9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Does anyone know if my wife withdrawals her petition of the I485, does the whole application get denied automatically or till the interview date? I don't want the I-485 application to be denied but instead be withdrawn/cancelled.

Thank you

02/08/2017- I-129F packet received

02/10/2017 -NOA1

02/18/2017 - NOA1 Letter 

Waiting for NOA2

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mykel said:

I believe voluntary withdrawal does not constitute a formal denial 

Yes I know that, but I'm main petitioner and my wife is the main sponsor of the I-485 I thought. If my wife withdraws, will the application be withdrawn or actually be denied because she cannot withdrawn for me, only her sponsorship? 

02/10/2017 -NOA1

02/18/2017 - NOA1 Letter 

Waiting for NOA2

1 minute ago, mkr1990 said:

Yes I know that, but I'm main petitioner and my wife is the main sponsor of the I-485 I thought. If my wife withdraws, will the application be withdrawn or actually be denied because she cannot withdrawn for me, only her sponsorship? 

You came on a K1 visa so you can only adjust status successfully through the petitioner, your wife. So once she withdraws her petition your legal path for a Greencard at this point is moot. You would have to return back to your home country. I think this answers your question. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

You came on a K1 visa so you can only adjust status successfully through the petitioner, your wife. So once she withdraws her petition your legal path for a Greencard at this point is moot. You would have to return back to your home country. I think this answers your question. 

Yes, I am already back in my home country. I just want to properly withdraw the application instead of it being denied for future consequences. My question is, does it get denied now when my wife withdraws? I just want to have it withdrawn without it being denied/approved. 

Edited by mkr1990

02/10/2017 -NOA1

02/18/2017 - NOA1 Letter 

Waiting for NOA2

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 minutes ago, mkr1990 said:

You aren’t the petitioner, your wife is. If she withdraws the application, that’s it. She may be your sponsor, but the whole application is dependent on the petitioner not the sponsor 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mykel said:

You aren’t the petitioner, your wife is. If she withdraws the application, that’s it. She may be your sponsor, but the whole application is dependent on the petitioner not the sponsor 

Actually, from what I see, he is the applicant for the I-485 and he can withdraw without denial on his own.  The USC does not file the I-485 for the foreign spouse.

24 minutes ago, mkr1990 said:

Yes, I am already back in my home country. I just want to properly withdraw the application instead of it being denied for future consequences. My question is, does it get denied now when my wife withdraws? I just want to have it withdrawn without it being denied/approved. 

Oh I see. If I were you I would contact USCIS and request the withdrawal of your application. Try to call them and talk to a tier 2 officer. If you withdraw I believe it is not a denial. 

If you left the US without AP your application has been automatically denied because you abandoned it, but I'm guessing you have already received the AP?!

Whether the beneficiary withdraws the I-485 or the sponsor withdraws the I-864 is not important. In either case, the I-485 will be closed.

If you want your I-485 application withdrawn, then I highly suggest contacting USCIS to withdraw it and not rely on actions from anybody else.

In either case, if you apply for any other US immigration benefit in the future, they will see the past AOS application and may or may not ask about it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.