egroeg

I-751/N-400 combo filers in Chicago

196 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Oath date 9/20.

But ’tis a common proof
That lowliness is young ambition’s ladder,
Whereto the climber upward turns his face.
But when he once attains the upmost round,
He then unto the ladder turns his back,
Looks in the clouds, scorning the base degrees
By which he did ascend.
- Julius Caesar
--------------------------------------------------------------

AOS Timeline

07/02/2014 Forms sent via FedEx to USCIS in Chicago, IL

07/08/2014 USCIS Filing Fees accepted

07/09/2014 NOA texts and emails

07/12/2014 Received NOA in mail

07/18/2014 Received Biometrics Appointment NOA for 7/31

07/31/2014 Biometrics @ 5220 S Pulaski - Completed!

08/04/2014 Testing and Interview

09/02/2014 EAD Approved and Card in Production (62 Days from filing)

09/04/2014 AP Approved (64 Days from filing)

09/09/2014 EAD/AP Mailed

09/10/2014 EAD/AP "Combo" Card Received

01/12/2015 Text for 485 Adjustment Received (Interview Schedule)

02/17/2015 Interview Scheduled (230 Days or 7 months and 15 days from filing)

02/17/2015 Request for Original Document

02/24/2015 Original Document Shown and Green Card Approved for Production

03/04/2015 Green Card Arrived Via USPS

I-751 Removal of Conditions Timeline

01/03/2017 Forms and paperwork sent in to California.

01/09/2017 NOA1 Received

On 9/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, gabreigns said:

Oath date 9/20.

Awesome! Happy for you!

Curious, what kind of questions did they ask your spouse? Was it similar to the I-485?

Timeline
On 9/8/2018 at 5:25 PM, ordjnb said:

Awesome! Happy for you!

Curious, what kind of questions did they ask your spouse? Was it similar to the I-485?

Yes I believe it was pretty much similar, the basic stuff.

But ’tis a common proof
By which he did ascend.
- Julius Caesar

AOS Timeline

09/09/2014 EAD/AP Mailed

01/09/2017 NOA1 Received

On 9/6/2018 at 7:04 AM, xilef said:

@newsonys had a successful combo-interview experience as well.

It seems that I was the only one not having a combo interview. I filed I751 in January 2017 and N400 in December 2017, both paper and no lawyers involved in any of the two. My N 400 app was August 27. I attended with my wife. The IO was really nice, but at the end of the interview he said he couldn't approved me because my pending I 751. He said he was not the officer to do it and than he needed a supervisor approval, so when he gave me the form N 652 he marked the option not able to make a decision at this time (or something like that). He did the test, thou, which I passed. Before I left he mentioned that they will mail my Oath letter, once the supervisor okays my file. And I am waiting since then. My current status online is: for 751: no changes since the transfer my case on May 1 2018. N 400: In line for Oath. It's a bit confusing, because it seems I am approved but then again I am waiting for 751.

I just hope It doesn't take them months to make a decision.

Something else: IO did have my 751 file as well, he went trough it briefly and made a small note on it (i didn't see what was that about) and then I put a rubber band to the 2 folders and left them together in his desk (I was ready to eat my nails thinking they could get forgotten there waiting for a supervisor). He asked if the person outside waiting for me was my wife and I said yes. I don't offer for her to come, I just waited to see if he could do the joint interview but that din't happen. Now just patiently waiting.

On 9/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, gabreigns said:

Oath date 9/20.

Congrats!!!! I want mine already!

Timeline
12 hours ago, Charly2 said:

It seems that I was the only one not having a combo interview. I filed I751 in January 2017 and N400 in December 2017, both paper and no lawyers involved in any of the two. My N 400 app was August 27. I attended with my wife. The IO was really nice, but at the end of the interview he said he couldn't approved me because my pending I 751. He said he was not the officer to do it and than he needed a supervisor approval, so when he gave me the form N 652 he marked the option not able to make a decision at this time (or something like that). He did the test, thou, which I passed. Before I left he mentioned that they will mail my Oath letter, once the supervisor okays my file. And I am waiting since then. My current status online is: for 751: no changes since the transfer my case on May 1 2018. N 400: In line for Oath. It's a bit confusing, because it seems I am approved but then again I am waiting for 751.

