SONG41

Dublin Immigration

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husbands son has just been approved he is 15 to become a citizen when he next enters US.

Does anyone know if this can be done when entering through Dublin Immigration?

I understand that the sealed envelope has to be handed in & then he becomes a citizen is that correct?

The best price we can get on flights is through Dublin from the South West of England but obviously we did not want to fly that route if Dublin do not do this part of the process.

Thank You 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
22 minutes ago, SONG41 said:

Does anyone know if this can be done when entering through Dublin Immigration?

Yes. Absolutely no problem to do it at pre-clearance in Dublin. 

I understand that the sealed envelope has to be handed in & then he becomes a citizen is that correct?

He'll become a lawful permanent resident, not a citizen, but otherwise, that's pretty much the process. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Becomes a USC when he enters, clears PoE, on his immigrant visa.

Presumably CRBA was not possible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Becomes a USC when he enters, clears PoE, on his immigrant visa.

Presumably CRBA was not possible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I am not sure if CRBA would have applied as my husband & his first wife where both UK citizens at the time of his birth? He was born in UK, my husband became a citizen in 2012 but we only applied for his son in 2016 as his Mothers situation in UK had changed so she wanted him to live with us here in Virginia & visit her?

So with a child he is 15 do they give you a citizenship certificate at Dublin POE? If not how does he prove he is now US citizen to get his SSN & US Passport?

Edited by SONG41

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, SONG41 said:

I am not sure if CRBA would have applied as my husband & his first wife where both UK citizens at the time of his birth? He was born in UK, my husband became a citizen in 2012 but we only applied for his son in 2016 as his Mothers situation in UK had changed so she wanted him to live with us here in Virginia & visit her?

So with a child he is 15 do they give you a citizenship certificate at Dublin POE? If not how does he prove he is now US citizen to get his SSN & US Passport?

He will be admitted as a permanent resident (green card holder) either in preclearance Dublin or wherever he first enters the US if he flies a different route. His passport stamp will indicate his status. That allows him to apply for a social security card at your local social security office. His actual green card will be mailed to him. 

To get a citizenship certificate, there is an application process...form, evidence documentation, and a fee of $1170. And many months of waiting. There may or may not be an interview. With the certificate, he can get a US passport. 

https://www.uscis.gov/n-600

Timeline

I was told that he would become a citizen as he is a child immediately not a green card holder? How can I check if this is correct I thought we where at the end of this very long process not more money & paperwork!! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SONG41 said:

I was told that he would become a citizen as he is a child immediately not a green card holder? How can I check if this is correct I thought we where at the end of this very long process not more money & paperwork!! 

You asked where he got a citizenship certificate. He has to apply. See the link above. They don't hand those out at airports.

Or he can skip the citizenship certificate and apply for a passport which will also serve as proof of his US citizenship. Note he has to submit proof he is a permanent resident amongst other things to get a passport.

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation 

Yes, in theory he is a US citizen based on his father, but getting one of the documents to prove it (passport or certificate) requires further paperwork. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline

Thank you so much for the reply I am totally confused!! 

I thought we had applied for him to become a citizen in 2016 he recently had a medical & interview we thought for Citizenship in London.

He now has the visa in his passport & a sealed envelope? 

I just looked at the passport requirements it states he needs his certificate of citizenship?

So all we have done then is applied for him to become an LPR? So when & how would we get his green card?

How do we change the LPR status to Citizen which is what we understood we had applied for in 2016?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, SONG41 said:

Thank you so much for the reply I am totally confused!! 

I thought we had applied for him to become a citizen in 2016 he recently had a medical & interview we thought for Citizenship in London.

He now has the visa in his passport & a sealed envelope? 

I just looked at the passport requirements it states he needs his certificate of citizenship?

So all we have done then is applied for him to become an LPR? So when & how would we get his green card?

How do we change the LPR status to Citizen which is what we understood we had applied for in 2016?

You applied for an immigrant visa, which allows him to enter the US and get a greencard. He interviewed for the visa which is now in his UK passport. 

He does not have to have a certificate to get a passport. I listed the documentation for him one post up.

already said two posts up how he gets the actual greencard and SSN. 

if you want paperwork to prove he is a citizen, read one post up again.

Timeline

Thank You so much for your patience.

I am so shocked more paperwork & more money! Is there more interviews & medicals?

Hopefully you have not already answered this but he comes through immigration with his envelope, how do we then get him his green card & SSN when he gets here?

Timeline

Green card is mailed to the address where he said he intends to live in the US on his visa paperwork.  Entry on a visa triggers the production of the card because he has to enter to be an LPR.  There is no further medical or interviewing. There is a fee paid online (USCIS immigration fee $165) after the visa is issued. It supposedly covers the cost of issuing the greencard.  Most pay before entry, but you can wait too. Read this if you haven't paid the fee. 

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/uscis-immigrant-fee-payment-guide

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/how-pay-uscis-immigrant-fee

Start pay process https://public-prod-elis2.uscis.dhs.gov/efile/app/app/iv/#!/

Concerning SSN. It's free.

17 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

His passport stamp will indicate his status. That allows him to apply for a social security card at your local social security office. His actual green card will be mailed to him. 

Timeline

Thank you so much for explaining everything I have gone from shock to understanding what needs to be done. I hope this helps others.

I had not paid the $165 so we will do that now.

It is so expensive & constantly producing the same documents is tedious! 

On a brighter note what a Lucky Child that I married his Dad! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.