pyridine

DCF with exceptional circumstances

66 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, DCF-EC said:

@Black Unicorn any guide for the I-130 when applying via DCF with Exceptional Circumstances?  How does the domicile section work if the US petitioner is living in a foreign country, which is the purpose of needing DCF-EC...? Is the job offer the evidence? What did you specifically submit?

Also, how does the mailing address section work? Did you use the US citizen petitioners foreign address?  Seems contradictory to what's needed for approval. 

Thanks

I can only assume you joined VJ just to ask this question. All I can say is that our individual situation will be unique form yours and others who have done the DCF process. From my experience I recommend to reach out to the embassy and tell your story, ask if it's possible to do DCF and have proof to back it up. Also email them with questions.

As for the domicile thing and addresses. I maintained a residence in the states and my US Bank accounts etc so my domicile is in the states. However, if you have not then you write a letter letting the embassy know that you have the intent of doing so. In the meantime you should be putting the address where y'all live together. The folks at the embassy know your living abroad which is why your asking for DCF.

10/19/22 : Approval for DCF granted

10/28/22 : I-130 petition sent to consulate

10/31/22 : Consulate received I-130 petition

11/16/22 : I-130 petition approved. Packet 3 received

11/18/22 : Packet 3 sent via email

11/21/22 : Packet 3 accepted / Request for interview Approved

11/22/22: Interview scheduled for Dec. 

12/12/22: Medical completed

12/27/22: Visa Interview / 221g issued

1/18/23: Consulate received requested document

1/25/23: CAEC status changed from refuse to issued

1/27/23: Passport picked up

2/5/23: Paid immigration fee (OS155A)

6/7/23: Arrived in U.S.A

6/20/23: SS card delivered via USPS

7/20/23: GC being Produced

7/25/23: GC mailed

7/28/23: GC delivered via USPS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
18 hours ago, DCF-EC said:

@Black Unicorn any guide for the I-130 when applying via DCF with Exceptional Circumstances?  How does the domicile section work if the US petitioner is living in a foreign country, which is the purpose of needing DCF-EC...? Is the job offer the evidence? What did you specifically submit?

Also, how does the mailing address section work? Did you use the US citizen petitioners foreign address?  Seems contradictory to what's needed for approval. 

Thanks

I still get notifications for this thread. Do you live abroad with your spouse? My domicile was in Denmark at the time as we lived there together and worked there. I didn't use any US address for ourselves. The job offer letter (also added in some proof of pregnancy since we had double exceptional circumstances) was the reason - I contacted the US Embassy in Denmark first though specifically about how to request to do DCF there. They wanted the evidence for the DCF request first, and they then got permission from our jurisdiction's USCIS office (London) for us to submit the I-130 and do DCF. I had to submit some evidence including the job offer letter and copies of our Danish residence cards to get this permission. This process may have changed since 2018 but you should check with the embassy first since you can't just file I-130 at the embassy unless you're in a country where DCF is automatically allowed (Denmark was not) and you need permission to do so first via the exceptional circumstances.

Edited by pyridine

@pyridineclearly things have changed and each country is different. That is each embassy in various countries have different processes. As I already stated we live abroad. Meaning I live outside of the US. However, i'm an American who has no intention of giving up citizenship so my domicile is in the US. Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Black Unicorn said:

@pyridineclearly things have changed and each country is different. That is each embassy in various countries have different processes. As I already stated we live abroad. Meaning I live outside of the US. However, i'm an American who has no intention of giving up citizenship so my domicile is in the US. Thanks!

Domicile is where you maintain a permanent home. It doesn't matter if you're a US citizen, obviously I've always been a US citizen - do you have residency in another country? Then that's your domicile, pure and simple. Unless you are maintaining another home in the US and live there the majority of the time and consider it your predominant place of residency.

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.