BRENTWOOD

Guilt of Moving from family

18 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Nevad@ said:

I almost feel like a weirdo for not having any guilt for planning (still several months to go) to move. My philosophy is-  we are all supposed to move out of our parents house one day and have our own families. It is natural, it is what almost everyone goes through, and it is what our parents have gone through as well. Maybe it is just me being super independent, but... no guilt. Does not mean I don't love my family or that i'm not close with them, i just know it is my life, and I do what I feel is right for me. 

Wow Nevad I am very jealous of your mentality. I feel like you have so much to teach me!!!!! You make very fair points though. I think I was pretty strong about everything until I had to start cutting my ties with Canada and then it really started to hit home. When you have to check boxes saying that you are leaving your country behind it just got into my head a little bit. Of course you love your family, everyone deals with these situations differently I just wish I could look at it with more clarity such as you are. You're right we do only have one life and there will be too much regret if we don't make the hard decisions to lead us where we want to be.

9 hours ago, BRENTWOOD said:

Wow Nevad I am very jealous of your mentality. I feel like you have so much to teach me!!!!! You make very fair points though. I think I was pretty strong about everything until I had to start cutting my ties with Canada and then it really started to hit home. When you have to check boxes saying that you are leaving your country behind it just got into my head a little bit. Of course you love your family, everyone deals with these situations differently I just wish I could look at it with more clarity such as you are. You're right we do only have one life and there will be too much regret if we don't make the hard decisions to lead us where we want to be.

He is still several months out when he starts to say his goodbyes and last work day, last lime with friends, then the ones he doesn't get to meet up with that one last time etc. Planning is easy, but the closer you get to the move, the more you feel it, in my opinion. 

On 12-4-2018 at 4:05 AM, Lemonslice said:

OP is from Canada - for many Canadians, it is actually the opposite, they have are going to have to get used to a lower quality of life in the USA.

Recognizable. And for me its the same as Lemonslice says, there is no upgrade in quality of life. I move for love, and that’s it. I have 3,5 more weeks before I move and are bouncing all over in “my rollercoasterride”

Very exited to finally be together with my husband and there is sadness about moving away from all my loved people; family, friends, work.....especially my mom. Not easy to deal with but I read some good posts here. And if others before me did it I can find my way too.

I keep thinking I am one click away for phone or videochat and one plane flight too.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.