jesserz

I-864 joint sponsor is retired but employed, I am unemployed and living abroad.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We are getting our I-864 ready and out of the way now.

I make $0. Completely unemployed.

My husband (the alien) is employed but it won't carry to the US, so that's null.

We live abroad right now.

My mother is sponsoring us. 

-I am not her dependent, but will be living with her and my husband after he gets his visa. Since I'm not a dependent to her, on her form, am I included in her household? I feel like I should be, but where?

-She is retired, but not "retired from..." I mean, she left her job because of disability years ago and now collects Social Security Retirement because of her age, does she just put her most recent employment from years ago? I mean, she's not really technically retired from them, she just left them.

-She is also currently employed, so do we put employed as an... AND retired from...?

Because I live abroad and make absolutely no income and haven't in years, my tax guy in America has told me the last three years that it IRS doesn't need my taxes. So I have no tax forms. Seems weird now that I say it [type it] outloud. 

I can't seem to find answers specifically to these questions anywhere, so maybe someone has had this happen to them. 

Thanks!

Nebraska Service Centre / Frankfurt Embassy

2016/03/30 - Married!

2017/07/14 - Sent off our I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox (Filed from abroad)

2017/07/24 - NOA1 (sent to Nebraska)

2018/03/02 - NOA2 (Approved!)

2018/03/19 - "We sent your petition to the Department of State"

2018/03/23 - NVC received petition

2018/05/17 - Case# received and fees paid

2018/05/21 - Case# changed -- can't log in with the new one so "we've sent in a 'ticket' to get it fixed"

2018/05/22 - Scan date. Ticket worked, submitted all our paperwork until the wee hours of the morning. 

2018/06/11 - CC!!! "Documentarily Qualified"

2018/06/25 - Got interview date for July 11; but we must reschedule for August. 

2018/06/26 - Medical

2018/06/28 - New interview date received (for August 13th)

2018/08/13 - Interview in Frankfurt!!! They asked for certified translations.

2018/08/28 - Sent in translations

2018/09/06 - CEAC status changed to "ISSUED!!!"

2018/09/13 - Passport received in the mail! Everything is beautiful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

if you had foreign income, you  do taxes 

a huge amount (over 100,00) is exempt 

if not,  then no tax return

you need to establish residency in the US  so how will you do this

and your mom will need to fill out joint sponsor form and include herself,  all people living under her roof ,  you and your husband

so ,  check the 124% poverty guidelines to see if her income is adequate

as far as her income, it will be total income

you are not living in the US, so how will you handle this? 

i do'nt need to know but it is needed for sponsorship

and what did you put for US address on the applicatio?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, kris&me said:

if you had foreign income, you  do taxes 

a huge amount (over 100,00) is exempt 

if not,  then no tax return

you need to establish residency in the US  so how will you do this

and your mom will need to fill out joint sponsor form and include herself,  all people living under her roof ,  you and your husband

so ,  check the 124% poverty guidelines to see if her income is adequate

as far as her income, it will be total income

you are not living in the US, so how will you handle this? 

i do'nt need to know but it is needed for sponsorship

and what did you put for US address on the applicatio?

I had no income at all. So no taxes for me. I see on the form now where it says to check if I wasn't required to file them.

My residence on my license is my mother's address and it's my permanent address, I have evidence of domicile, but I don't live there currently and haven't for a while. We want to move to the US, though. So I put her address as my US address. We filed from outside the country, though. However, she's my joint sponsor because, as I said, I have no income.

I'm not living under her roof now, and won't until my husband moves there. But there's only a space for her spouse and her dependents, of which I am neither.

She does make more than 124%, so that's fine.

2016/03/30 - Married!

2017/07/14 - Sent off our I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox (Filed from abroad)

2018/05/21 - Case# changed -- can't log in with the new one so "we've sent in a 'ticket' to get it fixed"

2018/05/22 - Scan date. Ticket worked, submitted all our paperwork until the wee hours of the morning. 

2018/06/26 - Medical

Timeline
1 minute ago, databit said:

Just because you have a drivers license doesn't equal domicile. One look at your passport, and the story of where you have been living will be clear to immigration. Search VisaJourney for what you will need.

I'm not doing anything wrong here. There's nothing wrong with living abroad. We're allowed to file from here and we did. We live together. 

