7 posts in this topic

Please help. My mom is from the Philippines. I filed my moms petition and it just approved at USCIS. And I assumed she’s not married because I never grew up with any father or step father. So I when I filled up the papers I entered 0 marriage (never been married). And when im

gathering papers I told her to get Certificate of No marriage and other papers. And she showed me the paper and she’s actually married. I just found out. Now I don’t know what to do to correct all this and I just received her approved I-130 last week. 

I'm no expert in this but..  this is more than simple mistake like misspelling something. Worst case scenario they can give you a misrep and ban your mother from entering USA. 

Small mistakes can usually be fixed during the interview but in this case I'd be trying to contact USCIS. Maybe make inofpass appointment at your local office. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

Again, not an expert and definitely not a legal professional, but I agree with the previous poster. This will be considered a serious omission that should be corrected. Try the Infopass way or seek advice from an immigration lawyer on how to explain this omission. Perhaps you might be asked to resubmit a new application and new fee (assuming that is acceptable to USCIS for this correction). But best to correct it now that you know - to avoid future problems.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, PatRhea said:

Please help. My mom is from the Philippines. I filed my moms petition and it just approved at USCIS. And I assumed she’s not married because I never grew up with any father or step father. So I when I filled up the papers I entered 0 marriage (never been married). And when im

gathering papers I told her to get Certificate of No marriage and other papers. And she showed me the paper and she’s actually married. I just found out. Now I don’t know what to do to correct all this and I just received her approved I-130 last week. 

Wait until the case is transferred to NVC. Your mom has the chance to correct her civil status on the DS260 and at the embassy interview. 

Next time never assume. You should’ve asked her first. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When it’s time to submit the civil docs, provide PSA copy of her marriage certificate and NBI clearance for her maiden name with AKA for her married name (even if she never used her married name). A letter of explanation from you will also help clarify the “mistake”. 

Edited by apple21

2 hours ago, apple21 said:

When it’s time to submit the civil docs, provide PSA copy of her marriage certificate and NBI clearance for her maiden name with AKA for her married name (even if she never used her married name). A letter of explanation from you will also help clarify the “mistake”. 

Thank you very much for the help 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.