12 posts in this topic

Hi all !!

I'm a little confused (as usual) about the so called "Appointment Letter"

The last communication I have had was the letter from the Immigrant Visa Branch from the London Embassy stating that they have received an approved petition in my name, along with my Case number, Preference Category, and no Priority Date...... WAS THAT MY APPOINTMENT LETTER??

If not, then how do I receive one please?

Basically, I have JUST now filled the DS-260 online, with the COMPLETED page (and email)

(So far I haven't paid anything at all as I think it is done after the interview?)

I guess all I have to do now is get:

1)- Obtain a police certificate (I came to the UK at age 18 (majority age) in 1988...will I need a French police check too?)

2)- Book a medical (do I need anything from my GP? My last vaccine was in France when I was a kid)

3)- Book the interview ( the Embassy says: "Please do not schedule an appointment unless you have received your appointment letter from the National Visa Center or, if your application is being processed by the IV Unit, you have been advised that your case file has been received in the Immigrant Visa Unit, London")<<<< My confusion

IS THAT ALL CORRECT?

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

:clock:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Applying for IR1 through DCF London.

===============================

12/22/2017 Form i-130 posted!

DELAY: CHRISTMAS

12/28/2017 Notice of Receipt

DELAY: NEW YEAR

03/14/2018 Request For Evidence

03/28/2018 USCIS received Docs

DELAY: EASTER

04/17/2018 Petition I-130 Approved!

DELAY: SPONSOR CHANGE

05/10/2018 DS-260 Completed

07/16/2018 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/18/2018 Visa is being printed

07/23/2018 all posted and in my hand!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Be sure to check out the required documents checklist on the London embassy's website: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required-documents/

1. On the website above, under "Police Certificates for other countries" it says the following:

Police certificates are required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.

So if the above applies to you, then you'll need your French police certificate.

2. Another link from the London embassy: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/medical-examination/ . From what I gather, you are free to book your own medical at the approved facility by calling them. Here's the relevant section:

You may schedule an appointment by telephoning 020 7486 7822 Monday to Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You must quote your case number (begins with the first three letters of the post – London is LND) when making your call. Appointments are scheduled on a first come, first served basis.

Note that it says on there that it takes 5 days for your results to reach the embassy, so you should schedule your medical at least 5 days before your appointment. You may want to take evidence of prior vaccinations, but in mine and others' experience, they probably won't accept it. Getting your list of vaccinations from your GP might be worth while though.

3. Yes, for DCFers the letter your received containing your case number is your appointment letter. You are free to schedule your appointment as long as you have your case number. For reference, here is my own DCF "appointment letter" from the Juarez embassy: https://i.imgur.com/oEAec0x.png

Edited by Jorge V

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

I just read through the link for the medical some more and it says that your vaccinations records are required. Be sure to read fully, and check out the other links on that site. Ultimately the embassy website and any correspondence you receive from them or the USCIS supersedes anything else.  

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

Knightsbridge will want to see your police certificates, so get that sorted pronto. (They might be ok if you just have the UK one, so technically you might be able to get that then do your medical, however you'll need the French one for the interview and you don't want to have a long gap between medical and interview - I've no idea how long getting the French one will be. Best to make that a priority.) 

See what vaccination records you have. Short version is you'll need proof of two MMR jabs and TDaP. Have you had chickenpox? If you don't have any vaccine proof but know you've had them, you can choose to get blood titres done to check for immunity or just get the shot again. With the MMR: if you're going to need to get that, then you either need two a month or more apart OR get just one at the medical or less than one month before the medical. (That is, if you paid Boots to get an MMR more than a month before the medical, then they will require you to pay for a second MMR at the medical.)

14 hours ago, Jorge V said:

1. you'll need your French police certificate.

2. From what I gather, you are free to book your own medical at the approved facility by calling them.

3. Yes, for DCFers the letter your received containing your case number is your appointment letter.

Thank you so much Jorge V~ :D

I've just made a request for the French police certificate online.

That's wonderful Jorge!!!!!!! I have my letter then!! What such good news!!!!!

I so appreciate your help each time! Thank you!

14 hours ago, JoannaV said:

Knightsbridge will want to see your police certificates, so get that sorted pronto

I've no idea how long getting the French one will be. Best to make that a priority.

Short version is you'll need proof of two MMR jabs and TDaP.

you can choose to get blood titres done to check for immunity or just get the shot again.

With the MMR: if you're going to need to get that, then you either

- need two a month or more apart

- OR get just one at the medical

- or less than one month before the medical.

(That is, if you paid Boots to get an MMR more than a month before the medical)

Thank you JoannaV!!

I'll get the police certificate pronto!

The French certificate online is so simple strangely .... no ID request and no fee!!!

It'll be with me in a few days (I'm worried about it because I skipped military circumscription back in 87... )

Thank you so much for such insight JoannaV, I never knew all that.

1 thing though please?

Would there be a reason why I would need to have 2 MMR when I can just have the 1 at the medical please?

Which would be best out of the 3 options?

Thank you so much for helping me JoannaV, I really appreciate! 

:rolleyes:

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

7 hours ago, Sylv said:

1 thing though please?

Would there be a reason why I would need to have 2 MMR when I can just have the 1 at the medical please?

Which would be best out of the 3 options?

Really no reason. I didn't structure my answer in the best possible way haha.
So you can just have one MMR at the medical, that's fine. (In that case, they won't check the box for the MMR being complete but instead say there's been insufficient time for you to complete the course - can't remember the exact wording. But that's all you need for the visa, regardless of how much time passes between the medical and the interview.)
If it is cheaper for you to receive it elsewhere before the medical, and you want to save money, then you can do that. But then you have to make sure you have it less than one month before your medical, so they don't get you to pay for a second one at the medical. (Your GP might give it to you if you haven't had it before. £50 at Knightsbridge, £45 at Boots maybe (so not much different) but NHS might be free.)