I just hope It doesn't take them months to make a decision.

Something else: IO did have my 751 file as well, he went trough it briefly and made a small note on it (i didn't see what was that about) and then I put a rubber band to the 2 folders and left them together in his desk (I was ready to eat my nails thinking they could get forgotten there waiting for a supervisor). He asked if the person outside waiting for me was my wife and I said yes. I don't offer for her to come, I just waited to see if he could do the joint interview but that din't happen. Now just patiently waiting.

Congrats!!!! I want mine already!

Thanks. Wish you the very beat and hope you hear back soon.

But ’tis a common proof
By which he did ascend.
- Julius Caesar

AOS Timeline

09/09/2014 EAD/AP Mailed

01/09/2017 NOA1 Received

Timeline

For the oath ceremony One of the things they mention is to surrender your old green card.

i have my conditional green card but not the 10year green card. 

Anyone faced any problems considering that we had a combo interview and don’t have our 10year green cards yet?

But ’tis a common proof
By which he did ascend.
- Julius Caesar

AOS Timeline

09/09/2014 EAD/AP Mailed

01/09/2017 NOA1 Received

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience here.

Background:

Pending I-751 (March 2017) and N-400 (Jan 2018). I had my N-400 interview this week.

Outcome:

I took my wife along just in case if the IO wanted to do a joint interview. But that did not happen. I was only interviewed on the N-400 application. I cleared the N-400 interview/exam and then the IO said to wait for about 30 days so a decision can be made on my I-751 before approving N-400. Bummer 😞 .

Interview experience:

We checked-in at the counter on the 3rd Floor (Chicago USCIS field office) and seated with the token. We were there about 45 mins before the scheduled time since my wife had to go back to work and thinking if the IO can take us in earlier. But after looking at the crowd we had second thoughts on how soon we are going to get done. Someone sitting next to us was waiting for nearly 3 hours so that got us little worried. To our surprise, we were called in about 45 mins after the scheduled time (on interview letter). The IO was nice and straight forward. Courteous and professional. From there-on, all standard stuff. Started with the 6/10 questions. I don't recollect all the questions exactly right now but will post later if I can. They were super easy though. After the IO mentioned about my pending I-751, I did ask if IO wants to see my wife who is outside in the waiting area, IO said no. I also asked if IO needs to see any more documents, IO said no. We talked about a few clarifications in general on application even though my application was very straightforward but I wanted to confirm a few things from my side. I also had a trip outside of USA for about 2 weeks after I submitted the application. I asked if IO wanted any evidence or documentation so the dates can be updated on my application. Again, IO said no to it as well citing it wasn't a concern since the trip did not last too long and my overall time spent outside US wasn't an issue either. So all good there. In the end, I was told if the IO finds everything on my I-751 that they need to review, then I will be approved in 30 days or so. Followed by N-400 approval and oath letter in mail. However, if the IO needs anything from me then it will be flagged for another interview (joint and only I-751). So I really do not know what is going to happen but hoping for a positive outcome.

So close yet so far from being approved.

My two cents

The IOs are generally all good I guess and they seem to be doing their job thoroughly and professionally. Earlier, I-751 for Chicago area was completely (or for the most part), if I'm not wrong, was being handled by California offices. However, with the backlog and changing priorities/goals of the USCIS, there are new processes being introduced and they are also getting used to it. Hence, we are seeing files being transferred to local offices to manage the work load. So let's not worry too much and just be positive :) .

Thanks everyone though for sharing your experience. I know some of us here had the same experience of not being approved on I-751 or did not have a joint interview for I-751 while N-400 is pending. And some others were lucky to be approved on both applications almost instantly :) 

8 hours ago, gabreigns said:

For the oath ceremony One of the things they mention is to surrender your old green card.

i have my conditional green card but not the 10year green card. 

