AnythingButCommon

Marriage based AOS interview

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, azblk said:

She asked what happened and why you got divorce.  I said that it didn't work out, we had conflicts and she wanted divorce. IO then asked me about how long did you lived together. We lived together for 5-6 months and then i had to moved to different state as got the job there. It was mutual decision and my ex wife was with me in that decision. IO replied that you only leave for 5 months which is not a marriage. IO started getting into dip on the topic. I explained OI that we were dating for over two years and when i moved to different state, i didn't had choice as it was for my job. IO replied that looks like it's fraud and i have to review your previous evidence. IO asked me that did you had interview when you applied for GC conditional waiver. I replied no and OI replied right away that where they screwed up at that time. IO said that you should be received interview and looks like your application should be canceled at that time. IO said that she will not make AOS decision today as she need to request my previous file and need to review it.

There are two issues I can see here based on what you wrote above:

1) You never completed the ROC from your first marriage....why not?  If you never did the first ROC, then yes, the IO is right in that the GC status was basically abandoned which is why she needs to review your previous filing with the first wife and find out what happened there.

2) When you moved out from the marital home 5 months after getting married, did you live with your first wife again at any time before filing for divorce?  If you never did, and the two of you just divorced right after you moved out, yes it does look fishy in their eyes.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

4 hours ago, Going through said:

1) You never completed the ROC from your first marriage....why not?  If you never did the first ROC, then yes, the IO is right in that the GC status was basically abandoned which is why she needs to review your previous filing with the first wife and find out what happened there.

I didn’t take what he wrote as this, it seemed like for ROC he just didn’t get an interview, I didn’t and several in my month who were divorced didn’t either. Seems like the IO thought all divorcees should get a ROC interview and is questioning why he didn’t not that the ROC was incomplete. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The question is, when filing for ROC, did he file for a waiver for having been divorced from a bona fide marriage? Or did he just say he's filing based on the 2 year rule?

The last few posters concentrating on ROC.. take a moment to go thru OPs previous posts circa 2011. He comes across as quite concerned around the AOS/ROC process, including several back to back to back posts about minor status changes; and over the moon once the green card was on the way. The divorce followed soon after. It may very well all be nothing being a bonafide marriage, or something was fishy back then. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
38 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

The last few posters concentrating on ROC.. take a moment to go thru OPs previous posts circa 2011. He comes across as quite concerned around the AOS/ROC process, including several back to back to back posts about minor status changes; and over the moon once the green card was on the way. The divorce followed soon after. It may very well all be nothing being a bonafide marriage, or something was fishy back then. 

My thinking too. In one of the posts OP states he got his GC in October 2011, and moved away the same month. That does look suspicious from the surface.

OP: when you filed for ROC, did you file for a waiver based on bone fide marriage or did you simply state you're filing based on the 2 year rule? If the latter, than I can see USCIS having grounds to revoke citizenship and issue deportation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Because you received permanent residence your previous and current marriage will likely receive extra scrutiny but if all are bonafide you will be ok.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 3/17/2018 at 4:58 AM, Going through said:

2) When you moved out from the marital home 5 months after getting married, did you live with your first wife again at any time before filing for divorce?  If you never did, and the two of you just divorced right after you moved out, yes it does look fishy in their eyes.

1)  I did completed ROC. I filed filed I-751 but didn't received interview. I directly received 10 year green card. Someone mentioned here that not everyone gets interview so i don't think i did anything wrong at that time.

2) I moved to different state before i received my first green card. Our first interview was when we were not leaving together. We filed divorce after a year from the date of i moved out. She was the one initiating the divorce. I don't mind IO questioning the circumstances.  People get divorce for so many reason so i think it's not right assume that someone moved to different state after x month so marriage is not bona fide. 

On 3/17/2018 at 1:19 PM, CheeseMonstah said:

The question is, when filing for ROC, did he file for a waiver for having been divorced from a bona fide marriage? Or did he just say he's filing based on the 2 year rule?

I filed I-751 and didn't received interview call.

22 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

The last few posters concentrating on ROC.. take a moment to go thru OPs previous posts circa 2011. He comes across as quite concerned around the AOS/ROC process, including several back to back to back posts about minor status changes; and over the moon once the green card was on the way. The

divorce followed soon after. It may very well all be nothing being a bonafide marriage, or something was fishy back then. 

Divorce filed after 9 months of initial green card. 

21 hours ago, CheeseMonstah said:

My thinking too. In one of the posts OP states he got his GC in October 2011, and moved away the same month. That does look suspicious from the surface.

OP: when you filed for ROC, did you file for a waiver based on bone fide marriage or did you simply state you're filing based on the 2 year rule? If the latter, than I can see USCIS having grounds to revoke citizenship and issue deportation.

I moved to different state prior to receiving my first green card. 

Timeline
On 3/17/2018 at 12:55 AM, azblk said:

USCIS officers have been known to try and shake up couples to unsettle them if they suspect something is awry. From what the OP has said the IO seemed to base his suspicions on the length the marriage lasted after green card. There is NO required time to stay in a marriage just that the marriage be valid and ongoing at the time of approval. Based on what the OP said there is nothing to worry about.

I agree. It's looks like that but i am just scared. I had my citizenship interview last year and i was not asked anything about my previous marriage at that time where as i was expecting that they might ask.

This time, It was about AOS for my wife. I didn't expected at all that they would ask me about my previous marriage and IO questioned me on that for about 30 minutes. I didn't even remember so many dates, etc. at that time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
47 minutes ago, AnythingButCommon said:

I agree. It's looks like that but i am just scared. I had my citizenship interview last year and i was not asked anything about my previous marriage at that time where as i was expecting that they might ask.

This time, It was about AOS for my wife. I didn't expected at all that they would ask me about my previous marriage and IO questioned me on that for about 30 minutes. I didn't even remember so many dates, etc. at that time.

Like  I said earlier the bar for denaturalization is extremely high and unless there is compelling evidence of fraud or a mistake made at i-1485 or n400 steps you have nothing to worry about. You would be well served to consult an attorney for your sanity and peace of mind but imo I think this is much ado about nothing.

Timeline
1 hour ago, AnythingButCommon said:

I filed I-751 and didn't received interview call.

Divorce filed after 9 months of initial green card. 

Ok, but when you file for ROC, you have to select a box, either that you're applying to remove conditions based on your 2 year marriage OR that you are asking for a waiver based on a bone fide marriage that ended before two years. Which box did you select?

Timeline
14 minutes ago, CheeseMonstah said:

Ok, but when you file for ROC, you have to select a box, either that you're applying to remove conditions based on your 2 year marriage OR that you are asking for a waiver based on a bone fide marriage that ended before two years. Which box did you select?

I selected "I or my parents entered marriage in good faith, but the marriage was terminated through divorce or annulment". It's PArt 2 1.d in form I-751.

Edited by AnythingButCommon

Timeline
12 minutes ago, CheeseMonstah said:

In fact, it's Part 3 of the I751 you filed. Did you select 1.a or 1.d?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, CheeseMonstah said:

In fact, it's Part 3 of the I751 you filed. Did you select 1.a or 1.d?

When i filed ROC back in 2013, it was in part 2. I selected 1.d.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.