VetsWife328

Traffic tickets and N 400 interview

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

In 2011 I had a traffic ticket, went to court paid my fine and done.

Never got any documentation on it, will I need that for N 400 Interview?!

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

You should be OK, but if the officer is suspicious that you didn't pay your fine, s/he might ask for proof. This is on the USCIS website (2008 so could be out of date with a new administration):

"Question: What documentation is USCIS looking for on N-400 applications for clients who have traffic citations only (no arrests), such as speeding tickets? This is in reference to the Good Moral Character section, question 16, which asks if you have ever been arrested, cited, etc. Also, what is expected at the N-400 interview regarding these traffic tickets?

Response: Typically if an individual only has minor traffic citations with no arrests resulting (i.e. speeding tickets), they will not be required to submit any additional information with the N-400. However, if, during the course of the interview, an adjudications officer determines that there are circumstances that warrant further investigation, (e.g. there is an indication that the applicant has failed to pay fines associated with the citations), the officer may request additional documentation. (e.g. payment, certified police/court documents indicating such)."

Edited by bcb

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I did report it on the N 400 but don’t have any court documents. Fine was paid before I even left the court house.

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I had two tickets on my record. One in June 2008 which was a speeding ticket (71 in 60 zone). I took defensive driving for it. Second one I got in January 2017, which I got out of state (Virginia whereas I'm from Texas) and it was a misdemeanor (91 in 70 zone) for which court appearance was mandatory. So, I hired a lawyer and was able to bring it down to speeding ticket (79 in 70 zone) and paid the fines and defensive driving class. Please note that both of these tickets do not show on my driving record.

I reported both of them and attached the actual citations. In my interview, the Civics test, English test and questions about  the application were all done in about 3-4 mins. After that she started asking me questions about the ticket from January 2017. She asked me if I got arrested, which I was not. She asked me for the detailed judgement, which I provided to her, then she asked me proof of payment for the fines, which I provided to her. She looked at it, then done some work on computer, then left the room for couple of mins and then came back and said everything looks good and that she is going to make copies of all the evidence I provided. After that she said that she is approving the case. All of that investigation about the ticket took 10-12 mins. So you can imagine how big of a deal it was for her.

I would say you need to have all the evidence just in case they want it.

Thanks,

Khawar   

This is from the official N400 instruction:

NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if: (1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs; (2) The incident led to an arrest; or (3) The incident seriously injured another person. You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

I don't why would they ask for any documents if they are writing this in the instructions.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I had not reported any speeding tickets but gave the IO the updated form at my interview this morn. He said it is not required if it was just fine and no arrest, probation or license suspension and gave me the updated form back.

10 minutes ago, jkl said:

I had not reported any speeding tickets but gave the IO the updated form at my interview this morn. He said it is not required if it was just fine and no arrest, probation or license suspension and gave me the updated form back.

exactly and again this is from the N400 instruction:

NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if: (1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs; (2) The incident led to an arrest; or (3) The incident seriously injured another person. You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2018 at 11:29 AM, thmohds said:

exactly and again this is from the N400 instruction:

But did you answer "YES" on the question in PART 12 question 23? Because i got traffic fines too but did not involve an arrest or its not a drug or alchohol related violation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.