doodlebug

Do you treat people online the same as in real life?

141 posts in this topic

Meh...I'm the same in person as I am online

I'm just an all-around b!tch. :whistle:

:D

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. I figure that since you usually don't get to edit your speech in real life or be constrained by topics or have ignore buttons (wouldn't that kick as$, though... *bloop*... no more annoying people), there are speech patterns you'll fall into online that you wouldn't in person, which helps to create your persona. At most, you can get a facet of me, and I can get a facet of you. It might be a true facet, but it's probably just a facet.

Some people are closer to their persona than others, but I'd be willing to bet that almost everyone is signficantly different in some substantial aspect.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline
Anyone who thinks they're not at all different in person is wrong, simply because you don't get to use emoticons in meatspace and the magic 'no offense, imo' shield doesn't work as well in person. This is also a good argument for the differences between knowing your s.o. online versus in person.

I also suspect that it's likely that people are more likely to rant in a forum or get pissy in a forum or ask passive-aggressive questions in a forum, and I don't think that fact says anything particular about the individuals in question.

I have no problem having a discussion & telling people how I feel even if it's not what they want to hear. I don't think you have to preface it as much with 'no offense but...' because irl I think people are more open to hearing different POVs and they're not as prone to actually take offense. I touched on this in my post by saying I personally am a bit more disclaimerish since text is one-dimensional, what you say online can be up for interpretation depending on how it's read.

And smileys are a poor substitution for facial expression and body language & tone...irl it's much easier to convey your point without confusion.

Exactly. Plus... how often in real life do people run around debating every point? That's the norm on many forums, but I usually don't get into debates with the barrista at Starbucks, y'know?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Exactly. Plus... how often in real life do people run around debating every point? That's the norm on many forums, but I usually don't get into debates with the barrista at Starbucks, y'know?

:lol: true. For me, saying what I think all the time is not about being afraid to do it IRL or something. I'm not "afraid" but I don't like to burn bridges or offend people I might run into again. Online, if I piss someone off, or they piss me off, then screw 'em, it has little bearing on my life.

I do talk without thinking almost as much as I post without thinking, though. (Regrettably, that's not infrequently.)

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

In my everyday life, I'm expected to have an opinion and defend it coz that's what I do for a living. My associates are professionals who are also paid to have opinions, and we appreciate a good debate. But we don't use smileys in our presentations, so that's different. It's nearly impossible to conduct a proper debate either, so that's also different. VJ is definitely not the same environment as my real life, so, I'm not like I am online IRL. I'm probably more like a fish out of water.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd say that if I was PM'ing or MSN'ing online in a more personal way I'd be one in the same. Hubby & I met online and for the most part we were what each other expected from our online personalities.

On THIS forum? I dunno.. I'd have to say yes & no... I'm more guarded for sure.. and I frantically and paranoically read through most things I post 3-4 times and edit them like crazy for accuracy and that no one is going to post a "this is a dumb post".. or some sarcastic remark afterwards. I find myself increasingly this way.. which is fine.. it's a forum, and some people depend solely on this site for their paperwork so accuracy is your "integrity". I understand that.. So I'd have to say for those reasons.. I'm not the "bubbly, easy going" normal self on this site in particular.

If we're talking about respect and basic everyday manners I would certainly HOPE so... or my mumma would kick my butt!! :whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am the same as I am online. When I meet people online or in person, I always go the extra mile to be respectful. Simply because I don't know the other person well and because we all come from different backgrounds with different experiences, and most importantly, different opinions, I try not to offend anyone.

I am glad someone posted this, because when I first joined and posted on VJ, some comments I received were very rude. No, ridiculously rude. And I strongly had to convince myself that this is ONLINE NOT IN PERSON, because I wanted to kick some a**. (Yes, while I’m pregnant.)

I have noticed two people in particular who post their smart mouth comments on every one else’s page. Although they have experience, they take pleasure in making people feel stupid. I strongly believe these individuals, as others, would not address someone the way they do online. All I can say is keep it real. Don’t use the internet as “protection” from an a** whoopin’, seriously. It’s not funny. And it makes people like me cross my fingers and pray that your personal information come up on my computer somewhere, because I will hill-billy my pregnant a** to your place of residence and slap you to sleep. Obviously, I have no tolerance for people who are rude to others.

(If anyone finds something offending in this reply, then please send me a PM, thank you.) :yes:

~Miss Jones

:thumbs::lol: You and I need to become a team, if that info ever does pop up on your pc let me know - there are a few on here that need to learn some manners and I have no doubt they wouldn't be that outspoken in real life, because if they were they would not succeed in their chosen profession or life in general - well not with many friends anyway.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes...I treat people the same and act the same. I do believe some believe in a double standard -- whether on here or out in the "real world". It seems it is ok to verbally berate or reduce others, but expect themselves to be treated with the utmost dignity. That irritates me and I call it out when I can.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

The reason people are meaner on line is because they know they can hide behind the PC. They cant be found for a good azz kicking lol.

Really?

Really????!!!!! :jest::P

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ahhh, go on.... :D

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Meh...I'm the same in person as I am online

I'm just an all-around b!tch. :whistle:

:D

Same here.

Although I don't agree with you being a b1tch, Sharon. :P

I have seen you worked up before though, Rrrrawr!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think people can be a lot different on the Internet as they don't have to worry what they say, because they don't really know the people. They also can't see the person so they are more inclined to be hurtful as they won't see the hurt expression on the other persons face. But, I try to be myself in all situations.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007