Habibati & Habibi

K1 , Married : How to file for taxes?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

hello Vjs

I would like to inquire about doing taxes in the US for the first time in my life here, I hear people say the state and federal tax, withholding and other terms. My wife do taxes but she do not even know how and I want to know , how the government withhold taxes from worker pay and how the percentage is calculated am d what is the difference between federal and state taxes.

since this is my first time to file , and being married what is the best way to file for taxes? separately or jointly?

thank you

----------------------------------------------

Diversity is the Spice of life and I add ; translation is the mother of all sciences.

Timeline

thank you for the reply, however could you please explain more?

thank you

----------------------------------------------

Diversity is the Spice of life and I add ; translation is the mother of all sciences.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, Saiali said:

joint if together u made less than 100,000 for 2017. Separate if one of u made more considerably more or owned a business. 

That's incorrect.

MFS is convenient only in few specific cases.

Usually, MFJ produces the lower tax liabilities.

What you were referring is probably "single' filing status, but if they were married as of 12/31/17, that's not an option.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 2/8/2018 at 12:04 AM, Habibati & Habibi said:

hello Vjs

I would like to inquire about doing taxes in the US for the first time in my life here, I hear people say the state and federal tax, withholding and other terms. My wife do taxes but she do not even know how and I want to know , how the government withhold taxes from worker pay and how the percentage is calculated am d what is the difference between federal and state taxes.

since this is my first time to file , and being married what is the best way to file for taxes? separately or jointly?

thank you

Calculate it both ways and choose the best result

YMMV

Timeline
13 hours ago, Italian_in_NYC said:

That's incorrect.

MFS is convenient only in few specific cases.

Usually, MFJ produces the lower tax liabilities.

What you were referring is probably "single' filing status, but if they were married as of 12/31/17, that's not an option.

12 hours ago, payxibka said:

Calculate it both ways and choose the best result

@Italian no I wasn't referring to filing single.  A majority of my co-workers file mfs due to the fact that a majority of us make 200k or more a few have small busineses and itemize instead of taking standard deductions and some of their spouses are self employed. However I am by no means a licensed accountant.

@Paxiyikba I agree calculate both ways and go with the one who better benefits u as a couple.

Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:08 AM, Saiali said:

@Italian no I wasn't referring to filing single.  A majority of my co-workers file mfs due to the fact that a majority of us make 200k or more a few have small busineses and itemize instead of taking standard deductions and some of their spouses are self employed. However I am by no means a licensed accountant.

@Paxiyikba I agree calculate both ways and go with the one who better benefits u as a couple.

That doesn't make any sense. Self-employed individuals deduct their expenses directly on Schedule C, not schedule A.

If you itemize, it only makes sense to file MFS if one individual has lower AGI and huge expenses subject to AGI floor (typically, medical expenses subject to 10% AGI floor).

I am a licensed accountant.

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Timeline
5 hours ago, Italian_in_NYC said:

That doesn't make any sense. Self-employed individuals deduct their expenses directly on Schedule C, not schedule A.

If you itemize, it only makes sense to file MFS if one individual has lower AGI and huge expenses subject to AGI floor (typically, medical expenses subject to 10% AGI floor).

I am a licensed accountant.

If u reread my post I never said anything specifically about the schedules. I spoke only on general information. 

Edited by Saiali

Timeline
2 hours ago, Saiali said:

If u reread my post I never said anything specifically about the schedules. I spoke only on general information. 

Itemized deductions = schedule A

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.