herestoUS

Canadian Mom visiting USA

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So my mom is coming for an extended stay of about 3 months here in the USA as my wife and I recently had a kid! She is not planning on buying the return flight right now. Will my mom likely be questioned when crossing?
Her ties to Canada are fairly limited as she is retired. She does rent a house, and have savings based in Canada. I'm not sure what else she could reference as something that would "tie" her back to Canada. Any ideas?

She should get a return ticket. It is very possible she will be asked about it. She might also be asked if she's not coming to US in order to babysit or help with the baby. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline

I'm a dual Canadian/American citizen.  Although I do not need a return ticket to the Untied States (as I can legally stay in Canada for any amount of time I want) I have been questioned by the airlines to provide proof of a return ticket to America.  Not even the CBP agents, the airline wants to see a return ticket. 

Why not book one and change it if you need to?

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I agree, this will be something to think about (buying return ticket)- the reason she didn't want to buy one is that the depart date might be variable. I think she has already purchased the tickets, I'm not sure if it is the type where you can change stuff but worth asking her.
Also an interesting thought that she might be questioned on coming to "work" in the US!

Edited by herestoUS

• 2 weeks later...

When asked about the purpose of her visit she should be sure to say she is visiting.  If they ask her directly she is not looking after, caring for, helping with or babysitting her grandchild, she is just visiting. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it were I..I would say visiting my son who is a brand new father and seeing my new grandchild......nothing wrong with that.  I dont believe by the books a Cdn needs a return ticket, but it sure does look better and builds a stronger case that 1 is returning.  In her favor, I'm sure POE officers are used to older Cdns heading to the USA as many spend the winters in the warmer climates

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Buy a return ticket 4 months out (if she's staying for roughly 3 months) as this avoids overstay on visitor visa. Get it refundable, which is usually more expensive, but much much easier to change on the fly so you're not paying twice for a return flight.

When being questioned, if she admits that she's going to help care for a baby or give care to the mother, etc, that could be seen as work and she may get denied entry without work permit. It's silly, but often the case.

Not suggesting she lies either, but she should be honest that she's not going there to be employed as a care giver and that it's for vacation / visiting.

Edited by Peot

• 2 weeks later...

She's visiting and is a new grandma.  Just because she is retired and rents has no baring on visiting.  Many snow birds are in the same situation.  If she has no past incidences with border crossings there should be nothing to worry about.  I flew stateside many times with a one way ticket.  CBP was fine with that every time, flying or driving.  

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.