initial AOS $325.00

Biometrics $ 70.00

EAD $170.00

AP $180.00

EAD (2nd) $170.00

AP(2nd) $180.00

Total $1095.00

Under the new fee $905.00, Which I would have gladly paid, had the new fees been in place

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.