Chris Duffy

American to be deported for begging and causing trouble in Ermita, Manila

14 posts in this topic

American to be deported for begging and causing trouble in Ermita, Manila

NOVEMBER 19, 2017 BY M G MARTIN

American beggar Ermita
Victor Didenko is now in custody pending deportation. Picture via Facebook

An American who has become notorious for begging and causing trouble on the streets of Ermita, Manila, is set to be deported.Victor Didenko, aged 47, had also overstayed his tourist visa and failed to renew his expired US passport.

Speaking today (Sunday, November 19), Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente confirmed that Didenko had been picked up on Friday near the corner of M H Del Pilar and Salas Street by the bureau’s fugitive search unit.

He is now being held at the Bureau of Immigration’s (BI) detention centre at Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City, and will be deported for being “undesirable, overstaying and undocumented” alien.

In a statement issued to the press, Mr Morente said: “Aside from being a notorious troublemaker, he will be deported for holding an expired US passport and overstaying his tourist visa.”

He added that Didenko had become a “burden to society” and been the “perennial subject of complaints by citizens who saw him frequently roam the streets of Manila and Pasay, begging for money from strangers and engaging in acts that disturb the peace”.

He continued: “We cannot allow unruly foreigners like him, who have no means of support, to stay in our country any longer, lest he becomes primarily dependent on the government for subsistence.”

In a garbled message posted on Facebook today, Didenko wrote:

Hi everyone I have been arrested and put in the immagraition detention center US embassy wrote a letter to the immagraition stating I was an undesirable alien I had a flight booked for Nov 24 now I could be in here for years people in here tell me my embassy is mad at me because I complainedned about them over charging me400dollers for my flight immagraition informed that they the arrested me because of this letter. I am crushed by this so lonely sad and depressed I could surely use some friends.”

Bobby Raquepo, of the BI’s fugitive search unit, said Didenko faced a Manila court in July on a charge of disturbing the peace. He was arrested on Mabini Street for shouting insults against Filipinos and challenging people to fight.

“We also heard that he had been begging from passersby on the pretext that he was robbed of his money and passport,” Mr Raquepo added.

Mr Didenko arrived in Manila in September last year and has been overstaying since March when his tourist visa expired. The US embassy has confirmed that his passport expired last month.

tap://philippineslifestyle.com/american-deported-begging-ermita/

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

18 hours ago, risia997 said:

maybe he did that on purpose so he can get a free trip back to his country.maybe hes really broke and cant even renew his passport

It appears the US Embassy arraigned a flight for him back to the USA.  The cost was $400 he complained the price was too high.  

So when he missed his flight it appears as if the US Embassy turned him into Philippines Immigrations

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do they not have Sanctuary Cities in PI?

ACLU?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Do they not have Sanctuary Cities in PI?

ACLU?

No

The Bureau of Immigration actually has a hotline number people can text and report people who have overstayed visas and they will get a reward.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/news/press-release/95-november-2014-press-releases/695-bi-launches-sa-immigration-magsumbong-reward-and-incentive-program

On 12/20/2017 at 4:19 AM, Chris Duffy said:

It appears the US Embassy arraigned a flight for him back to the USA.  The cost was $400 he complained the price was too high.  

So when he missed his flight it appears as if the US Embassy turned him into Philippines Immigrations

I wouldn't complain about a $400 flight from the Philippines to the US. Where can I get that deal?

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/23/2017 at 2:15 AM, jg121783 said:

I wouldn't complain about a $400 flight from the Philippines to the US. Where can I get that deal?

Well... apparently one way is to overstay your visa, let your passport expire, and act like an uncultured heathen. :jest:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/23/2017 at 4:15 AM, jg121783 said:

Umm I just booked $465 RT from NYC to CEB for March

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
53 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Umm I just booked $465 RT from NYC to CEB for March

It is not that unusual for round trip tickets to be cheaper than one-way.   Have seen that many times, especially flying from the Philippines.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

5 hours ago, Hank_ said:

It is not that unusual for round trip tickets to be cheaper than one-way.   Have seen that many times, especially flying from the Philippines.

I have never seen it that cheap coming from US mainland to PI on roundtrip, unless coming from California.  Usually at a deal that cheap you have long stay overs at connecting airports.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.