larnar1309

Non Obamacare / US Job health insurance

6 posts in this topic

Hello all! 

Finally glad to say I have my green card, SSN, and one way ticket to the states (haven't moved yet due to no cover for my work until April in the U.K.)

So I'll be living with my husband in Colorado from April. My husband is doing his Masters and technically a student right now. I am also doing my MSc online and will continue working for a British company in the U.S.

i don't think i can join my husband on Obamacare as i earn too much even though my earning will be coming from the U.K.? I also can't get health insurance from a US company as I'm working for a U.K. Company over there. 

Any idea on what the best thing is to do? Should I just simply look online? Roughly how expensive I can expect this to be? Any recommended health insurance companies in Colorado much appreciated! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 minutes ago, larnar1309 said:

Hello all! 

Finally glad to say I have my green card, SSN, and one way ticket to the states (haven't moved yet due to no cover for my work until April in the U.K.)

So I'll be living with my husband in Colorado from April. My husband is doing his Masters and technically a student right now. I am also doing my MSc online and will continue working for a British company in the U.S.

i don't think i can join my husband on Obamacare as i earn too much even though my earning will be coming from the U.K.? I also can't get health insurance from a US company as I'm working for a U.K. Company over there. 

Any idea on what the best thing is to do? Should I just simply look online? Roughly how expensive I can expect this to be? Any recommended health insurance companies in Colorado much appreciated! 

I also live in colorado. I payfor insurance for me and my husband through work a little bit over 200 bucks a month. Depends on the company that uwork for.

Welcome to colorado. Nice to have great people to move here

Bradford & Juliana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
11 hours ago, larnar1309 said:

Hello all! 

There are insurers that cover individuals who can't get on a group policy through work. It's typically going to be more expensive than what a big company's group plan costs simply because they negotiate deals to get the contract for a giant group. 

You can actually "shop" on the Obamacare marketplace to see who is offering individual policies in your area. You can purchase on healthcare.gov or just use their list for ideas and  go to the individual insurance providers directly to see if they offer additional plans not showing on the "marketplace". People with low income get a "discount" so to speak, but anybody can select insurance through healthcare.gov. Your husband's qualifications will be affected by your income when you marry. If you make too much as a "family" he may no longer qualify for his subsidy on his premium payments. 

14 hours ago, larnar1309 said:

Hello all! 

Most options are going to be out for you, considering you still intend to work for a UK employer.  Making too much money doesn't mean you can't sign up to O'care. It just means you won't get the discount, and honestly? Most people don't. But because of your circumstances things will be more complicated. Open enrollment is over, so you'll need to qualify under special enrollment, and because of your employment situation you'll likely need to speak to someone (or several someone's if they aren't helpful). Special enrollment factors can be a new marriage, a loss of coverage from somewhere else, or moving to a new place. You've already been married for a time, so likely that option won't be used. Consider the remaining two options for qualifying.

You can also buy insurance out of pocket from any insurance company that offers in your state or buying insurance from any insurance company that offers in your state via O'care. Sounds like the same thing right? That's because it pretty much is! The same plans on O'care, you can find privately pretty much. As for prices, be advised there will always be sticker shock. I once had private insurance, until my husband got us covered via his workplace. With BCBS we were slated to be paying well over $800 per month. Have to tell you that the plan wasn't the best either, as it had a high deductible. Many states don't have much of a choice or room for affordable plans, so as to how expensive it will be - will entirely depend on the state you live and what plan you choose. Either way, you're going to need a qualifier. You can also go without insurance and wait until the next open enrollment period, however that's not ideal for many people.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

On 2018/1/18 at 2:08 AM, julis82 said:

I also live in colorado. I payfor insurance for me and my husband through work a little bit over 200 bucks a month. Depends on the company that uwork for.

Welcome to colorado. Nice to have great people to move here

12 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

There are insurers that cover individuals who can't get on a group policy through work. It's typically going to be more expensive than what a big company's group plan costs simply because they negotiate deals to get the contract for a giant group. 

You can actually "shop" on the Obamacare marketplace to see who is offering individual policies in your area. You can purchase on healthcare.gov or just use their list for ideas and  go to the individual insurance providers directly to see if they offer additional plans not showing on the "marketplace". People with low income get a "discount" so to speak, but anybody can select insurance through healthcare.gov. Your husband's qualifications will be affected by your income when you marry. If you make too much as a "family" he may no longer qualify for his subsidy on his premium payments. 

9 hours ago, yuna628 said:

Most options are going to be out for you, considering you still intend to work for a UK employer.  Making too much money doesn't mean you can't sign up to O'care. It just means you won't get the discount, and honestly? Most people don't. But because of your circumstances things will be more complicated. Open enrollment is over, so you'll need to qualify under special enrollment, and because of your employment situation you'll likely need to speak to someone (or several someone's if they aren't helpful). Special enrollment factors can be a new marriage, a loss of coverage from somewhere else, or moving to a new place. You've already been married for a time, so likely that option won't be used. Consider the remaining two options for qualifying.

You can also buy insurance out of pocket from any insurance company that offers in your state or buying insurance from any insurance company that offers in your state via O'care. Sounds like the same thing right? That's because it pretty much is! The same plans on O'care, you can find privately pretty much. As for prices, be advised there will always be sticker shock. I once had private insurance, until my husband got us covered via his workplace. With BCBS we were slated to be paying well over $800 per month. Have to tell you that the plan wasn't the best either, as it had a high deductible. Many states don't have much of a choice or room for affordable plans, so as to how expensive it will be - will entirely depend on the state you live and what plan you choose. Either way, you're going to need a qualifier. You can also go without insurance and wait until the next open enrollment period, however that's not ideal for many people.

Many thanks to all of you! And thank you for the warm welcome and details.

ive had a look on the sites recommended and it seems like I can set up an appt. for free to check if I can enrol for O'care under the special circumstances as you mentioned. But I can also ask then about the other options :) 

thank you so much!! Great help!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
9 hours ago, larnar1309 said:

Many thanks to all of you! And thank you for the warm welcome and details.

ive had a look on the sites recommended and it seems like I can set up an appt. for free to check if I can enrol for O'care under the special circumstances as you mentioned. But I can also ask then about the other options :) 

thank you so much!! Great help!! 

Make sure you are not falling for some insurance agent's plot to get your business. They sometimes give you any pitch to get your business. Not that all independent agents are a bad thing, but understand you can figure out who is providing insurance in your state and call up the company directly and ask your questions. If you found some bright ad on google, they may know nothing about your state or immigration specifically. Be wary. Ask questions.

Also understand that "Obamacare" is a slang name for a law concerning healthcare insurance called the Affordable Care Act. You do not actually enroll in something named Obamacare. You will enroll with, pay, and deal with an insurance company like Aetna, BlueCross, United Healthcare....depending on who is offering in your state. (Many things in America are left to each state government to administer and make state decisions about. Insurance is one. Also education, marriage/divorce, driver licensing, banking and others.) 

Since the Obamacare law went into effect, my health insurance is a nightmare. BlueCross for two years, each year more money and worse policy. "Your policy is no longer offered. Pick a new one." Then they quit offering individual policies in my area. Find another company, repeat above. All the big name insurers have pretty much bailed out of offering in my state. This year I had a choice of two companies I have never heard of. The best doctors and hospitals won't even take that insurance. The first $6000 in medical care is out of my pocket before insurance will pay a portion.  It all sucks really. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.