Dportillo

Admitted to prior 1 time use of a drug

18 posts in this topic

Hello All!!

My husband recently got approved to go down to El Salvador for his visa interview after an approval of a 1-601a waiver. When he went to his medical examine because his lovely wife told him to be honest and upfront about everything, Admitted to trying both marijuana and cocaine once in 2009. The doctor asked him why and how long was the usage. He said it was in a group of friends, he tried it once, it gave him the shakes and he never took it again. I knew about this, and we moved passed it. It was stupid he knows but now we are freaking out cause i been reading about this one year bad. Yes both him and i know it was illegal but what I am asking is has anyone else gone through this? Does the one year band start from the last time that he tried it? Which is once in 2009? Also he got sent to go be evaluated by a psychologist and further lab testing. Urine and blood came out negative no traces of drugs. Should we worry about the one year ban?

*freaking out because one he has a son that hardly wants to eat (his four years old) cause he misses his daddy, I miss him (I have ptsd and he helps me through the process of the night terrors) and three husband has a heart condition, basically he is a ticking time bomb due to high cholesterol and recent discovery with a ct scan of excessive calcium in the heart* 

Can anyone shed light? Im bracing myself for the ban but anyone have any relief? Good Stories with Good Endings? Lawyer thinks it will be fine since it was once in 2009 and never again, but you know us wives, we worry like no freaking end.

There’s no way to know what the psychologist will determine, but being sent to one after admitting use is pretty normal. Assuming that went well, he will probably be fine.

Just as a heads up, if he is inadmissible due to drug use, the I-601A will not apply and an I-601 will be needed.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Thank you! Makes us feel a little better. Our lawyer finally responded and said since it was in 2009 and it hasn’t happened since and he’s not addicted he should be fine. We are waiting for an appointment for the psychologist and hopefully everything is done and ready for his interview for the 22nd so he can come home. 

Keep us posted.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Will do... been up all night researching... just scared for him. He’s a great guy, clean record both here and El Salvador. Active member of the community and just made a stupid mistake in 09 listening to friends... it sucks tour truthful and now your in freak out mood..

4 hours ago, dportillo80 said:

Will do... been up all night researching... just scared for him. He’s a great guy, clean record both here and El Salvador. Active member of the community and just made a stupid mistake in 09 listening to friends... it sucks tour truthful and now your in freak out mood..

Just be honest as always and he SHOULD be ok hopefully.

Timeline

Appointment for the psychologist is set for the 7th... will keep posted. Both of us are not worried from what i read now on the update of the USCIS website as of aug 23,2017. Basically my understanding since it’s not within a year and it’s been almost 8 years he is what they cal remission and can be classified as not a or b or just b. Which would give him a pass. This is nerve wrecking cause he’s not a drug addict his job test randomly every year and he’s always passed. We will wait and see with the psychologist says and the co... I’ll keep everyone posted now  that my nerves are calm.. more nervous for our son who’s four who doesn’t understand why daddy is gone and hardly will eat... never wrecking

Oh goodness. thats great news! he has his psych eval today, but his interview with the embassy is not till the 22nd.. Im just so nervous.. just want him home..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 2/7/2018 at 12:24 PM, Dportillo said:

Oh goodness. thats great news! he has his psych eval today, but his interview with the embassy is not till the 22nd.. Im just so nervous.. just want him home..

How did things go with your hubby? I hope everything went well. 🙂

MARRIED 09/28/2015
MAILED I-130 09/13/2016

NOA 1 09/20/2016

APPROVED 10/18/2016 :D:thumbs:

:clock:

PAID AOS FEE 11/18/2016

VISA APPROVED 1/8/2018:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, He got to his interview today. The officer was nice and pleasant, did not mention anything about medical. Said everything was good however he got a 221 g. Not because of admitting but because I was married previously before him and I did not realize that you have to have a certificate of divorce. I gave him all the court documents when initiated and when it was stamped signed by a judge saying divorced. Well our lawyer did not tell us either that we needed a certificate of divorce so now I had to over night it to him, which he will receive today. Then he will send it to the embassy through cargo express and is now sitting on administrative processing. I have no idea how long that takes but over one piece of paper, it just nerve wrecking, we have a son who is emotionally spirally down because his daddy is not here and i just want him home miss him like crazy. Can anyone shed light on how long administrative processing will take?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay Update guys!! After my husbands interview on 02/22/2018, they said nothing about him admitting to prior drug use, did not even discuss it. What held him in AP was because our lawyer advised us that the court documents for my previous divorce was enough but they wanted the divorce certificate from the state of Wisconsin. This ended him up in the lovely green slip 221g for Administrative Processing for missing document. I overnight them through ups the same day (cost: 99.68$) the document was received on 02/23/2018 at 5:06 pm, cargo express was now closed. He turned the document in however on Saturday 02/24/2018 to cargo express. The Embassy received the document officially on 02/26/2018. He remained in administrative processing. One 03/07/2018 the status changed from Administrative processing to ready at around 12:35 PM and then switched back to Administrative Processing 30 Minutes after it change. His date updated from 02/22/2018 to 03/07/2018 when this happened. It stayed like that until the morning (9:30 AM) of 03/09/2018 where it changed to Issued (CEAC) and the case status date changed to 03/09/2018. Now keep in mind that the travel website to check your passport since 03/07/2018 kept saying there is no status update available for the passport number submitted. On Monday 03/12/2018 that status for the passport switched to something I can remember it said along the lines of awaiting for delivery that it had left the consulate/embassy. On 03/13/2018 at exactly 6 AM i received an email alert that the passport/visa was ready for pick up! My husband went to pick it up, they gave him the yellow envelope and told him not to open it. Please note: the envelope has a tear in it, and they told him that was normal the hole because thats how they open the envelope quickly when he goes in the us airport through immigration. They also told him not to give the envelope to anyone in the El Salvador airport that the person that he needs to hand it to is the immigration officer in the United States. Now flights are outrages for prices right now due to spring break, 1,400$ to return home so my husband will be officially returning home on 03/22/2018. If all goes well through immigration, he will be home safe and sound. This whole process is nerve wrecking because you are basically trusting in the unknown, I wanted to update everyone because we went through so much anxiety and if it can help alittle bit on the process we went though then great! Message me if you have any questions, it was nerve wrecking, but we waited and we will soon be reunited!!! 

Congrats!!!! And thanks for the update.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I was sitting on the edge of my seat reading this whole forum!  Such suspense!  Glad he made it through!

Edited by Quinton1980
mispelling

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.