I put my mother's address as my mailing address but my physical address as this one I'm in now. I still have a US bank account too. With her address as my billing address. It's also where I lived before moving abroad. I'm not worried about that. I'm concerned about how I don't live there now (which the USCIS knows), but I will. So how does that work on my mother's I-864? I'm not her dependent, and haven't been, but she has to "claim" my husband on the form. Does she have to "claim" me too?

And I have used the search function. Closest I found still did not answer my question. Hence the thread. 

2016/03/30 - Married!

2018/06/26 - Medical

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, jesserz said:

We are getting our I-864 ready and out of the way now.

I make $0. Completely unemployed.

My husband (the alien) is employed but it won't carry to the US, so that's null.

We live abroad right now.

My mother is sponsoring us. 

-I am not her dependent, but will be living with her and my husband after he gets his visa. Since I'm not a dependent to her, on her form, am I included in her household? I feel like I should be, but where?

-She is retired, but not "retired from..." I mean, she left her job because of disability years ago and now collects Social Security Retirement because of her age, does she just put her most recent employment from years ago? I mean, she's not really technically retired from them, she just left them.

-She is also currently employed, so do we put employed as an... AND retired from...?

Because I live abroad and make absolutely no income and haven't in years, my tax guy in America has told me the last three years that it IRS doesn't need my taxes. So I have no tax forms. Seems weird now that I say it [type it] outloud. 

I can't seem to find answers specifically to these questions anywhere, so maybe someone has had this happen to them. 

Thanks!

You are not part of your mother's household.  She is "employed" and has two sources of income.  Add her SS income to her employment income when calculating her current income.  Indicate you were not required to file tax returns because you had no income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
9 hours ago, pushbrk said:

You are not part of your mother's household.  She is "employed" and has two sources of income.  Add her SS income to her employment income when calculating her current income.  Indicate you were not required to file tax returns because you had no income.

Thank you very much! So we only check that she is "employed as a/an..." and then add together her total income with evidence of that in the attached documents. Because there is no box for SS income. Only pensions and properties and the like.

2016/03/30 - Married!

2018/06/26 - Medical

Timeline
9 hours ago, jesserz said:

Thank you very much! So we only check that she is "employed as a/an..." and then add together her total income with evidence of that in the attached documents. Because there is no box for SS income. Only pensions and properties and the like.

Correct.  Also, when calculating her past income from tax returns, you take line 22 minus the taxable SS income, plus all the SS income and that is her income from that tax year.  Don't confuse anything on a tax return with her current income.  Taxes are filed regarding the past, not the present.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 month later...
Timeline

New Question!!!

Our joint sponsor makes above 125% of the poverty line and has done for the past 3 years. We have all the transcripts to show that. But she makes just barely over the 125% though. A few hundred to a thousand dollars over. But has, consistently. 

Should I be worried? And, if so, should we A.) List her assets (like her house and her IRA)? or B.) Use a second joint sponsor in addition to her just in case? Someone who makes thousands more than the required 125%? This person has also done so for 3 years, but has not held the same job during that entire 3 year period.

2016/03/30 - Married!

2018/06/26 - Medical

Timeline
On 2/9/2018 at 6:57 PM, databit said:

Just because you have a drivers license doesn't equal domicile. One look at your passport, and the story of where you have been living will be clear to immigration. Search VisaJourney for what you will need.

And when you do, you will see NOT that you are required to have US domicile.  You'll see you are required to provide evidence you INTEND to "re-establish" US domicile.  Getting an immigrant visa for your spouse, is pretty good evidence of that intention, but your plan to live at your mother's house until you make other arrangements is really all the other evidence you need.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
On 2/9/2018 at 7:05 PM, jesserz said:

So how does that work on my mother's I-864? I'm not her dependent, and haven't been, but she has to "claim" my husband on the form. Does she have to "claim" me too?

A great source of answers is the I-864 "instructions", which will tell you that your husband is the intending immigrant, and that's how he is counted in your mother's household.  Try the form itself.  Once you indicate you are sponsoring "1" intending immigrant, that "1" will automatically appear where it should in the "household" count.  On your own form, leave spouse at 0, because he's already counted.  Instructions on the face of the form say not to count anybody twice.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.