4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had my medical on the 30th of january this year. During I was told I would need a tdap, flu and chicken pox shot. I had the tdap done at the embassy practice but I was told I can have the rest in America due to applying for k1. I am very sensitive to vaccines, this vaccine has left in bedridden and in agony for 2 weeks now after I ended up in hospital. A flu shot did the same thing to me 10 years ago and it took me 8 years just to recover fully. She told me as I've had chicken pox 3 times I could get a blood test to prove I have antibodies. And for flu I may get away with not having if it's not flu season. But reading up it's not clear. If my medical was during flu season and I apply out of it, would I still need a vaccine? And how do I prove I have antibodies for chickenpox? Can I have a blood test by my doctor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

3 hours ago, JennDraven said:

If my medical was during flu season and I apply out of it, would I still need a vaccine? And how do I prove I have antibodies for chickenpox? Can I have a blood test by my doctor?

If your case is interviewed or decided when it is not flu season, then no flu shot is required. But you don't know when your case will get to the front of a very long queue. 

Nobody needs a blood test for Varicella antibodies. They are supposed to take your word for it with no proof. And since they do not immunize for it in the UK, most kids get it. However because you said you had it three times, she probably doubted your story. It would be extremely rare for anybody to have chickenpox more than once.   Your form should have been marked "Varicella History" (you have a history of having the disease.) but if it wasn't so you will need to pay a civil surgeon in the US to do a new immunization form for you.  

The best bet for you is make your new medical appointment in the US after March 31 when flu season ends. On April 1, your form will be marked "Not flu season" and you don't have to get a flu shot. It is waived when the civil surgeon marks it that way.  Doesn't matter when you interview.  At that appointment you can say you had chickenpox and the Varicella shot should be waived too. But just say you had it when you were in your first year of school when it was going around all the kids in your class. Sounds more believeable. 

Call around because many, many civil surgeons will tell you that you need a new full medical exam, which is expensive. Find one who agrees to do you immunization form only. Take your sheet from the visa medical or any other shot records you have so the civil surgeon can copy them to your new form.

Edited by Wuozopo

My mum had chicken pox three times. I guess I would try to get a blood titer done for that beforehand. You could try asking your doctor but you might have to go private for it. Then in the US you can tell the civil surgeon you had chicken pox but you'll have the (hopefully positive) test results for back-up. (I'm surprised at Knightsbridge recently. Perhaps there is a newer nurse taking her job too seriously? :blink: I mean, yeah, if you get chicken pox multiple times then maybe that suggests you're likely to still lack immunity...but SHHH just check the box! And that might mean you're someone who wouldn't gain immunity from the vaccination anyway, not sure how that correlates.)

So long as you see the civil surgeon in the US outside of flu season you'll be fine for that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I would try to get a blood test done. I had chicken pocks when I was a child and did the blood test to proof it. I´m going to have my medical next week and called in advance to make sure a blood test is ok. They said it´s an adequate evidence. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.