Anyone faced any problems considering that we had a combo interview and don’t have our 10year green cards yet?

You should be fine turning in your Conditional resident GC @gabreigns

19 minutes ago, KCHICAGO said:

Hi everyone,

Background:

Pending I-751 (March 2017) and N-400 (Jan 2018). I had my N-400 interview this week.

Outcome:

I took my wife along just in case if the IO wanted to do a joint interview. But that did not happen. I was only interviewed on the N-400 application. I cleared the N-400 interview/exam and then the IO said to wait for about 30 days so a decision can be made on my I-751 before approving N-400. Bummer 😞 .

Interview experience:

We checked-in at the counter on the 3rd Floor (Chicago USCIS field office) and seated with the token. We were there about 45 mins before the scheduled time since my wife had to go back to work and thinking if the IO can take us in earlier. But after looking at the crowd we had second thoughts on how soon we are going to get done. Someone sitting next to us was waiting for nearly 3 hours so that got us little worried. To our surprise, we were called in about 45 mins after the scheduled time (on interview letter). The IO was nice and straight forward. Courteous and professional. From there-on, all standard stuff. Started with the 6/10 questions. I don't recollect all the questions exactly right now but will post later if I can. They were super easy though. After the IO mentioned about my pending I-751, I did ask if IO wants to see my wife who is outside in the waiting area, IO said no. I also asked if IO needs to see any more documents, IO said no. We talked about a few clarifications in general on application even though my application was very straightforward but I wanted to confirm a few things from my side. I also had a trip outside of USA for about 2 weeks after I submitted the application. I asked if IO wanted any evidence or documentation so the dates can be updated on my application. Again, IO said no to it as well citing it wasn't a concern since the trip did not last too long and my overall time spent outside US wasn't an issue either. So all good there. In the end, I was told if the IO finds everything on my I-751 that they need to review, then I will be approved in 30 days or so. Followed by N-400 approval and oath letter in mail. However, if the IO needs anything from me then it will be flagged for another interview (joint and only I-751). So I really do not know what is going to happen but hoping for a positive outcome.

My two cents

The IOs are generally all good I guess and they seem to be doing their job thoroughly and professionally. Earlier, I-751 for Chicago area was completely (or for the most part), if I'm not wrong, was being handled by California offices. However, with the backlog and changing priorities/goals of the USCIS, there are new processes being introduced and they are also getting used to it. Hence, we are seeing files being transferred to local offices to manage the work load. So let's not worry too much and just be positive :) .

Thanks everyone though for sharing your experience. I know some of us here had the same experience of not being approved on I-751 or did not have a joint interview for I-751 while N-400 is pending. And some others were lucky to be approved on both applications almost instantly :) 

Thank you for sharing your experience@KCHICAGO, @Rmsh who is a January 2018 N-400 filer had a similar experience to what you faced.He brought his spouse along but the IO didn't want to talk to them either. He had his interview at the end of june I believe.

22 minutes ago, KCHICAGO said:

Hi everyone,

Background:

Outcome:

Interview experience:

My two cents

Can you describe your officer, was it a middle aged hispanic gentleman ? 

Just now, xilef said:

Thank you for sharing your experience@KCHICAGO, @Rmsh who is a January 2018 N-400 filer had a similar experience to what you faced.He brought his spouse along but the IO didn't want to talk to them either. He had his interview at the end of june I believe.

@KCHICAGO

1 hour ago, xilef said:

@KCHICAGO

Yes, there have been a few cases where they did not do a joint interview. I don't know why they do not have a streamlined process.

Regarding the gender and appearance of the IO, I wouldn't feel comfortable disclosing it. Sorry.

2 hours ago, KCHICAGO said:

Hi everyone,

Background:

Outcome:

Thanks for sharing. We're pretty much in the same boat. One question: do you have the case tracker app and the online account? and if you do, what's your status on both processes? For N 400, mine says online APPLICATION APPROVED...in the app tracker says IN LINE FOR OATH....for I 751 says online WE TRANSFERRED YOUR FILE ON MAY 3 2018 and the case tracker app says the same.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.