JoeSchmoe2017

2018 San Francisco filers

572 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Update:

We transferred your application to another USCIS field office for review

Also my wait time decreased from 2 month to 21 days!!! Haha hopefully I will be in DC by my interview date.

N400

07/31/2018 - Filed in San Francisco

08/20/2018 - Biometrics

5/13/2019 - Change of address request - Washington DC

5/15/2019 - Interview Scheduled for 06/20/2019

5/15/2019 - sent out a request to reschedule the interview

5/23/2019 - interview rescheduled to 06/26/2019

6/13/2019 - interview rescheduled to 07/13/2019

7/13/2019 - interview. Approved the same day, online status changed.

08/27/2019 - oath ceremony scheduled @ Alexandria court (name change) for 09/26/2019

JandMA...........|03/16/15|03/17/18|03/22/18|03/22/18|04/09/18|--/--/--|03/12/19|04/19/19|05/15/19|San Francisco, CA

So the oath ceremony came and went and now the next phase of my life as a US citizen begins... As others have reported, the ceremony was very rewarding (apart from a totally cringe-worthy video clip from you-know-who..) I skipped the passport line at the end, which looked like it might take a long time, and will pop into the local USPS office tomorrow. 

Many thanks to all the contributors to this thread for advice and encouragement. I just wish that more of the 1,500 people who took the oath today in Oakland had joined it.

To those of you still waiting, your turn will come, even though the delays are getting longer and longer. (By the way, the head guy at SF USCIS actually apologized about this during his speech.)

Meanwhile, this is JandMA signing off...

Heres the summary of my citizenship interview held at 630 Sansome st, SF.

Took the Bart and got off at Embarcadero station. 10 min walk to the office.

Went up to the second floor and registered myself in. Got a packet with information about applying for a passport! Yes, before the interview was conducted. Haha! Did not open the packet for fear of counting my chickens.......

The interview started 15 min late. Not sure why.

The english test took 1 minute. I had to read one sentence and write one sentence that the interviewer read out.

The civics test took 2-3 minutes. I got asked the following 6 civics questions.

Who is in charge of the executive branch?

What movement tried to end racial discrimination?

What ocean is on the east coast of America?

Why does the flag have 50 stars?

What territory did the US buy from France in 1803?

Name 3 o the 13 original states? I started off by giving 3, then the interviewer went silent, so I began recited another few and the interviewer smiled and said I had passed the civics test.

The remaining 20 minutes or so were based on the application itself. I was specifically probed on the following

Proof of still being married as my application was based on marriage to a US citizen. I took that for granted and did not bring any current proof as I thought the info submitted at time of application was sufficient(bought a house with spouse and had 2 joint bank accounts). Anyway I managed to download the last bank statement from our joint account and he seemed satisfied with that.

Time away from US - I make frequent short visits and had them all written out. He had all trips on record and just verified the dates and purpose but did not inspect my passport.

I made one mistake on my form (question 22). I said 'yes' instead of 'no' and had to explain that and spent a few minutes discussing the error because I misunderstood the question.

At the end he said I had been approved for citizenship and that the oath ceremony will be in 2-3 months.

I got 2 emails from USCIS with the following messages.

We approved your application - Your final step to becoming a citizen is to attend your naturalization ceremony

We will mail you a letter when we schedule your naturalization ceremony. Estimated wait time 4 months! Estimated case completion 3 months (August 2019).

Not sure why the oath ceremony has been delayed for so long.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ashanu said:

Went up to the second floor and registered myself in. Got a packet with information about applying for a passport! Yes, before the interview was conducted. Haha! Did not open the packet for fear of counting my chickens.......

The english test took 1 minute. I had to read one sentence and write one sentence that the interviewer read out.

Name 3 o the 13 original states? I started off by giving 3, then the interviewer went silent, so I began recited another few and the interviewer smiled and said I had passed the civics test.

The remaining 20 minutes or so were based on the application itself. I was specifically probed on the following

Proof of still being married as my application was based on marriage to a US citizen. I took that for granted and did not bring any current proof as I thought the info submitted at time of application was sufficient(bought a house with spouse and had 2 joint bank accounts). Anyway I managed to download the last bank statement from our joint account and he seemed satisfied with that.

Time away from US - I make frequent short visits and had them all written out. He had all trips on record and just verified the dates and purpose but did not inspect my passport.

I made one mistake on my form (question 22). I said 'yes' instead of 'no' and had to explain that and spent a few minutes discussing the error because I misunderstood the question.

At the end he said I had been approved for citizenship and that the oath ceremony will be in 2-3 months.

We approved your application - Your final step to becoming a citizen is to attend your naturalization ceremony

We will mail you a letter when we schedule your naturalization ceremony. Estimated wait time 4 months! Estimated case completion 3 months (August 2019).