You'll need a print-out of your medical records summary from your GP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 5/10/2018 at 7:14 PM, Sylv said:

I'm a little confused (as usual) about the so called "Appointment Letter"

The last communication I have had was the letter from the Immigrant Visa Branch from the London Embassy stating that they have received an approved petition in my name, along with my Case number, Preference Category, and no Priority Date...... WAS THAT MY APPOINTMENT LETTER??

If not, then how do I receive one please?

Sylv, you will not get an appointment letter because you are DCF. The other spouse visas do a lot of processing (sending documents) at NVC and when done, NVC picks their appointment and sends them a letter with the date/ time of interview.  You skip NVC completely. You will be more like a K1, making your medical appointment and picking your own interview date. All your documentation goes to the interview with you (police certificates, marriage certificate,  birth certificate,etc).

Your step by step instructions are found on the embassy website and they should have provided a link in the letter of instruction they mailed you. Scroll down to find Step 1, Step 2......

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/how-to-apply-2/

After reading the process steps be sure and click the links at the top numbered 6-10 for information on the medical, documents, etc.

21 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Sylv, you will not get an appointment letter because you are DCF. The other spouse visas do a lot of processing (sending documents) at NVC and when done, NVC picks their appointment and sends them a letter with the date/ time of interview.  You skip NVC completely. You will be more like a K1, making your medical appointment and picking your own interview date. All your documentation goes to the interview with you (police certificates, marriage certificate,  birth certificate,etc).

Your step by step instructions are found on the embassy website and they should have provided a link in the letter of instruction they mailed you. Scroll down to find Step 1, Step 2......

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/how-to-apply-2/

After reading the process steps be sure and click the links at the top numbered 6-10 for information on the medical, documents, etc.

Thank you so much Wuozopo!

This is actually a good post to reference to!

Thank you again!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

23 hours ago, JoannaV said:

So you can just have one MMR at the medical, that's fine. (In that case, they won't check the box for the MMR being complete but instead say there's been insufficient time for you to complete the course - can't remember the exact wording. But that's all you need for the visa, regardless of how much time passes between the medical and the interview.)
If it is cheaper for you to receive it elsewhere before the medical, and you want to save money, then you can do that. But then you have to make sure you have it less than one month before your medical, so they don't get you to pay for a second one at the medical. (Your GP might give it to you if you haven't had it before. £50 at Knightsbridge, £45 at Boots maybe (so not much different) but NHS might be free.)

You'll need a print-out of your medical records summary from your GP.

Thank you very much for the clarification JoannaV!

I think I'll leave it to knightsbridge to do that..... Though I'm surprised Boots do this sort of thing too!

What about the Tdap?

DO I have to have it done at my GP or will Knightsbridge do that too please?

Thank you so much again!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Timeline
2 hours ago, Sylv said:

Thank you very much for the clarification JoannaV!

I think I'll leave it to knightsbridge to do that..... Though I'm surprised Boots do this sort of thing too!

What about the Tdap?

DO I have to have it done at my GP or will Knightsbridge do that too please?

Thank you so much again!

You can get your shots anywhere you choose  and show the documentation to Knightsbridge. 

Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella.  It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
  • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK . A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. They take your word for it at the visa medical exam. They will also waive the shot in the UK for "not routinely available".
  • Influenza - Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31.  If your medical is not during flu season, you don't need it.

20 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

You can get your shots anywhere you choose  and show the documentation to Knightsbridge. 

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella.  It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.

Thank you so much once more Wuozopo, I am indebted to you and I know others will be too.

In your personal opinion, personal, since I don't mind paying the fee to get things as right as they can be gotten, personally, as a person with experience, what would you estimate to be best, to have the MMR done at Knightsbridge or before the medical please Wuozopo?

Finally, CAN the Knightsbridge office ALSO do the Tdap, or can it ONLY be done elsewhere please?

This is so exciting to feel so close to the visa!!!!!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for all your time, thoughtfulness, and care in all your answers!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Timeline
3 hours ago, Sylv said:

Thank you so much once more Wuozopo, I am indebted to you and I know others will be too.

In your personal opinion, personal, since I don't mind paying the fee to get things as right as they can be gotten, personally, as a person with experience, what would you estimate to be best, to have the MMR done at Knightsbridge or before the medical please Wuozopo?

Finally, CAN the Knightsbridge office ALSO do the Tdap, or can it ONLY be done elsewhere please?

This is so exciting to feel so close to the visa!!!!!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for all your time, thoughtfulness, and care in all your answers!

The Knightsbridge offerings and prices are on their website http://www.visamedicals.co.uk/us-price.htm

Some GP offices give free. Mine did. I just got them from the nurse,  lined up with all the tots. I did not have a doctor appointment. It's up to you what you find most convenient at a price you are willing to pay. I think Sainsbury's has shot clinics too. Maybe some Tescos. I haven't lived there in a while. It doesn't have to be the GP or Boots.

Spouse visas are a bit different than fiancés because you must have every required shot or a waiver marked prior to your interview. So Knightsbridge offer anything needed to fix you up. That's because you get a greencard upon arrival.  With a fiancé, they apply for a greencard after the marriage in the states. They can interview with zero shots and get them later in the US before they apply for their greencard. The drawback is they will pay another approved doctor in the US to fill out their USCIS immunization forms, whereas if they got everything before or on the day of their visa medical, that would count as the official form to use for their greencard application. 

Also, once done at Knightsbridge medical, you don't ever have to get any more jabs for immigration purposes. The shots waived are waived forever. For example a pregnant woman could have MMR waived. She never has to go back and get it after delivery.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.