aviator99

K1 Interview...Original Birth Certificate?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

Question: For the interview, it states that the beneficiary must bring the -original- birth certificate. My fiance is from the Philippines but has status in Canada (work visa; she is not a PR or Citizen of Canada). Her family in the Philippines does not have her original birth certificate.

But, her mother went to the Civil Registrar General Philippine Statistics Authority and requested it from the government office. They gave her a copy of the birth certificate from their files; it is NOT notarized, but was printed on special color-fibre paper, has a signature of the representative who pulled the file and her name. Also has a barcode on there for tracking purposes and says "BEST POSSIBLE IMAGE: PAGE 1 OF 1 COPY"

Will this be okay for the interview? Because it says "PAGE 1 OF 1 COPY", doesn't say Original -- but it is an actual copy of the original document (which was lost). I mean, they just dont have the original one from the 1980's... am I just overthinking this?

Thanks all!

I don't think the PSA/ NSO birth certificate has to be notarized. The one she has right now should work

Edited by bellashay

=To God Be The Glory =

DCF for CR1
02-23-2016 Filed I- 130 @ US Embassy Manila
03-03-2016 NOA 2
03-04-2016 Received MNL Case Number
04-04-2016 Interview (Approved!) Visa ISSUED the same day
04-06-2016 Visa on hand! Picked up from 2Go MOA @ 5:30 PM
04-11-2016 POE @ Minneapolis, MN

05-12-2016 Received SSN

07-07-2016 Greencard arrived!

ROC

01-11-2018 ROC window opens

01-13-2018 Mailed ROC application to CSC

01-26-2018 Received NOA (dated: 01/22) 

05-24-2018 Biometrics 

01-23-2019 i751 Approved 

01-31-2019  10 Year Greencard arrived! 

N400

03-16-2019 Submitted application online

03-16-2019 NOA1

04-09-2019 Biometrics 

11-13-2019 Interview, approved 

12-04-2019 Oath taking. I'm now a naturalized US Citizen. 

=It Always Seems Impossible Until It's Done=

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses!

3 hours ago, Dee elle said:

By original, they mean one that is issued by the authority who registers and hold the records... so it sounds like you should be fine 

That's kind of what I thought as well but just wanted to confirm...it'd be kind of strange if they MUST have the one from the actual date of the birth.

3 hours ago, bellashay said:

I don't think the PSA/ NSO birth certificate has to be notarized. The one she has right now should work

thank you!

3 hours ago, Redheadguy03 said:

It's supposed to be a psa/nso birth certificate. It's not notarized, but it's got a seal and writing. You generally get it from the local office in the province you were born. 

Yup I think that's the one. It's on a faded yellow/red paper (half left page yellow, half right page red) with pieces of fiber in the paper, has the PSA security seal in the top left and says PSA in the center. Her mom also sent me the receipt for it (had to pay to get it from the PSA) and it was purchased from "Republic of the Philippines Philippine Statistics Authority"...for what she bought: "Copy Issuance - Birth Certificate". It was $140.00 Philippine Pesos. 

As far as writing, the birth certificate itself was all hand written back from the 80's. Nobody wrote anything new on this form itself it appears. Do you think this is all okay/sounds right?

• 1 year later...
Timeline
On 1/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, aviator99 said:

Thanks for all the responses!

That's kind of what I thought as well but just wanted to confirm...it'd be kind of strange if they MUST have the one from the actual date of the birth.

thank you!

Yup I think that's the one. It's on a faded yellow/red paper (half left page yellow, half right page red) with pieces of fiber in the paper, has the PSA security seal in the top left and says PSA in the center. Her mom also sent me the receipt for it (had to pay to get it from the PSA) and it was purchased from "Republic of the Philippines Philippine Statistics Authority"...for what she bought: "Copy Issuance - Birth Certificate". It was $140.00 Philippine Pesos. 

As far as writing, the birth certificate itself was all hand written back from the 80's. Nobody wrote anything new on this form itself it appears. Do you think this is all okay/sounds right?

Red? Mine is more orangey. But I did get it from the PSA. 

• 2 months later...
Timeline

NSO birth certificate should work. 

i have my original bc from the 70s, not hand written though. ;) it's in a short paper unlike the long sheet nowadays.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.