Congratulation !!! and it's kinda weird that ceremony took very long hope they send you letter with sooner dates!!

Did you had I-751 pending ? if yes did you mention it on your interview or the officer talked about it? my wife she will be traveling next couple month and i'm not sure if she will be required to come with incase if they ask for I-751 interview before the N400

(I-751 Still Pending :unsure:)

Aug 22, 2015 - GC Approval date.

May 20, 2017 - Application sent.

Jun 09, 2017 - Biometrics appointment notice received.

Jun 26, 2017 - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed.

May 05, 2018 - Notice received (USCIS has received your form and is currently processing your application..etc)

Applied for Naturalization based on 3-year Residency 

May 29, 2018 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

Jun 02, 2018 (Day 04) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

Jun 02, 2018 (Day 04) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

Jun 06, 2018 (Day 08) - Biometrics PDF posted online (appointment for 06/21/18)

3 hours ago, Ashanu said:

@AshanuPlease keep us posted on when your oath ceremony gets scheduled! I'm scheduled for an interview May 31st and knowing when your Oath Ceremony is scheduled will help me plan a little better. :)

4 hours ago, Ashanu said:

Don't worry - I got that too, and 2 days later the actual letter was in my folder saying the next month. 

11 hours ago, Ann2935 said:

Has anyone's wait time increased? I logged in today, and it's a month longer than before, 4 instead of 3 months. I filed in August, and completion time is estimated to be october

At least they are being more realistic. If you extrapolate the (updated) chart below, you'll see that someone who filed in 8/17 might expect to wait roughly 465 days for his/her interview. 

Hope yours is shorter than that...

.N-400.png.ac1b8d8f70ac39f21329f0a81189f85f.png

On 5/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, Ashanu said:

This morning at 7.10 am I got an email saying 'we have taken action on your case.' Logged into USCIS account and there was a message saying oath ceremony was scheduled and that a letter would follow. Logged in later today and the letter has been uploaded. My oath ceremony has been scheduled for 12th June 2019.

Timeline

Hi guys, I thought I would share my successful N400 Interview Rescheduling story. I've read so many horror stories on here, so wanted to give some hope haha.

I filed N400 in July 2018 in SF, but then I was moving to Washington DC area, and filed my change of address in May 2019. 

Received my Interview notice on Wednesday, May 15th for June 20th in my online USCIS account. Unfortunately, I had a family vacation planned during that week, and it would be impossible to fly back to make my appointment during that time, so I had to reschedule. 

I printed out the Interview Notice Letter from my online account, wrote a letter explaining why I cannot make it, attached my flights information, and sent it via Express Mail to the local office. The letter was delivered the next day. On Tuesday, May 21 I called the 800 number and asked to file a service request to make sure that my letter got to the officer. On May 23d my account got updated with a de-scheduling letter and the new appointment letter for June 26th.

Gotta get to studying now :)

Edited by Moonski

N400

08/20/2018 - Biometrics

08/27/2019 - oath ceremony scheduled @ Alexandria court (name change) for 09/26/2019

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
13 hours ago, Moonski said:

Hi guys, I thought I would share my successful N400 Interview Rescheduling story. I've read so many horror stories on here, so wanted to give some hope haha.

I filed N400 in July 2018 in SF, but then I was moving to Washington DC area, and filed my change of address in May 2019. 

Received my Interview notice on Wednesday, May 15th for June 20th in my online USCIS account. Unfortunately, I had a family vacation planned during that week, and it would be impossible to fly back to make my appointment during that time, so I had to reschedule. 

I printed out the Interview Notice Letter from my online account, wrote a letter explaining why I cannot make it, attached my flights information, and sent it via Express Mail to the local office. The letter was delivered the next day. On Tuesday, May 21 I called the 800 number and asked to file a service request to make sure that my letter got to the officer. On May 23d my account got updated with a de-scheduling letter and the new appointment letter for June 26th.

Gotta get to studying now :)

Where will you go for your interview??

Timeline
7 hours ago, SadMar14 said:

Where will you go for your interview??

It's in Fairfax, VA!

N400

08/20/2018 - Biometrics

On 4/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, thedarkelf said:

UPDATE: I randomly checked the website today to see an interview notice, apparently uploaded on the 18th of April for the 28th of May. Note that I did not receive a text or email update reg. this, so please check the website if you don't do it every day.

Also, clarifying question:

I changed my address in September 2018, filed an AR-11 and updated the address on the uscis website, annoyingly, the N400 notice appears to be addressed to my old address. Does anyone know what I should do?

Hi @thedarkelf - 

Hope your interview went well today! Would you mind keeping this thread posted when you get the date for your Oath (supposedly takes about two days)? I am going in on Friday and it would be super helpful to know a few days early if there's a chance I can hit the June Oath date, to see if I can squeeze out a trip in either June or July. 

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.