Stefano

B2 visa and foreign company

11 posts in this topic

There isn’t a law against it, to my knowledge, since you’re not “taking away a job from a US person.” If you’re doing some remote work (telecommuting) while on holiday I think it’s technically legal.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

From a purely immigration perspective this may be OK as long as the work you are doing is not with US clients and could be done by a US Citizen.  However, assuming the company in question is a multinational company with interests or subsidiaries in the USA then your work from within the USA (if a significant amount of time) could result in tax implications for that company and it would be best to consult with your companies HR department before doing a significant amount of work for them.   Also, bear in mind that the purpose of a tourist visa is to VISIT the USA and as such if you spend a significant portion of your stay in fact working then it may raise some red flags on future entries to the USA. 

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, nightingalejules said:

There isn’t a law against it, to my knowledge, since you’re not “taking away a job from a US person.” If you’re doing some remote work (telecommuting) while on holiday I think it’s technically legal.

Wrong.

2 hours ago, JE57 said:

From a purely immigration perspective this may be OK as long as the work you are doing is not with US clients and could be done by a US Citizen.  However, assuming the company in question is a multinational company with interests or subsidiaries in the USA then your work from within the USA (if a significant amount of time) could result in tax implications for that company and it would be best to consult with your companies HR department before doing a significant amount of work for them.   Also, bear in mind that the purpose of a tourist visa is to VISIT the USA and as such if you spend a significant portion of your stay in fact working then it may raise some red flags on future entries to the USA. 

Wrong.

No, you cannot work while on a B2 visa even remotely for a foreign company..

6 hours ago, Stefano said:

Hi all,

I would like to know if I am allowed to stay in the US with a B2 tourist visa, while working (in remote) for a foreign company.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Cordially,

Stefano

What do you mean by “stay”? If you are visiting for tourism or business and do a bit of work for your home country company while there, that’s fine. If you are de facto living in the US, no matter how you are funding it, that’s not allowed.

plus, az2014 is right here :

2 hours ago, az2014 said:

No, you cannot work while on a B2 visa even remotely for a foreign company..

...as a friend of mine found out the hard way being in the US on a status that did not allow work, thinking working and getting paid outside the US was ok. It wasn’t.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Potential tax issues as well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you all for the answers.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems this Visa is quite useless: if say you are working (for a company of your country, not connected with the Us) you are wrong. But also if you are unemployed: are you working here under the table ? Because they can think that none at your age, without a job, can live properly abroad for 3-5 months.

All in all, this  reminds me a phrase from a Morgan Spurlock' s program: "... Us looks like a private club..."

So it should be better if I go on holiday elsewhere  :).

Regards,

Stefano

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Enjoy your holiday.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

53 minutes ago, Stefano said:

Thank you all for the answers.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems this Visa is quite useless: if say you are working (for a company of your country, not connected with the Us) you are wrong. But also if you are unemployed: are you working here under the table ? Because they can think that none at your age, without a job, can live properly abroad for 3-5 months.

All in all, this  reminds me a phrase from a Morgan Spurlock' s program: "... Us looks like a private club..."

So it should be better if I go on holiday elsewhere  :).

Regards,

Stefano

Maybe the visa is “useless” because you want to use it for something it’s not intended for. (Most visas in fact are useless if you want to do something other than what they are issued for.)

You are not supposed to be “living abroad” in the US on it, you are supoosed to be on holiday (or on a business trip)

and it seems “they” are correct in thinking “none at your age, without a job, can live properly abroad for 3-5 months.” judging by the fact that you apparently need to work remotely to sustain yourself for those 3-5 months.

I’m somewhat curious as to how you got your visa, did you tell the interviewing officer that you planned to spend 3-5 months in the US, and that you planned to support this “living” there by working remotely? Or are these hypothetical questions in advance of applying for a visa?

If you want to spend some time living in the US and funding yourself as you go, you should look into J visa options.

In fact, I should have apologised before for my awful English.

I have been on holiday in the Us with B2 visa for 3 and 5 months, sometimes with no problem at the Port of Entry, sometimes I had to go for a 2nd interview (don't know why....maybe because I don't wear burqa...).

I got my visa regularly, paying the fee and then having the interview at the local Embassy: thanks.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 28/02/2018 at 8:06 AM, Stefano said:

In fact, I should have apologised before for my awful English.

I have been on holiday in the Us with B2 visa for 3 and 5 months, sometimes with no problem at the Port of Entry, sometimes I had to go for a 2nd interview (don't know why....maybe because I don't wear burqa...).

I got my visa regularly, paying the fee and then having the interview at the local Embassy: thanks.

Not sure why you felt you had to include a bit of racism in that post

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.