smilesammich

The FCC's Next Stunt: Reclassifying Cell Phone Data Service as 'Broadband Internet

38 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

There is actually an FCC charge on Phone Bill. It is a fund to provide services to rural areas, where it is not profitable to do so.

It got turned into Obama Phones 

obama phones are from bush my dear. we've been over this.

Just now, Nature Boy Flair said:

Duh thats silly, why would they call the Obama Phones... 

https://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/cellphone.asp

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

snopes is fake news

my bad, it wasn't bush - it was your boy reagan. and none of this is 'fake' - all verifiable.

• The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.
  • The Lifeline program only covers monthly discounts on landline or wireless telephone service for eligible consumers. It does not pay
    cellular companies to provide free cell phones to consumers, although some cellular service providers choose to offer that benefit to their Lifeline customers.
  • Lifeline discounts are not available only to “welfare recipients” — these programs are implemented at both the state and federal levels, so qualification criteria can vary from state to state, but in general participants must have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or take part in at least one of the following federal assistance programs:

47 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

You'd likely never notice.. I haven't,  though one phone on our plan goes over on a regular basis.  Give it a try!

nope, it only would make my bill 5$ less a month. the plan im on with verizon no longer exists so theres no going back, no trying it out. and i don't know if you've ever tried to remote into work on a bad connection when youre on a deadline, but it's not at all fun. 

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

You'd likely never notice.. I haven't,  though one phone on our plan goes over on a regular basis.  Give it a try!

What let me guess which phone.? 

The Verizon's speeds have been awful here lately.  Did a test it was .20 down 

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

What let me guess which phone.? 

The Verizon's speeds have been awful here lately.  Did a test it was .20 down 

Not the one you think.  We share a plan with my brother and his GF.  She kills 30GB in about 2-3 weeks some months.

Speeds here ain't too bad...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3490641768

Edited by IDWAF

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, smilesammich said:

nope, it only would make my bill 5$ less a month. the plan im on with verizon no longer exists so theres no going back, no trying it out. and i don't know if you've ever tried to remote into work on a bad connection when youre on a deadline, but it's not at all fun. 

So it's  $5 less, and unlimited... what is the downside again?  I'm not seeing the problem here.  If your plan is limited to 30GB, and you approach or go over, then an unlimited plan should be the bee's knees for you.

Edited by IDWAF

7 hours ago, IDWAF said:

So it's  $5 less, and unlimited... what is the downside again?  I'm not seeing the problem here.  If your plan is limited to 30GB, and you approach or go over, then an unlimited plan should be the bee's knees for you.

unlimited is not unlimited, see the fine print.

23 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

unlimited is not unlimited, see the fine print.

It is really unlimited data, but you could get throttled at some point.  Depending on the network and what data you are trying to pull, being throttled isn't always that bad.

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
19 hours ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Duh thats silly, why would they call the Obama Phones... 

Because only Democrats get credit for good intentions.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, jayjayj said:

It is really unlimited data, but you could get throttled at some point.  Depending on the network and what data you are trying to pull, being throttled isn't always that bad.

then why does verizon not recommend use of their unlimited data plan for home internet use?

1 minute ago, smilesammich said:

then why does verizon not recommend use of their unlimited data plan for home internet use?

I think they have different rules for tethering and hotspots, but I'm not entirely sure.  I'll have to check it out to answer that question.  

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!